BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

481 - 496 of 496 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Part 1 of project Malaga, E31 850i is finished and live on the channel. I had a great time on this road trip!

Shame about the accident damage in the rear corner but I suppose it's, one of those unfortunate pitfalls of buying cars from people who don't know much about them or aren't as pedantic/detail orientated as you or us.

Which 6spd box does the 850i use? A ZF or other?

Interesting that you're in IT as well, what do you do specifically?

Cheers
NF aka Deepan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Thats a great
Thats a great rescue.
How come you like BMW so much? What you think of Porsche?
I like Porsche too but they are too expensive to play with, with BMW you can get a cheap E46/E39 and still have loads of fun with it. Though, I would definitely like to own 911 someday.

Shame about the accident damage in the rear corner but I suppose it's, one of those unfortunate pitfalls of buying cars from people who don't know much about them or aren't as pedantic/detail orientated as you or us.

Which 6spd box does the 850i use? A ZF or other?

Interesting that you're in IT as well, what do you do specifically?

Cheers
NF aka Deepan

Getrag S6S 560G which is specific for the 850i/850CSi and as far as I know, no one rebuilds them so they are sought after stuff.

Network/sys administration, nothing too glamorous.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Got another good report from Blackstone on the M5. Shell seems to be doing well for me, 4.628 miles on this oil.

People often ask me if rod bearings are original on this engine, seems to be a general misconception as I always have to explain it's not a common issue on S62. Going to keep up with regular oil changes and as long as the oil filter and results are clean, I don't think I'll be changing them any time soon.

blackstone.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Mini update.

The reason why E31 wouldn't start: bad fuel pumps, ignition wires and ultimately clogged fuel injectors that looked like this when I pulled them out.

20200202_113903.jpg

20200202_115927.jpg

After cleaning and servicing them.

20200208_113654.jpg

20200208_113659.jpg

I also threw a new radiator at it. Based on the previous E31 experience where the original one started leaking shortly after it was brought back to life this seemed like a smart move.

20200209_110835.jpg

20200209_110845.jpg

It's running but really rough upon a cold start so that's next to sort out.

I finally ponied up for a smoke machine as it's a useful tool to how around and confirmed my suspicion that the intake manifold gaskets are leaking on one side.

20200212_193058.jpg

20200212_192900.jpg

20200212_192903.jpg

So intake manifolds need to come out and gaskets resealed. On top of that, I can't bleed the brakes as the ABS pump is 100% clogged and brake fluid won't flow through it. So still lots to do.

I always wanted to get Milwaukee cordless ratchet but they are around $250 in Europe and I didn't feel like spending the money so I got the Chinese copy instead. It actually feels heavy and sturdy and gets the job done well. I'll be using for the next 30 days and decide if I want to keep it but so far for $55 not bad at all.

20200212_193750.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
Since 8er can finally move under its own power, I drove it off the lift to attend the M5 and replace thrust arms.

20200213_135659.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, Lemforder bushings spilled their guts after just 12k miles, probably even earlier and it was just getting progressively worse.

20200213_152204.jpg

20200213_180236.jpg

20200213_180238.jpg

Ball joints are still good but bushings are very toasty. I actually wrote an email to ZF in Germany and asked if they are aware of this as I've heard and read so many cases of these bushings failing prematurely on E39. They said they had issues with these bushings but resolved them from 2018 onwards. My thrust arms are from 2016 according to the date stamp.

Whether they actually resolved it I have no idea but I ended up going with TRW this time. Hopefully they last longer than Lemforder did. The rest of the suspension I changed back in May of 2018 with Lemforder parts and all of that it holding up fine.

20200213_140406.jpg

20200213_175328.jpg

I still have to drive on the Autobahn to see if steering wheel shake under braking is gone, but just on the way home last night the difference is so noticeable. I can't believe how long I drove with busted thrust arm bushings.

Next stuff that needs fixing on the M5 before TUV inspection in May: rear brakes, diff leak, shifter linkage and likely new tires.
Also, out of 4 power steering lines that this car has, I replaced 3 and yesterday I noticed that the 4th is leaking as well. The one that goes from the PS pump to the steering box. Looks like great fun to replace it and a pretty good hit on the wallet at a whopping $185 price tag.

20200213_175336.jpg

I'm back on E31 now which I'll hopefully finish soon so I can move it. I really want to get back on E38 and get it ready for TUV, it should've been ready a long time ago but I'm really struggling for free time to attend all of these cars. The rusty black 750iL I haven't touched since I bought it in September. I'm currently trying to cut my working hours to 4 days in a week so that way I get 1 full day to break and fix stuff in the garage.

Cheers for now.

20200213_195715.jpg

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I replaced my thrust arms with Lemforder back in 2015 and they're still good. I guess they made a change in 2016.
Man you have a full plate, good luck switching to four day work week.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The milwaukee cordless ratchet kits with bags and batteries are about £220 in the UK so €250 but I'm sure one of us has trade accounts with various tool retailers and can get a better price if you want one

·
Registered
840 Posts
Wow, I just looked up those Milwaukee electric ratchets here at the Home Depot and now they are up around $169 USD for just the tool, no batteries. When I bought mine a few years back I am pretty sure I paid $99 for it, as I already had an impact driver that came with 2 batteries. Nuts how they have gone up in price, but man what an amazing tool for spots where you can get the ratchet head and socket in there, but no room to actually ratchet, also they are the most amazing tool for removing things like valve cover bolts when there are so many of them. I love this tool, most favorite one in my entire tool chest for working on cars! Torque is so light too there is basically zero chance of stripping anything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
I replaced my thrust arms with Lemforder back in 2015 and they're still good. I guess they made a change in 2016.
Man you have a full plate, good luck switching to four day work week.

Thanks, man!

I thought mine were fine until I took the covers off and saw that they were leaking. They made a mistake somewhere along the line and I'm really surprised they didn't make a recall.

The milwaukee cordless ratchet kits with bags and batteries are about £220 in the UK so €250 but I'm sure one of us has trade accounts with various tool retailers and can get a better price if you want one

Haha, I appreciate it but last couple of months have been very expensive. I just dropped 650€ to get new electricity in the garage for the lift.

Cheapest I found it in Germany is 230€ for the kit and for that money I can almost buy new rear brakes for the M5.

Wow, I just looked up those Milwaukee electric ratchets here at the Home Depot and now they are up around $169 USD for just the tool, no batteries. When I bought mine a few years back I am pretty sure I paid $99 for it, as I already had an impact driver that came with 2 batteries. Nuts how they have gone up in price, but man what an amazing tool for spots where you can get the ratchet head and socket in there, but no room to actually ratchet, also they are the most amazing tool for removing things like valve cover bolts when there are so many of them. I love this tool, most favorite one in my entire tool chest for working on cars! Torque is so light too there is basically zero chance of stripping anything.
I feel you, that's why I wanted to get one in the first place, it saves a lot of time. I'd have to get the kit with a battery and charger so it's pricey.

I used this one yesterday on brackets for the sway bar bushings and it's so much quicker and easier than by hand. If it lasts me a year, I'd be happy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Haha, I appreciate it but last couple of months have been very expensive. I just dropped 650€ to get new electricity in the garage for the lift.

Cheapest I found it in Germany is 230€ for the kit and for that money I can almost buy new rear brakes for the M5.
I have a pair of used rear calipers and discs you can have for the cost of shipping and a very small donation to the M5 Touring fund

·
Registered
553 Posts
I also bought mine for $99; didn't realize they went up so much. Pretty much all my tools are Milwuakee, other than my miter and table saw which are DeWalt.

481 - 496 of 496 Posts