BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky

I have a 650 Convertible and the wife loves it. I like the car, but wanted a little more, so I decided on an M6. I wanted the an Indianapolis Red Coupe with a V10 and found a couple on line, even drove to South Carolina, cashiers check in my pocket, to get one. My friend, who owns a used car lot, went with me and suggested a Vehicle Health Check by the BMW dealer before purchase and they turned up $10k in repairs that needed to be make before we even left town for home. I put my check back in my pocket and let them keep that one. Then I found this one. It was at a dealer in Florida, so on the road again. We drove the car, it was all I'd hoped it would be, so we went back into the sales floor to do the deal. My dealer friend had cashed the check and had it in $100 bills in his back pack. We were dressed in jeans and pull over shirts and the salesman's first question was "How you boys plan to pay for this car?" My buddy started pulling stacks of bills out of his backpack and replied "$100 bills"! That brought the Sales Manager off his perch quickly. A 2 hour negotiating session, offers and counter offers, landed me the car and I drove it home, about 900 miles. Great highway car, hauls ***, sounds great, not my favorite around town car. It's at home on the road. Not Plug n Play, this is a complicated ride with many driver adjustment options, power, suspension, shift rpm and firmness. Lots to get accustomed to and preferences to set. No regrets so far, except I waited so long to buy one! Fine piece of machinery, even if it's preferred oil is $15 a quart and I think it holds 10 quarts--- got and oil change kit with oil and filter on the way. I am working my way through the owner's manual and learning more about the M6 every day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats, you now own one of the absolute all time greates road cars known to man. You'll love it!
Thanks, I love it so far-- Took it on a road trip down into south Louisiana a couple of months ago, ran back roads beside the levees most of the way. Good roads, little traffic, tight turns and long straights and my M6. Awesome trip! That thing just plants and goes, no drama. Turns like it is on rails! And that V10 singing up through the gears is worth the price of admission!
I think it has found its' forever home----

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing my Car Lot Owner Buddy did teach me while I was looking for my M6 was that the original window sticker is called a Monroney Label. It is available on line if you have the VIN number and is a copy of the original window sticker, showing all options and original MSRP. I found and printed mine for my M6 and discovered that it was $106,000 dollars new! There is a small charge to get it, but it is interesting to see it. Just FYI if you didn't already know it----

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
323 Posts
Hello ronterry597,

Welcome to the best, in my opinion, BMW engine ever produced. It gets a bad reputation, but mostly undeserving given its "super car" status.

Following your post.

P-Chi

·
Premium Member
E60 M5 and building engines
323 Posts
You like me had an e60 before going M. I had a 545i and I learned a lot about the chassis. I was more than ready to step up to an M5, although the repair bills can be high. Still love my 06 SMG m5
Looking forward to posts on the E60 platform. My biggest issue was the oil sensor causing the alternator not to charge. IBS (Battery), Alt, and Oil sensor all on the same network! Replaced alternator when the root cause was the oil level sensor pulling the network down.....GRRR.

In fairness, still have confirmed my software to ITSA on my new laptop....understand it will be much better than my standard scanner.

P-Chi

·
Registered
136 Posts
SMG or manual 6? I have enjoyed mine for the last 40,000 miles and loving it. Recently installed MPower Motorsports headers because I love the sound. I have lots of spare parts, a set of APE headers (yours for $1500) just came off to make room for the $3100 new headers. And... lots of free hints and tricks to make your M6 as enjoyable as mine. That's why we have a community of CRAZY people.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SMG or manual 6? I have enjoyed mine for the last 40,000 miles and loving it. Recently installed MPower Motorsports headers because I love the sound. I have lots of spare parts, a set of APE headers (yours for $1500) just came off to make room for the $3100 new headers. And... lots of free hints and tricks to make your M6 as enjoyable as mine. That's why we have a community of CRAZY people.
Mine is an SMG. I would have preferred the 6 speed, but the SMG works fine as a manually shifted gearbox. It’s really not happy around town, in stop and go, it’s happy place is the road! By the way, aniPad mini fits perfectly on the console and looks almost factory, to run the Waze app—

1 - 10 of 10 Posts