BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I stretched, glued and steamed mine into place

5 minute epoxy and clips...

Steam..

And done, use lots of conditioner for the first week or so too...

Enjoy....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
214 Posts
For anyone looking to get the same benefits for less $ and hassle, you can just grab a regular 6-speed ZHP knob for like $80 an then cut/glue/ziptie your original boot at the top of the shift lever. Sure you lose the illumination, but I bet most of you, like me, don't really need to reference the top of the thing to know where the gears are or what gear you're in!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I watched this video and all you had to do is to remove the old brace and use it on the F10 shifter, here is the video

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, just tried to install mine tonight and you definitely have to stretch the boot from the F10 shifter, I just ordered a boot for a 540i and will replace it with that. My thing is how do you install a new boot around the new shifter ?

·
Registered
214 Posts
My thing is how do you install a new boot around the new shifter ?
It's pretty straight forward, just flip the boot inside out and poke the shifter through the hole. Then glue/ziptie/whatever around the tip of the boot to clamp it to the top 'neck' of the shifter, then fold the boot back down (so that it flips right-side out again) and the fold will cover you clamp joint. Then the surround just clips into the center column and lastly you push the knob into place on top!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm jaded obviously as I used the 540 boot, but I think it looks much better (avoids the stretched look around the base of the leather), and is a lot less work.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts