BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since I don't drive the M5 too often (mainly because I worry for the car too much when I park it) I usually keep it garaged, but not today. I did my errands in New Rochelle, did what I had to do in the Bronx, and then went to the gym in Yonkers. Ah what a thrill, but the fun didn't end there.

On the way coming home from the gym I took Central Park Avenue (for those who live in NY you know how great that long strip is when there aren't many cars on the road). As I'm driving I spotted a black e46 M3 on my left hand side. I was on the third lane to the right so I cut between a few cars to get in front of him and was hoping he'd want to tango. My wishes came true and off we went with me leading the way :M5launch: :M5launch: . To my surprise he was keeping up behind me very well. After our 5 second thrill I figured enough was enough, because we both know what we got in our hands, so I signaled him over to the side of the road so we can chat. As we both got out of our cars in unison, the first thing to come out of his mouth was "WOW, your car sounds amazing...I know that exhaust system isn't stock!"

I was pretty psyched about this not only because it was the first compliment about my exhaust from another enthusiast but also because while I knew the car sounded great, I really wasn't sure how good or bad it sounded in high speeds unless someone was right behind me to test it with me. His testimony made me even more confident and proud that I made the right choice with my car. With only about 60-70 miles put on the car, since my exhaust installation, the system is just beginning to break in and should sound better with time.

For those wondering what I did, I did what an ex-board member suggested and installed the Dynomax super turbo mufflers and removed the resonators from my car. I saved a pretty penny and I am very happy with the results. Anyway, that's my story. I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the experience. :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Congrats on your exhaust. I always wondered why no one installed one of these less expensive exhaust on their beast. Did they have to do any custom work to make it fit or was it a straight bolt on? Got any pictures of your car. I'd like to see how the exhaust looks like on your car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
^^I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow. I wish I would have thought of taking photos while the car was up on the lift.

Nonetheless, mandrel tubing was required. And I also believe two hinges were put on opposite sides of the mufflers (which make for a total of four per muffler) and then the hinges were bolted on where the original mufflers were originally screwed.

The guys did a phenomenal job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
Petey Pop said:
^^I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow. I wish I would have thought of taking photos while the car was up on the lift.

Nonetheless, mandrel tubing was required. And I also believe two hinges were put on opposite sides of the mufflers (which make for a total of four per muffler) and then the hinges were bolted on where the original mufflers were originally screwed.

The guys did a phenomenal job.
Petey,

Do you experience much drone? I had Cobra (I know these are completely different motors but) with full exhaust and remembered how much drone I experienced around 2-2.5K rpm. I heard a sound clip (believe it was yours) of an M5 with the dynomax mufflers and it sounded mean! Not a high pitched wail but a deep muscle car sound that really complimented the car. Btw, were you able to keep the stock tips or did you have to get aftermarkets? I'm really curious on your setup since that's the sound I'm going for :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
Ok I just had to post.

Over on the west coast, if I raced an M3 on the street and signaled them to pull over, I'd better be carrying some heat or be ready to step up. At any rate I'd probably not be getting a compliment from the guy the moment he stepped out of the car. :eek: I thought NY drivers were pretty aggresive haha.

I'm glad to see that a lesser priced muffler can sound just as good on this car. There's just no reason the exact same kind of parts made for this car should automatically be three times as expensive. I love the look my friends give me when I tell them how much aftermarket parts are for this car.

Post some sound clips! Dying to hear what it sounds like. :M5launch:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crnjyM5 said:
Over on the west coast, if I raced an M3 on the street and signaled them to pull over, I'd better be carrying some heat or be ready to step up. At any rate I'd probably not be getting a compliment from the guy the moment he stepped out of the car. :eek: I thought NY drivers were pretty aggresive haha.
LOL. I am sure it would have been a whole different story if I asked a honda to pull over (which I never would). But come on, you got to expect that the driver riding a BMW has some sort of dignity, class, and respect wherever he/she is located on the map.

crnjyM5 said:
I'm glad to see that a lesser priced muffler can sound just as good on this car. There's just no reason the exact same kind of parts made for this car should automatically be three times as expensive.
I agree. I think we definately get ripped off. Then again, thats the expense we pay for owning an exotic.

crnjyM5 said:
Post some sound clips! Dying to hear what it sounds like. :M5launch:
Will do in a few minutes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay here are the pics. Image one is of the rear end of the car with the new exhausts, which are very similar to the OEM's. And Image two is a picture of the hinges connected to the muffler and bolted on to where the original mufflers were originally screwed.

Dmz, this should give you and idea of what type of work was done. Also, I was mistaken with my previous post. There are three hinges attached per muffler; not four.

And for those who want to hear a sound clip click here: http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=282BEB17T986202YVCR6I8RFSW

As I said earlier, the exhaust is still breaking in and should get sweeter with a couple more runs. Personally I love the way the car sounds. Its deep, mean, and doesn't make an annoying noise when I drive at high speeds.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BGKBCK said:
Petey,

Do you experience much drone? I had Cobra (I know these are completely different motors but) with full exhaust and remembered how much drone I experienced around 2-2.5K rpm. I heard a sound clip (believe it was yours) of an M5 with the dynomax mufflers and it sounded mean! Not a high pitched wail but a deep muscle car sound that really complimented the car. Btw, were you able to keep the stock tips or did you have to get aftermarkets? I'm really curious on your setup since that's the sound I'm going for :cheers:
BGKBCK, that car wasn't mine but I know the clip your talking about. It was that clip that motivated me to get this done. The first to do it, I believe, was marcvip.

Also to answer your question, I installed aftermarket tips. They can be found at www.summitracing.com. Part# MPE-35167. Good luck and let me know what you decide to do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased the mufflers at www.summitracing.com

The part # is 17784.

I would have also purchased the tips from them but they didn't have them in stock at the time. Nonetheless, I recommend this company very much. Great service, fast shipping (the order came within 3 days), and quality care (got coupons for my next purchase, a free cap, some stickers, and even deodorant!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,176 Posts
Petey Pop: Where did you have the exhaust installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
To me, the sound of the thing is of little consequence provided it's not too loud/annoying, but importantly do you have any dyno charts to verify the gains? What's the weight difference from stock? Do you notice any difference through the seat-of-the-pants dyno? Did you have any mapping done?

Cheers
Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
__Andy__ said:
To me, the sound of the thing is of little consequence provided it's not too loud/annoying, but importantly do you have any dyno charts to verify the gains? What's the weight difference from stock? Do you notice any difference through the seat-of-the-pants dyno? Did you have any mapping done?

Cheers
Andy
Mufflers alone with provide no performance gains. Even if you saw 1 or 2 HP gain on the dyno, it's not going to get you anything. Mufflers alone is about weight reduction and sound differences.

You need to replace headers to have any useable performance difference. More free flowing cats would help too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
HDClown said:
Mufflers alone is about weight reduction and sound differences.
So you spend money, get no performance gain, suffer increased exhaust noise just to save a bit of weight?

??????

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
__Andy__ said:
So you spend money, get no performance gain, suffer increased exhaust noise just to save a bit of weight?

??????

Andy
Suffering? When I hear a modified M5 exhaust I am like :hihi::happybirt:M5thumbs:

Its all about the aural experince!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
259 Posts
cornellm5........

I purchased the mufflers at www.summitracing.com

The part # is 17784.

I would have also purchased the tips from them but they didn't have them in stock at the time. Nonetheless, I recommend this company very much. Great service, fast shipping (the order came within 3 days), and quality care (got coupons for my next purchase, a free cap, some stickers, and even deodorant!).

Thanks Petey! You've been more than helpful...Now I have to find a reputable installer...You think Midas will do? :confused3 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
BGKBCK said:
cornellm5........

I purchased the mufflers at www.summitracing.com

The part # is 17784.

I would have also purchased the tips from them but they didn't have them in stock at the time. Nonetheless, I recommend this company very much. Great service, fast shipping (the order came within 3 days), and quality care (got coupons for my next purchase, a free cap, some stickers, and even deodorant!).

Thanks Petey! You've been more than helpful...Now I have to find a reputable installer...You think Midas will do? :confused3 :D
Where did you get tips from? Do you have the item # for the tips on summitracing.com you would have gotten if in stock?

Did the tips you get, ot did summit carry any tips that are staggered like OEM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I added another 30 miles (give or take a few) on my car since the last time I created this thread and since then the rattle has dimished quite a bit. I believe in due time it will be eliminated.

Approximately, does anyone know how long it should take for the cans to be officially broken in?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top