BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As there will soon be 40 or so of our cars running headers and tunes in a couple of months, I figure that my experiences over the last year with tunes from Jailbreak and Evolve may provide some insight. Tunes were run as follows during the stated time frames:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</o:p>
Jailbreak tune with MAFs (May 2013-February 2014)<o:p></o:p>
Jailbreak tune with Evolve CAIs/no MAFS (March 2014)<o:p></o:p>
Evolve tune with Evolve CAIs/no MAFs (now)
<o:p></o:p>
My initial thoughts on the Jailbreak tune with MAFs (from May 2013 board post):<o:p></o:p>
Got my muffler delete back in March and was very impressed with the exhaust note compared to stock. Flash forward to today and I cannot remember what the stock exhaust sounds like and sort of take the glorious muffler delete note for granted. So, before the line between the stock tune and the JB tune is blurred, I will post up my impressions.

Loaded up the JB tune on Friday and drove with it for the first time yesterday. During the first outing, my initial impression was that acceleration in the first three gears was a bit quicker than stock. But, as I continued to drive, it seemed as if the car also ran smoother. So, then, I began to wonder if I was confusing smoothness with quicker acceleration. On the second outing, it was more of the same. But, as I was cruising in third gear, I decided to stab the throttle to see how the car would respond. It leapt forward. Very nice. Did the same thing in 5<SUP>th</SUP> gear. Stabbed the throttle and acceleration was instantaneous (not quite as quick as in 3<SUP>rd</SUP>, but definitely quicker than when the car was stock). This morning, I went through the first four gears on a little jaunt from a stoplight and the car seems to pull much harder in all gears. The engine seems more alive and responsive now. When I hit the “go” pedal, the car actually goes. And quickly.

Really curious to see how this tune stacks up against stock. I have had wheel slip in third and fourth gear on dry pavement. Car is bone stock except for the delete. Also, I am running with MAFs. Two weeks ago, I was contemplating new MAFs (pixelated readout and it seemed like my numbers were low when I ran the test, so I bought some from a board member as replacements after I talked to Bobby about running the JB MAF-less and he told me that running with MAFs had been yielding positive feedback from others with the tune). But, I ran my MAF test a few more times and, again, on Friday night before loading the tune and hit 141 at one point (36K on the MAFs, but they are the original ones, i.e., 12 years old). Very impressed with the tune so far. Sport button memory is nice, too. Toss up between which represents the better bang for the buck—JB tune or muffler delete. Actually, slight nod to the tune…”
Flash forward to last month and I am running the Jailbreak tune with Evolve CAI/no MAFS. However, I only ran that setup for about a month. The tune was not calibrated for the CAIs during this time, so the driving characteristics and impressions are irrelevant.
Now, I am running the Evolve tune with Evolve CAI/no MAFs. I loaded the Evolve tune last Friday and have driven the car for the last 4 days.
Day one (about 20 miles of driving): Car shifted and accelerated a little smoother and throttle input was a little more immediate. This is not to say that the Jailbreak tune is inherently jerkier. It is not. I have been in board member gbmmpower’s car several times (Jailbreak tune) and he shifts that thing like butter. My shifting skill is not at his level, but I am able to shift a little smoother in my car with the Evolve tune than I did with the Jailbreak. Throttle input is a little more immediate, too. As the oil and coolant was getting up to temp during the first ride, I was naturally short-shifting to keep the RPMs low. And it was obvious that the Evolve tune did not require as much throttle input to increase the RPMs. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Regarding power and how hard the car pulled, I did not have the opportunity to give it the beans. But, during the limited opportunities that I did so, the Evolve tune seemed about the same as the Jailbreak (or maybe ever so slightly lower on power).
Day two (about 20 miles of driving): Had the chance to run the car a bit more spiritedly. Power seemed to be noticeably up over day one. Down low grunt was more pronounced as well as power in the upper bands.
Day three (about 25 miles of driving): More chances to wind the car out a bit more, including a stoplight jaunt. Pulls like a freight train throughout the entire power band. There appear to be no dead spots in the power band. Naturally, the torque starts to gradually drop off as the RPMs climb, but the car seems more powerful throughout.
This morning (10 miles of driving): Same as yesterday. Car feels really nice. Nice and easy power throughout and low-end grunt is impressive.
Now, keep in mind, that the comparison over the last few days is not an apples-to-apples comparison with my previous Jailbreak tune because my Evolve tune accounts for the CAIs whereas the Jailbreak tune did not. I never loaded the retune from Jailbreak to account for the CAIs as I had decided to switch to Evolve (explained below). It is possible that Jailbreak’s retune would have felt equally good. No way to know.
Customer service comparison<o:p></o:p>
I have received top notch customer service from both companies. Jailbreak guys answered all of my questions via email and telephone in a timely manner before I bought their tune and while I ran it. After my dyno runs last month, Jailbreak sent me a retune very quickly and I even picked their brains on headers when the SS group buy came about (and it was obvious that an Evolve header group buy would also be forthcoming). No complaints about how these guys run their operations. Similarly, I have been dealing with Evolve since late last year when I first reached out to them about their CAIs. These guys are also top notch. Communication, pricing and support have been awesome.
Headers<o:p></o:p>
As I will go with their headers (and header tune) in the near future, rather than load the Jailbreak retune, I made the switch to Evolve’s tune sooner. Had I gone with the SS headers, it would have been a toss-up between Evolve, Jailbreak and Tuning Tech Frank Smith (TTFS) for my tune. I met Frank last month and would have been totally confident with him tuning my car. He is doing some nice work on Tim’s car and is very knowledgeable. As his shop is less than two hours away from me, an individualized dyno-tune would have been great. So, it is likely that I would have gone with TTFS. Having said that, were I in Cali, I would have gone with Jailbreak for the same reasons. But, as I have decided to go with Evolve headers, my preference is to use Evolve for tuning. So, for you SS header guys for which remote tuning is your only option, you’ll just have to research and decide (hopefully, this post aids said research). Lots of info on this board regarding Evolve, Jailbreak and, to a lesser degree, TTFS. I have my personal reasons for making my mod decisions, but I am me and you are you. :cheers:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Nice write up my man. It was nice seeing you last month!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts