BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

321 - 333 of 333 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm not predicting much nor do I have goals to turn it into something big. I'm not going to put pressure on myself and on releasing the videos. I'm doing this for fun and self-fulfillment so I'm just going to take it easy and see how it goes.
Look, if I don't start seeing your videos being sponsored by Lemforder, Koni, and Hella, then I'm unsubscribing!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Lol, one can dream. At the moment, my main goal is to get a lift of some sort. I cannot work on the floor anymore.

Landlords have kindly allowed it but the concrete in this garage is not thick enough for a 2-post lift, it needs a minimum of 20 cm (8 in) and this one varies from 10 to 15 cm (4 to 6 in). So my option is a 4-post lift but it's too expensive and too big so I'm still contemplating.

·
Registered
935 Posts
4-post lifts are useless for suspension work. They are great for storage.
Get a QuickJack, cheaper than 2-post, can work on suspension.

·
4,289 Posts
The quickjack is not gonna be any better than working under the jack stands. The true benefit of the quickjack is eliminating the need to raise a car one side at a time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
The quickjack is not gonna be any better than working under the jack stands. The true benefit of the quickjack is eliminating the need to raise a car one side at a time.
Both great points hence why I'm taking my time with the decision.

4-post is not ideal as it is expensive, takes a lot of space and like you said, not great for suspension work.
I also considered QuickJack and was actually very close to buying it, but in Europe the price is around $1.900 and I can get a good 2-post lift for less than that. Plus, I think QuickJack is not a permanent solution for what I want.

The 2-post lift would be ideal for my needs but other than putting a new layer of concrete, it can't be installed safely. Since I'm only renting the garage, investing in new concrete is complicated and a big commitment.

Great video!
Thank you, Kevin!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Unless I’m missing something, 4-posters, lift the cars from the sill jacking points, (behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels, so this leaves the entire wheel arch clear for suspension work, so why is one “useless” for suspension work?

Cheers
Deepan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
935 Posts
Unless I’m missing something, 4-posters, lift the cars from the sill jacking points, (behind front wheels and in front of rear wheels, so this leaves the entire wheel arch clear for suspension work, so why is one “useless” for suspension work?

Cheers
Deepan

This is a 4-post lift. It does NOT lifts the car from jacking points - you just drive on it via ramps. You can't really jack up the car to take the wheel off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
That's where this comes into play. I think this is what Deepan meant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's where this comes into play. I think this is what Deepan meant.

Bingo, I knew I’d remembered some obscure version of a four post / corner thingybob.

However, I think a scissor lift or two post ramp would be best for a non/semi - professional garage, to save space and to work on a single car at a time.

Whatever you choose, given your meticulous attention to detail, will be the superior choice for the application.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Scissor lift is good if you are doing bodywork but if you want to remove say exhaust or do a clutch job, then it's def not a good fit.

2-post is perfect like I said, but it can't be safely installed in this garage and it's not something you want to play with it. I think in the end, 4-post is the best option for my conditions but we'll see.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Scissor lift is good if you are doing bodywork but if you want to remove say exhaust or do a clutch job, then it's def not a good fit.

2-post is perfect like I said, but it can't be safely installed in this garage and it's not something you want to play with it. I think in the end, 4-post is the best option for my conditions but we'll see.
How hard is finding another garage? Do I need to make some calls?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
You'd need to pull some strings for sure. 😃

Damn near impossible to find something, I'm super lucky to have found even this. If you go outside Frankfurt then it becomes a bit easier but I don't want to waste time traveling and getting stuck in traffic, the current one is just 10-15 min from my apartment.

321 - 333 of 333 Posts
About this Discussion
332 Replies
49 Participants
sreten
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing