Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago I had driven to Cali and had a few things done

One of which was DA software my car had Iats relocated as well as tthe AA intake and dinan cans.....

On my way home I noticed that the rpms at idle were not stable and almost stalling out. the SES light had come on..... when i got to my dealer back in LI they read codes and said it was probably bad gas

The Rough idle continued and the The car even stalled out at a light 2 times After the embarassment and a night of lost sleep I went back To my dealer and With NO charge they re installed the dinan software that I had owned and

All Problems That I had with the my CAR simply vanished WOW

I have since made about 25,000 miles since not ever expiriencing the same issues

grrrrrrrgrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrgrrrrrrrNow heres were it gets worse

I Drive my car 3000 miles back to Cali speak with Sean a week before I head to N cali while im still in OC

Sean said he will ask Shadownam to see my car and if he can he will call me back and let me know

I speak to him tell him Im In North cali now and will stay an extra night to accomodate shadowman Sean does not call me back and stands me up like a prom Date

To this day He refuses to re emburse me for my money for the software

I wanted to give DA another chance but im sure Cali court will allow me to to remedy this problem and justice will be served As well as the BBB

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also have gotten software from D/A that I'm unhappy with. They sent the DME back to me stock and I had to pay shipping back to them for them to do the initial job I paid for. Even after they "tuned" it they did not deliver what they promised, I am still very unhappy with this tune and the end result=not going to D/A again for anything.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Nothing against D/A, but I hope they remedy the situation for you.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Wow that sux and totally unheard of!

PedM5- did you have other (than oem) software prior to the D/A flash?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Wow that sux and totally unheard of!

PedM5- did you have other (than oem) software prior to the D/A flash?
nope, I was waiting for the "right" company because I was worried about just this thing happening. I read the week before that DA FLEW OUT TO FIX SOMEONES TUNE! and I thought wow what a great company and of course the person was talking about the power being restored and he wanted to sell his car but this changed his mind bla bla bla.

As soon as I turned on my car after getting it back from DA I noticed my idle was still stock and chattering from the flywheel was as usual mind numbing. I drove down the street and noticed hmm this feels the same, then I took it to redline, redline was stock (which it still is even after I sent it back to these guys, they claim they brought it up to 7300, which is not true, I still have to shift at 7k or I will bounce off the limiter even after they re-tuned; furthermore, I requested it to be at 7500 so I don't risk bouncing off the limiter if I shift at the recommended 7300. They refused to fix it because this is what they consider "safe") and I even tested my top speed governor, all was as it was before wasting the time and money.

Sent a few e-mails to them and I don't know if they didn't believe me or what the deal was but it took some convincing, then out of my own pocket I had to pay for shipping to them when they obviously are at fault. And though now my idle is raised and top speed governor is removed it feels like the exact same car, back to back runs with my friends prove as much and there are tuners out there like HPF and Extreme Motorsports who are claiming some real power with their tunes and they haven't built the 1000hp DA legends so my opinion of DA has become very unfavorable.

I need a re-tune now that I have headers and though DA is the most economical (half regular price to re-tune) obviously in this case you get what you pay for, which is the run around. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Sorry about your negative experience. My experience has been just the opposite, although my situation is quite different.

Real horsepower gains come from more air/fuel and greater breathing efficiency. It may be unreasonable to expect a noticably faster car from software mods on an otherwise stock engine. The throttle gain can be bumped up to make the car feel more responsive, but this won't get you down the road faster at WOT. I'm guesssing most of what you are paying for are the features (de-limiting, higher redline, upping idle, etc.) I think Dinan's claim is about 10 hp with software combined with their CAI. Not a lot of bang for the buck. The difference you would feel would be comparable to driving with a full tank of gas vs. an 1/8 of a tank of gas.

Headers are another story!

Dave

Reactions: EM5PWR

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry about your negative experience. My experience has been just the opposite, although my situation is quite different.

Real horsepower gains come from more air/fuel and greater breathing efficiency. It may be unreasonable to expect a noticably faster car from software mods on an otherwise stock engine. The throttle gain can be bumped up to make the car feel more responsive, but this won't get you down the road faster at WOT. I'm guesssing most of what you are paying for are the features (de-limiting, higher redline, upping idle, etc.) I think Dinan's claim is about 10 hp with software combined with their CAI. Not a lot of bang for the buck. The difference you would feel would be comparable to driving with a full tank of gas vs. an 1/8 of a tank of gas.

Headers are another story!

Dave
I hear what your saying BUT....

The problems are not about potential HP gains or performance

The Car did not run Well .
grrrrrrr Stalling out ,
grrrrrrridle jumping around
Didnt feel tuned going thrue the rpms

Pedm5 stated that they didnt even load new software ........

If I spent 60,000 or 600 dollars it shouldnt matter they dont care about it if it aint gonna chptr 7 them

And one more thing software isnt a tangable asset if someone was to return a faulty product after a trial period and was used not re sale able I understand but FAULTY SOFTWARE..... DA are theives For this perticular matter

BTW I have logged 158,000+ miles on my car My 2 cents should be recognized even by Top tuners and mechanics

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just thought of the funniest thing

New software Name - Mirage-man Software LOL LOL LOL

·
Registered
621 Posts
Stay away from Discovery Automotive

I gave Discovery Automotive over 100k build a 600 rear wheel horsepower unit for my E39 M5 and what I received was a poorly tuned 434 rwhp car that from the moment I took delivery, had major issues to include 3 vacuum leaks, a crank case leak, a clutch that squeaks and slips even under normal parking lot maneuvering - including reverse, and and likes to go into failsafe mode when approaching redline. Also, getting to redline usually takes some time, so the rpm's haven't been there much. There's a lot more to this ongoing nightmare that's too long to post here.

The support I got from that clown was absolutely non-existent. When I told him soon after taking delivery that the car was delivering very low power, along with the other issues, he suggested that he could put a power pulley in it - for more money of course. Regarding the crank case leak, he said he didn't make the gaskets. I was in disbelief! He then had the gall to tell me after I received the car that he built the car to 500 rwhp, as I was paying him for 600. I even reiterated my expectation of receiving around 600rwhp in an email that he responded to in the middle of the project. This guy is nothing more than a predator looking to draw dollars his way.

My stock E60 M5 will easily beat my poor E39M5 on the freeway. In fact, I couldn't pull away from a 1991 M5 with 360hp. I met that driver later and we recalled the event. At 434 rwhp I should have taken him but the car won't accelerate well when on the freeway.

This car has been stored most of the time since I received it since it offers no enjoyment whatsoever.

Everyone needs to stay away from this Tuner. The Emperor has no clothes when it comes to E39 M5 engine tuning.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Basil,

Dang:eek:oohhh: 100k? i hope D/A can chime in here...
I gave Discovery Automotive over 100k build a 600 rear wheel horsepower unit for my E39 M5 and what I received was a poorly tuned 434 rwhp car that from the moment I took delivery, had major issues to include 3 vacuum leaks, a crank case leak, a clutch that squeaks and slips even under normal parking lot maneuvering - including reverse, and and likes to go into failsafe mode when approaching redline. Also, getting to redline usually takes some time, so the rpm's haven't been there much. There's a lot more to this ongoing nightmare that's too long to post here.

The support I got from that clown was absolutely non-existent. When I told him soon after taking delivery that the car was delivering very low power, along with the other issues, he suggested that he could put a power pulley in it - for more money of course. Regarding the crank case leak, he said he didn't make the gaskets. I was in disbelief! He then had the gall to tell me after I received the car that he built the car to 500 rwhp, as I was paying him for 600. I even reiterated my expectation of receiving around 600rwhp in an email that he responded to in the middle of the project. This guy is nothing more than a predator looking to draw dollars his way.

My stock E60 M5 will easily beat my poor E39M5 on the freeway. In fact, I couldn't pull away from a 1991 M5 with 360hp. I met that driver later and we recalled the event. At 434 rwhp I should have taken him but the car won't accelerate well when on the freeway.

This car has been stored most of the time since I received it since it offers no enjoyment whatsoever.

Everyone needs to stay away from this Tuner. The Emperor has no clothes when it comes to E39 M5 engine tuning.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It was 70k for 600 rwhp per his initial email (69k I think) and and while I did have other things done beyond the engine tuning, I did spend around 115 or more overall. Additionally, I supplied the rods and exhaust and the wheels. The brakes that were supplied by Discovery were by far the most costly extra at 13k and then an upgraded steering wheel and installation of my Bluetooth kit.

It's hard to say exactly what the money was used for specifically. I never got an invoice showing all of the parts that were used and the cost associated for each one and the labor, though I had asked for that up front, to which he agreed of course.

All I have are canceled checks and a CD with the same photos found on the web page. In fact the only list of materials is on that webpage.

Btw, the pistons were different than the ones used by the twins ( I later learned). However, on the Discovery web page showing a piston about to be used in my project I noticed that it's the same picture that was used on the the web page for one of the "twins" ( I think the Lemans Blue one).

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
:dunno:
Thats weird....
I have never once had any problems with Sean or Shadowman... Nor have i had any problems with my hardware. An occasional leak or something.. but to me that comes with the high performance territory. My clutch has been good ever since I received my car... granted, I don't power shift it nor do I launch the car either.

I do know that my engine costs more than what you paid. I think about 15-20k more than what you paid. It looks like in the photo's you have the same pistons as me(the blue twin). I believe that to be a good thing. CP pistons. SICK pistons!! :haha:

Looking at the photos of your build... you have the same engine as me. All you need is the secondary injector set up(i assume you would need the piggy back computer with that)... and your running 700hp at the wheels. If your running 6 or so lbs of boost..and putting out 434rwhp.... your car will last forever... Why don't you twist it up a bit.:cool: Im sure you could slap on a 8lb pulley or maybe even 10. Or get the secondary system and peel out at 80mph. :M5launch:

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, I paid over what he said it would cost me to get to 600rwhp so I expected to be in that region - not well below that. I should have had the secondary injector system installed already if that is what it would take to get to 600.

Btw, I may have been wrong about the same photo being used. They're different but similar. Anyway, he used 9.0 pistons I was told vs. the 9.5 that is in your car. My car's a dog.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Hey Basil,

Sorry to hear things were not resolved. Weren't you going to bring the car back to D/A for a look-see? What happened with that?

Keep in mind you've got some amazing hardware, including the titanium rods. It is a foundation for a sick set up. Sounds like you just need to get things dialed in. For one-off projects like these, there's no assembly manual that guarantees a certain outcome. I agree with Josh, get enough fuel in the engine and crank up the boost and the car will wail. You certainly have the engine strength for it. D/A has proven that they know how to tune these cars for amazing output.

It is important to consider your relationship with Bill (or any tuner for that matter) as a partnership. That's the best way to ensure that the car reaches its great potential.

Dave

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Basil,sorry to hear about your misfortune.Damn,I did not know D/A S/C for M5 were that much:eek:oohhh:.Makes HorsepowerFreaks turbo kit alittle more attractive,as I have never heard anything bad about them ever.Hopefully D/A can chime in and rectify this.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't understand. If Discovery is able to do it - and I that is why I brought my car to him, then why didn't he do as he said and build my car as we agreed - to the 600rwhp mark. I certainly paid for what we agreed to, and a lot more.

He then even had the gall to tell me that he built the engine to 500, not 600 as agreed to not once, but twice. What does it take?

I don't understand the confusion here. It's plain and simple. The guy ripped me off. And how can I then go back to him and try to maintain a partnership after being taken like that. He wouldn't even help me out when I was trying to sort it out about 5 months ago.

I may post all of the events leading to this on another thread if i can't clarify my point here. A significant breach of agreement from non-performance has occurred. That is what I'm trying to convey in this thread.

·
Registered
770 Posts
There are always two sides to a story and in the case of Mfizz there is much left out of the story.

First let me start off by addressing a few points that need to be cleared up.

When we were initially contacted he asked if when he was in the area if he could stop by the shop to which I shared that the facility is not setup for walk-in’s. I told him that I would chat with Shadowman and if it could be done that I would let him know

He called again the night that he arrived in town and once again shared that company policy has always been no walk-ons. Nevertheless he persisted to which I replied by saying that I said I would ask Shadowman again but doubted with the schedule over the next few days that it was possible. I specifically told him that I would call him if the situation changed.. which it did not.

Add to this I have spoken to his technicians on both coasts numerous times about his car to which both had stated here was a laundry list of issues with the car having nothing to do with the software and with close to 200k miles on the vehicle this was understandable.

When we last spoke a few weeks ago he wanted his current software from another vendor removed and replaced with ours. I shared with him repeatedly it was something he needed to discuss with his technician. I immediately got off the phone with him and called his shop to discuss the situation who stated they would speak to their client so everyone was on the same page.

I spoke to his shop where he has his car serviced again this morning to follow up and to confirm the chain of events as I am described them.

Theres nothing in the way that this situation was handled that speaks to poor customer service on our part. I addition there was never any mention or request for a refund made by this customer or the service facility that tends to his car. I confirmed all of this with his technician this morning who I might add said he would be happy to make a post in this thread. I thanked him for his support and shared I felt it would serve nothing other then to blow the situation out of proportion.

In closing; was it necessary to make this reply, maybe not however we do try very hard and contrary to the opinion shared by few we truly care as such felt it important.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Well were to start

First Sean I had spoken to you prior to me leaving NY... Then in the 2 weeks i was in socal i had spoken to you about having your company inspect my car due to the problems I was incuring while having your software in my car

Now for people reading this thread

I own Dinan software since 2003 about 25,000 miles on the odomiter

I had the Da Software installed around 125,000 miles

I have a New motor since 70,000 miles yup CPO in late 2004 all the updates it came as a complete replacement heads New vanos 4 Bolt block Water pump everything except the velocity stacks and plenum

On my drive i noticed that at idle the car rpm needle was jumping around and from time to time dip down below the idle spot

The last straw was when the car stalled out at a light 2 times in a week

I took the car to the Dealer and told them the issues I was having ...

I was due for an inspection and the dealer said there was a software recall and you need an update for NY state emissions .... any aftermarket software will be deleted

well I own Dinan software and instead leaving with my new inspection sticker and No software I had the Dinan softeware re loaded FOR FREE

As I left the dealer and to the present day I have never experienced any of these problems EVER AGAIN hmmm I wonder

In conclusion

I asked sean for a refund or credit and he jumped down my throat like I was trying to return used condoms for store credit.

Off topic I raced a local with a Ford GT 30 mph to about 80 and we were neck and neck at the next light he said... thats mint car what year

I said
175,000 miles its a 2000 8 years old

he said- his car is fairly new 2006 and it sucks especially after that run.

Reactions: Jasoncrx

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Not to go off topic.........but......
Neck and neck with a Ford GT from 30-80??

That local must not know where the gas pedle is...ouich

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.