BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am a new proud owner of my first BMW M5 which is a 2002 model. I debated a lot before buying this car after my reliable car of 16 years, the MBZ 190E 2.3-16 had a blown engine after overheating for a while.

The BMW M5 puts me in a new era and I like it so far.

Just received the car yesterday, Aug 16th.

First problem I saw was that the DSC button on lower center console did not work. The light was off and no matter how many times I push that DSC button it stays off.

Then today while driving, a yellow light/symbol on the dashboard appeared. This alarmed me, since I did not know what that yellow light/symbol meant. After checking the owners manual, the light is a triangle with an exclamation point and a circle around the triangle. This light is for the DSC and when its on/yellow, it should be checked by BMW dealer.

What am I missing with loss of DSC ??
Do I lose ABS ??

I plan to have it checked out/corrected next week.

Thanks,
Gary
<!-- / message --><!-- controls -->

·
Registered
159 Posts
gramsay said:
Hello,

I am a new proud owner of my first BMW M5 which is a 2002 model. I debated a lot before buying this car after my reliable car of 16 years, the MBZ 190E 2.3-16 had a blown engine after overheating for a while.

First problem I saw was that the DSC button on lower center console did not work. The light was off and no matter how many times I push that DSC button it stays off.

Then today while driving, a yellow light/symbol on the dashboard appeared. This alarmed me, since I did not know what that yellow light/symbol meant. After checking the owners manual, the light is a triangle with an exclamation point and a circle around the triangle. This light is for the DSC and when its on/yellow, it should be checked by BMW dealer.

Do I lose ABS ??

Thanks,
Gary
Gary,
Congrats on your new purchase. The only thing you'll be missing is the traction control. Most of us on the board drive our cars with it off. But definetly take it to the dealer and have it fixed.
Boz

·
Registered
200 Posts
When you are pussing hard don't you feel the DSC working in a corner??
Or when in first gear!!!! normaly on the dash is the dsc light when it (flash)lit up for a few sec DCS is working

But if it burns the whole time dsc is off or you have a error

·
Registered
184 Posts
gramsay said:
Depends on who you ask. Some people would say nothing and always drive with it off, while others say it's a critical safety net and that it's dangerous to drive without it on.

Personally, I agree with both sides - I find that it cuts in way too early and abruptly, but at the same time it has bailed me out on more than one occasion, particularly when the roads have been wet. For daily commuting, I leave it on. When I'm having fun, I turn it off if I know the road well, and I leave it on if I don't.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Look like your DSC might be failing, mine went a month back and cost me over €1200 to get fixed. Get it checked out immedately as it being your first few days with the M5 it would be advisable to keep it on until you get used to it.

As with driving with the DSC , it might be ok for those big American roads and better weather... in Ireland our motorways have only 3 lanes usually and all other roads are tight, DSC has saved me many a times. It is essential to keep it on in the rain for safty.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
gramsay said:
Hello,

Do I lose ABS ??

Thanks,
Gary
Thanks all for the feedback which has been helpful along with other topics in other threads.

I was able to download a PDF version of the 2002 Manual and reviewed the DSC.

From the manual my understanding is that DSC is activated when you start the car. The symbol in the center of the dash turns on when the car is started then it goes off.

I was in error when I said i pushed the DSC button several times and nothing happens. After closer inspection there is no status light on the DSC button like the other buttons nearby. So no matter how many times I pushed the DSC button I wont see a light, since there isnt any ..........

Talk about DUH !!!

Thats what I get for playing with the car at night when I should be in bed.

Well when you do press the DSC button the symbol in the center dash will turn off/on. Maybe I didnt notice this when I was pushing the DSC button or the symbol does not work when the car is parked.

The next day while driving I pushed the DSC button and the symbol turned on (indicates DSC is off). So I guess it does work. I pushed DSC button again and the symbol turned off (indicates DSC is on). I did this a few more times and the symbol went off/on accordingly. So I guess it does work.

However I cant explain why when I was driving the second day I had it which prompted this whole DSC topic that the symbol turned on and stayed on for quite a while.Thats what caught my attention and led me to believe something may be wrong. The symbol eventually turned off by itself.

In the upcoming days I will keep aware of that symbol.

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, Ok, now I know for sure the DSC works.

Driving today after Hurricane Katrina hit southeast Florida.
It was raining slightly and I was at the stop light.

On green I kinda launched the M5 and the tires spun a bit before gaining traction as the car moved forward and sideways a bit. The yellow symbol with the triangle/exclamation point and circle in the middle of the dashboard blinked for about 3 seconds and then went off.

The car straightened itself and pulled away smoothly.

Confirms DSC does work.

Thanks,
GR

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
You are describing the correct behaviour for 2002 and earlier models. 2003 models may be different. DSC is on by default. The dash light is off. Anytime it activates (DSC or traction control), the light blinks. That is easy to do anytime accelerating in a turn. It will do its darndest to keep the car going straight (or whatever direction the wheel is turned). It does this by activating one or more brakes and/or cutting power. Most feel it cuts power too agressively but you can learn the amount of throttle it takes before activating.
Pressing the button once turns DSC & TC off. The light illuminates solidly. Tires will spin at will and the back end becomes easy to slide out (especially in the wet). Pressing the button again re-activates DSC. The sensors are the same as the ABS wheel speed sensors. You may have experienced a brief glitch in one that first time the light came on and went off by itself.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
In the first two days of driving my 5, I thought BMW made:

Poorly responsive, strange accelerating, oddly connected, jumpy, stuttering, squirrly, slipping transmisions, etc, etc,etc.

Then I turned the the DSC OFF.

And the whole car snapped sharply into focus.

The Zone I drive in and above... is right where the DSC kicks in.

Bloody nanny. Fine for rain, and I'll leave it on in the rain, but... otherwise, no deal, ever.

Oh yes. Great when letting someome ELSE drive your car for a short bit.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Ah! October in Canada would make for great M5 performance and lower traction on the roads. The two combined would cause DSC to activate a lot more than in hot summer months. Just be careful without DSC when a chance of precip could mean ice on the roads.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Last winter, I was driving a Lowered (eibach) modded Ford Probe, with Kumho Exta 712's, 235/45R17's all around.

People are out there, getting stuck in the ice and snow and me..I'm running summer racers! Shaking my head at people for their inability to drive, etc. :p :p

I never saw the need to swap tires..it was about the same as winter tires on a mid 70's car, up north. No big deal. Just be careful. Use your head. It was also too cold to get out there and swap the tires!

PS: With the DSC off,I can still feel the 'throttle nanny' that keeps me from blowing U-joints, etc. That weird slight delay to ensure a light touch on the sensitive components. That's supposed to be MY job, not the car's, dammit! I don't really mind but the delays and oddness of it, well, it's downright distracting. MAF's getting ready to toss me the odd code, maybe? 90k km, and It's never seen service II,as far as I can tell. This car's been babied. I'll fix that soon enough.... Never broke a car yet, just drive hard/well.

I mean, all this stuff is fine and dandy...it allows folks who really can't drive worth a farging sheet get into this car and get somwhere, but what about those of us who CAN?

Hmm..I'm thinking now..is there a sensor or switch that knows that your foot might gently be at or slightly on the clutch pedal? That might explain it. I'll have to go out and give it a shot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts