WhatsApp Image 2019-12-08 at 15.58.16 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-08 at 15.58.16 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-08 at 15.58.16 (4).jpeg

20191211_200221.jpg

20191211_203348.jpg

20191211_203104.jpg

20191211_203109.jpg

20191211_203723.jpg

So much space for activities underneath! This is the highest position with the biggest vehicle I have and the clearance is great.

I was deliberately delaying oil change on the M5 until the lift was done. This is going to be so easy.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I know you're in another country and all, but I am doing something similar soon, so I have a few questions:

What made you decide to get a lift like this as opposed to one that has arms that go under the jack pads? Is there a method to use with a lift like this once the car is up off the ground if you also need to do any suspension work and get the wheels off the lift?

Where did you get it and did you have to pay excess shipping to get it to you or did you pick it up yourself?

How heavy was the entire thing, and each post individually?

How much in total?

Looks AMAZING.. bolt those posts down bud before it's too late!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
Danke! Look at my previous post - https://www.m5board.com/threads/my-german-autobahn-mile-muncher-01-titanium-silver-e39-m5.580098/page-22#post-7583945

Literally everyone is asking me why I didn't get a 2-post lift which makes total sense since it's a lot better for mechanical work. I mulled over this for quite some time and short of ripping the current garage floor and pouring new concrete, there is no way that I can install 2-post lift safely. 2-post needs a minimum of 20 cm (8 in) concrete thickness for safe installation and current concrete is 10-15 cm. To do new floor would take me roughly 2 months (1 month to let it dry properly) and investing $1.500 in a garage that's not mine. And the 2nd reason you can read in my previous post.

Maybe in a couple of years if finances allow it and I realize the 4-post doesn't work for my purposes, I'll revisit the 2-post idea.

Yes, you can use a small bottle jack or buy an optional axle jack which I'll get next month. You can also lift the car completely and put it on jack stands.
You can see how that works here at 6:40 of the video. Btw, the whole instructional video is made with this robotic voice which is very annoying.

I got it from Twin Busch, these are Chinese made lifts that everyone in the world is using so you'll likely get the same product just rebranded. Despite being made in China, it's good quality stuff.
The shipping is 390€/$434 which seems to be standard here for this type of a shipment, I paid a bit less since I had friends with a trailer pick it up.

The whole thing is 850 kg or 1.873 lb. Not sure about the individual posts, but I can tell you I can lift them myself so they are not that heavy. The 2 tracks are the heavy part here, took 6 people to lift it, 4 strong people or an engine hoist would also suffice.

4-post lift alone is $2.500, total with other bits like hydraulic oil, mobile kit and delivery was $3.120. I assembled it on my own which is a fun experience and you actually learn how the whole thing functions. In comparison, the 2-post lift is noticeably cheaper at $1.450.

My advice is that if you plan to do mainly mechanical work and you have enough space and a good foundation, definitely go for the 2-post. You just get better access to everything once the car is in the air. I also plan to do detailing work (polishing) and not having pillars in the middle is a plus for the 4-post.

The beauty of this 4-post is that it's mobile so you don't even need to bolt it down, but eventually I will for peace of mind and more stability once I'm certain of its final position. In one of their larger halls, they have 8 of them set up unbolted and they have been standing like that for more than 10 years.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Congrats man! Looks great.

Don't have to bolt it down. I had mine just sitting on top of the floor for years now. Every now and then it will wobble when i'm undoing some stubborn nut and scare the living daylights out of me, but its is very stable.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
Danke!

I started to get a very violent steering wheel shake under braking and I was suspecting the rotors might be bad but nein, thrust arm bushings are toast!

20191217_213939.jpg

20191217_214555.jpg

20191217_214018.jpg

Lemforder thrust arms that I installed when I bought the car in May of 2018 as part of complete suspension overhaul. 12k miles later and both of them leaked.
I've never had issues with Lemforder other than with a pair of sway bar links that went after 11k miles but I expected a lot from control arms. So disappointing and frustrating. I ordered TRW arms and will try to send these back under warranty.

·
Registered
843 Posts
UG THIS BLOWS To see. I also have all front control arms ready to go into my M5, all lemforder. Read some recent reports about the bushings failing multiple times on others and now am wary of using these parts. I also have used Lemforders on my previous E46 for 12 years without issue. This is bad to hear. FCP just had a recall also on the Lemforder center link, as the ball joints had been reportedly "dropping out" on a few cars in Europe! FCP Sent a TRW OE Genuine replacement part, but I have yet to install.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #448 (Edited)
Generally, Lemforder is always my go-to brand for suspension parts. We'll see how long TRW ones last. I used TRW control arms on the E38 too.

I read about that recall, I also used Lemforder center link and I had a look last night to make sure mine isn't part of that recall. It has 0717 date on it which isn't part of the recall so I'm good there. Btw, kudos to FCP customer support, I'll bet you I'm going to have a tough time returning these control arms.

·
4,308 Posts
Hopefully FCPEuro supports enough E39s to cause a big spike in returns and help get the ball rolling at ZF to fix this like the center-link. I've used TRW arms when they were first introduced at FCP, but the ball joints failed immediately, they would cause noticeable pops when pulling into parking spots, and doing 3 points turns.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I've also used some TRW stuff back on my E46, and pretty sure I remember it being junky and swore I'd never use it ever again. So I was somewhat shocked to see that the Genuine BMW part they sent me to replace the lemforder one was TRW...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
Center link on E39 M5 from the factory was always TRW part, control arms Lemforder. I used TRW on the E31 and E38, at least in hands and looking at them they look like good quality OEM parts. The control arms I removed from the 850i were original and TRW made and the bushings were still in good shape but the ball joint rubber boot was torn, new ones look 100% identical to the old ones.

It's clear that Lemforder arms are suffering from premature bushing failure, here's another topic - https://www.m5board.com/threads/lemforder-track-arms-leaked-after-2-weeks.553409/

I'll give TRW a go and see how long they last. I don't see other options other than monoball which I don't want, if I go with Lemforder they'll likely fail again and I was always turned off from Meyle HD since they were never an OEM supplier.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #453
I think I remember your post about it. It sucks. It's been happening for too long to be a bad batch at this point.

I didn't have time this month to finish part 2 of project Bilbao but I made a quick video of the oil change and oil level sensor replacement on the M5. That's when I learned the bushings are shot.

I mainly wanted to test the new camera which I'm yet to master and play with the lift. Still can't believe I have a damn lift!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Very cool. Does your garage door just slides to the side?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #458
Hope everyone is having a great start of the New Year!

I certainly couldn't have expected better and more interesting kick off. YouTube picked up out of nowhere in the last few days and the video with the rusty 750iL has 116k views!
Part 2 of Dubai 750iL is nearly at 50k views.

I'm bewildered and amazed that this many people would watch my videos.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hope everyone is having a great start of the New Year!

I certainly couldn't have expected better and more interesting kick off. YouTube picked up out of nowhere in the last few days and the video with the rusty 750iL has 116k views!
Part 2 of Dubai 750iL is nearly at 50k views.

I'm bewildered and amazed that this many people would watch my videos.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I told you so!!!

Your channel is brilliant, the content is so good compared to other channels and your editing is improving with every video!! Keep it going mate!

441 - 460 of 500 Posts