BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading a bit about the rod bearings issues, I decided to send a sample out to Blackstone.

My car is a 2008 BMW M5 6MT with 47k miles on the clock today.

I purcahsed my car with just over 39k miles, and the indy dealer told me that the oil was changed at purchase. Apparently they used some kind of Mobil 1 synthetic, but I noticed that Mobil 1 does not offer 10w60 in the USA. I'm thinking they probably used 10w40 or something around there. Anyhow, the sample was taken around 46,700 miles so there was roughly 7k miles on the oil from the first year of my ownership. In that time I had topped off with a couple quarts of 10w60 from BMW. The car is now running on 10w60 from the dealer.

I dont track my car, but I do drive it hard... I wouldnt say that I keep the car at the redline for prolonged periods, but it does get up there when going WOT. I also try to let all my cars warm up before driving off...

Here is my report, and I'm a bit concerned that my copper was at 9 and lead at 11. Thoughts on that? At what point are these numbers indicative of a problem?

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Looks good! Congrats!

Registered
Pull another sample once you reach 52k miles. post up results afterwards. you do live in a region that experiences cold winters. you might want to consider running 5w 50 Redline during the winter.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I dont really drive it in the winter... Last winter I put maybe 100 miles on it in the colder months just going to my works holiday party.

Is it really normal to have copper wear this early on in the motor at all? Wouldnt that mean some of the bearings are worn to that layer? Maybe the BMW tech took the sample from the begining of the oil stream?

I 'll shoot for 52k miles for the next test.

Registered
BMW pulled the sample? Do you know at what point he pulled it? Take it to an Indy and ask if you can pull the sample yourself. Pull it after the first 30 seconds of drain. Doc just posted his results. He has 8k more miles than you and all seems good. All engines wear differently. Rack up another 5k miles and pull a new sample is all I can recommend.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I actually talked to the tech when I was paying, but at that point I forgot to ask when he sampeled it. I did save the filter though and I looked hard and couldnt find any particles of metal. He said the oil was black but looked normal, and he also said my car was the cleanest nicest M5 that they have ever had in.

I just wish I knew why the copper was higher than usual... Grrr

Registered
I actually talked to the tech when I was paying, but at that point I forgot to ask when he sampeled it. I did save the filter though and I looked hard and couldnt find any particles of metal. He said the oil was black but looked normal, and he also said my car was the cleanest nicest M5 that they have ever had in.

I just wish I knew why the copper was higher than usual... Grrr
Blackstone is good after multiple samples have been analyzed then you can establish a trend of how metal is wearing inside your motor. This is your first sample so just relax and rack up some miles for the next sample. Don't fully rely on Blackstone reports to tell you when you need to replace your bearings or not. Best way is to just go straight to the source and look for yourself and at that point you might as well replace them.

Registered
Yes I would send in for another sample in the near future to establish a foundation for your oil. Since you didn't know your car's background on oil before, I'd be more inclined to see the next report to see what it reads. At this present time, your numbers read fine and I wouldn't sweat over it.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts