BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

521 - 530 of 530 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #521
Where in NC was the car? I used to live in Raleigh for many years, and about 10-12 years ago a techno-violet E39 M5 showed up on craigslist in Durham with ~150k miles and a totally wasted Caramel interior. The car was well beat and the guy was asking $9k initially and the last I saw it was down to $4500. Only later did I find out it was the one and only Individual Techno-Violet E39 M5.

Interestingly, this looks like a very similar neighborhood as that E39 lived in, but then again, you could say that about 100 times over around that area.
You nailed it! It's in Durham at the moment. It should be picked up next week.

That's was fairly cheap back then. My dream is to get my hands on a barn find E39 M5 Estoril blue one day. It's by far my favorite BMW color.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How long did it take for you to take the intake covers off?
I need to tackle that job and do you think I can do it on my own?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Part 2 of project Malaga is up on the channel!

It's the longest video I made to date but I'm pretty happy how it turned!
Freaking awesome man! So wonderful to see the car be given a second chance. Most people would've punted the thing or part it out. But you pushed through and now she's purring like a kitten and looks amazing. New owner is super lucky. Looking forward to your next adventure.

Sent from Uranus with Love.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #524
How long did it take for you to take the intake covers off?
I need to tackle that job and do you think I can do it on my own?
Takes about 8 hours more or less, is what everyone says as a lot of parts need to be removed. I think I could do it quicker now though.

It depends on how comfortable are you wrenching and your experience, but I think you can do it if you tackled other jobs on your car before. I'll send you some DIY links for it.

Freaking awesome man! So wonderful to see the car be given a second chance. Most people would've punted the thing or part it out. But you pushed through and now she's purring like a kitten and looks amazing. New owner is super lucky. Looking forward to your next adventure.

Sent from Uranus with Love.
Thank you! Glad to hear that.

I'm risking with a 45 min long video but I wanted to make it like a short movie that easy and quick to watch. I think it's more satisfying to watch from start to finish then to cut it into several smaller parts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
She's officially on the way! Heading towards New York right now.
Having worked my way through all 27 pages after you posted in the E60 forum I think this may be my favorite thread on M5Board! Really looking forward to the E60 rebuild and hope you post lots of pictures along with videos! Only shame is that it was stateside and didn't involve another trip to some beautiful European city to share pictures of through the build!

Need to find a project in Heidelberg one day to share pictures of the trip (I used to live there a long time ago) :)

·
Registered
856 Posts
Goddamned man you have balls! I surely hope this one doesn't end up bagging all of the enjoyment and profits you have seen through the years on your rebuilds thus far! It looks like it is gonna need some serious work and may have some serious hidden surprises. But man, what a great story this will make, if anyone can bring this beauty back to life the way she was meant to be taken care of, it is you!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
Having worked my way through all 27 pages after you posted in the E60 forum I think this may be my favorite thread on M5Board! Really looking forward to the E60 rebuild and hope you post lots of pictures along with videos! Only shame is that it was stateside and didn't involve another trip to some beautiful European city to share pictures of through the build!

Need to find a project in Heidelberg one day to share pictures of the trip (I used to live there a long time ago) :)
That is a lot of reading! Thanks :)

Yeah, it's a shame it's not a road trip but with the current situation, that's about the only way to buy a car.

I've been in Heidelberg several times, beautiful city!

Goddamned man you have balls! I surely hope this one doesn't end up bagging all of the enjoyment and profits you have seen through the years on your rebuilds thus far! It looks like it is gonna need some serious work and may have some serious hidden surprises. But man, what a great story this will make, if anyone can bring this beauty back to life the way she was meant to be taken care of, it is you!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, probably the dumbest move ever but I already made calculations for the worst-case scenario if say bearings spun (god forbid), that's something I wouldn't be able to fix as it would need a new engine or rebuild which is something out of my capabilities and I would have to sell it as is, but even in that case I will break-even or more likely even make money as it should cost me less than the cheapest one in Europe and those are SMG.

But, I'm really hoping to fix it up and drive it down the Autobahn, screaming V10 and 6-speed will be a special experience.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'm pulling for you man, good signs that you head the engine run and zero knocks. Hopefully it's fiddly electronics bits and just general maintenance items and a solid cleaning and she'll be ready to sing that V10 song!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Reminds me of my M5 rescue. A no start with a busted hood I paid $3500 for. Pulled over 50 codes on it.o_O

521 - 530 of 530 Posts