BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After driving my 2001 Cosmos Black 530I for years, and always wishing it was an M5, I finally bought one.

I searched for over 1 year to find this 2001 Carbon Black M5 with only 55,000 miles on it. This will be a work in progress, but it appeared to be a garage queen. I plan on working on it over the next year or 2 or 3. I thought I only wanted an M5 in jet black, but the carbon black is so cool as the car changes color as you walk from front to back.

Anyway, I am in the Phila area, and will be looking for advise from some M5 veterans!

Attachments

·
Registered
355 Posts
Very Nice I see you picked up the best color. I also wanted a jet black and my car was advertised as black but when I saw it I actually liked the carbon black better:applause::applause:

Reactions: E39forever

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very nice find! Proof that patience pays off!
Also rare to see a dark M5 without tinted windows :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Nice gem you got there! No tint after all those years must of been real HOT.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It looks like a fantastic car! Welcome to owning the best e39!

It is rare to see a black e39 M5 with non tinted windows. It looks great, I much prefer it that way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the kind words

Thanks for the kind words!
As far as "working on it", I did get in contact with Timmay, and did a muffler delete! I kept the stock mufflers in case I want to undo the change.

Issues are....
Mirror is bad/leaking?
Wheels are turning black. I will need advice on refinishing... Someone told me they get repainted??? is that true?
Molding is bad. Started ordering replacement molding.
Headlights are faded
Paint has some acid rain marks?....Do I compound? polish?
Pixels are bad. Sending away the display now. I hope it doesn't come back with 155,000 miles on it!!! instead of 55,000 lol (Actually verified the mileage with Carfax before purchase)
Nav needs updating...Still original firmware
Some other issues, but engine seems strong and no door dings. Interior looks good.
Looking for advice on how to keep this car in my family for a long time!
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Thanks for the kind words!
As far as "working on it", I did get in contact with Timmay, and did a muffler delete! I kept the stock mufflers in case I want to undo the change.

Issues are....
Mirror is bad/leaking?
Wheels are turning black. I will need advice on refinishing... Someone told me they get repainted??? is that true?
Molding is bad. Started ordering replacement molding.
Headlights are faded
Paint has some acid rain marks?....Do I compound? polish?
Pixels are bad. Sending away the display now. I hope it doesn't come back with 155,000 miles on it!!! instead of 55,000 lol (Actually verified the mileage with Carfax before purchase)
Nav needs updating...Still original firmware
Some other issues, but engine seems strong and no door dings. Interior looks good.
Looking for advice on how to keep this car in my family for a long time!
Thanks !!!
Welcome, nice-looking M5.

Mirror leak is common...it was covered under extended warranty by the OE company for a while. Go here for information on the fix: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...189074-e39-m5-auto-dimming-mirror-repair.html
Paint...given your car is CB, I'd have a high-end professional detailer take a look.
Wheels...I haven't had to refinish so don't have first-hand experience, but many board members ship their wheels to Prince: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...e-shadow-paint-process-wheel-refinishing.html

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Very nice find! Proof that patience pays off!
Also rare to see a dark M5 without tinted windows :)
Nice gem you got there! No tint after all those years must of been real HOT.
It looks like a fantastic car! Welcome to owning the best e39!

It is rare to see a black e39 M5 with non tinted windows. It looks great, I much prefer it that way.
Interesting! I have a jet black with no tint in Texas! Bought it like that. I thought it would look better with tint but just haven't got around to it. I might leave it untined and keep it original now.

OP- very nice find indeed.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Congrats! But look at that rear deck! It has completely faded!
Yeah mine was the same way when I got from the prior owner, he said when he parked at work the rear of the car was facing the sun, the "///" tri color badge was faded too at the top. The shelf isn't too hard to replace and I'm sure someone will have a decent spare for sale sometime soon. (Clemster?)

OP- have you driven an E39 M5 you know is in top running shape? This motor has enough power to mask when it's not running 100%. I replaced MAFs, CPS and O2's. Made a world of difference. I thought the car was running fine when I first got it though. MAF's & CPS made the biggest improvements. Have plugs but haven't put em in yet.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Beautiful example, i just picked up my 2001 Carbon Black in March with slightly lower mileage than yours. It amazes me people can buy these and NOT drive them!

I too feel like mine is running strong, although as others have mentioned there is enough power to mask some 'minor' issues.

I would recommend doing the computer 'break in' and running the MAF test (#4, option 2) to see how strongly she is really running. Ideal readings are 135-140 L/H, my best pull so far was only 117 in 2nd gear and 109 in 3rd. After speaking to a board veteran, I just ordered a new thermostat and associated O-rings and will be doing some sensors (CPS, O2s) in the coming months.

I plan on keeping her for the long haul, so my hope is continual preventative maintenance will gradually improve performance while I get used to the driving dynamics.

Good luck with your beautiful Beast!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice so far. I didn't know the rear deck was actually faded. As much as I say it was a garage queen, it might actually have been a driveway queen. Especially because of the bad rubber trim around the windows and the faded rear deck. Like I said, this will be a work in progress.

Thanks for the links. I am going to check them out.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congrats! The picture shows the CB paint well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts