BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

My E60 M5 vs E92 M3 Review

12K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bodaddy 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you know from my posts I have an '08 M5. Before that I had two E46 M3's. Just test drove a new M3 back to back with my M5. Here are my impressions:

1. Steering feel and steering response in the new M3 are surprisingly good (great I should say). I say surprisingly because all the magazine reviews were dissapointed in the steering calling it somewhat numb and without feel. My experience is that the steering in the M3 is fantastic, maybe transmitting slightly less feel to the driver than the M5.

2. The M3 is definitely more tossable and nimble than the M5. Although the M3's advantage in this area is noticeable, the M5 is close.(I continue to be amazed by how nimble the M5 is, especially for a big car).

3. The M5 is definitely faster as the RPM's increase. Again, noticeable but the M3 is quite close.

4. The V-8 in the M3 sounds great! However, nothing sounds as great as the V-10 in the M5!!! Think of the M3's V-8 sounding like Beethoven's 5th Symphony, and the M5's V-10 sounding like the "Ode to Joy" in Beethoven's 9th Symphony.

5. Two options that I would miss in the M3 would be not having a HUD, as well as not having the active seats (the active seats in the M5 are really a cool option when cornering hard).

6. I don't like the bulge on the hood in the M3. I do like the vents in the hood however.

7. I definitely prefer my SMG to the regular 6 speed, though I can't wait to test the new dual clutch transmission in the M3 when it is available in afew months.

8. The servotronic steering in the M3 takes some getting used to. At intermediate speeds in tight turns (like on and off ramps) the steering ratio seems to change a bit too much. I almost hit the curb (I recall a recent magazine review saying the same thing).

In summary the new M3 is a FANTASTIC car, even better than what I had expected based on the early magazine reviews. Would I trade my M5 for one? The answer to that is no (but maybe a CSL version of the M3 would change my mind:)

I am curious to know how others think these two cars compare. All comments welcome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont know why but i am absolutely in love with the new m3! I almost thought about trading my m5 for the m3 until i drove it. I think if you have never owned a m5/m6 a m3 is one hell of a car. However if you are going from m5/m6 to m3 you begin to realize that the m3 is great at what it does but it is no m5/m6. Immediatley you realize how much narrower the car is and the fact that it is not as fast as the m5 especially in the higher rpm's. I think what has me liking the car so much is the looks, i think it's a gorgeous car. And the handling cannot be ignored either. All in all after much thought i would never trade my m5 for it, I may however consider adding it to the garage one day when the prices on the used car market comes down:cool2:.

#3 ·
I definitely agree. I think a white M3 coupe would look nice next to its big brother.

#4 · (Edited)
I will share some thoughts on the new M3...

Can't believe I did this...

I said I wouldn't...

I don't know why I tempted myself...

OK, so Thursday I'm at the dealer picking up my wife's surprise 135i. They have an M3 sedan and an M3 coupe as demos. So, as they are printing out the paperwork, I tell my sales guy I want to take the M3 Coupe for a spin. Hated the color. I'm not a big Red Exterior/Tan Interior guy, not even on a Ferrari. I know that's the classic blah blah blah, just not me. Anyway, we go for a test drive and I'm thinking "Doesn't even compare to my M6," "Not even close." But then, as I think those thoughts, I realize "Bam!" "That's the whole point!" It's not supposed to compare! The V8 growl! Even with stock exhaust is pretty impressive. The 6MT! I hadn't driven a 6MT, except for my extremely brief affair with a GT3 in December, in a very long time (since E39 M5) until I drove my wife's 135 home to her. It was a blast! I love the seats in the M3! The bulge and vents in the hood!
WOW! This steering is so TIGHT! This feels like a SPORTS CAR!

So...

Fast forward to end of test drive. I'm like OK, all they have is a red coupe with TAN interior (I'm out!) and an either SS or Grey Sedan with RED interior (Nah, red interior too flashy for me). So, I'm safe!

Until...

My salesman takes me to the delivery room.

I see...

Jerez Black (Never seen the color before)/Black WITH SUNROOF (I already have ONE CF roof, why would I need another?) So, I'm thinking wow, cool car, lucky guy. I'm also thinking "What color is that?" "Carbon Black?" "I LOVE Carbon Black!" So, I ask, "What color is that?"

Salesman- "Oh, that's Jerez Black, very similar to your old M5." "Yeah, the guy is my customer and said his CPA told him not to get the car."

Me - Heartrate increasing... "So, are you saying it's available?"

Salesman - "Let me check with Leif (New Car GM) to see if I could sell it to you if you wanted it." (Takeaway ploy - Played brilliantly - Although completely unnecessary at this point)

Calls Leif

Salesman - "Leif said you could have it, but he needs a decision right now. The car has been on the ground 8 days on hold for this guy and he's ready to just open it up."

Me - "Well, if you MUST have an answer RIGHT THIS SECOND, then I pass. But, if you can give me couple of hours, not DAYS, hours, then I will certainly let you know."

We go talk to Leif

Leif "OK, not a problem."

Fast forward 20 mins. on the way to deliver my wife's 135 to her.

Me - Dialing the phone - "Unnamed Salesman, Is this quick enough for you? I'll take the car."

Salesman - "Ok, we'll have it tinted and ready to go in the morning."

Conclusion - 3rd delivered E92 M3 Coupe owner in DFW. (Supposedly) Not that I care.

Just thought I would share the story. Had to head to the airport after that, but I will get some pics on Sunday or Monday and post em up.

WARNING - DO NOT GO DRIVE ONE! YOU WILL END UP BUYING! IT'S A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CAR!

Edit:******

As I shared with Cosmos earlier, the M3 does not have the same "HOLY CRAP!" above 6K RPM. But I think the reason for this is that pound for pound, the M3 is better below 6K RPM than the M5/M6. I haven't taken mine above 5.5K with only 70 miles on the clock, but in the demo it felt more linear throughout the rev range than M5/M6. I will have to get it on a dyno after breakin to verify the butt dyno feel.

#6 ·
LOL!!! That is how I ended up with my 08 E60, drove a buddy to PU his new 335i (because is GF had to work late), drove up in my E39, before his delivery was done on his 335i, I had put a deposit down on the E60 sitting brand new in the showroom.

#8 · (Edited)
Dyno Graph of e90 M3. The TQ curve is almost FLAT from the begining. I dont get why if BMW could do this for an engine that is 1 liter smaller and has 2 less cylinders, why they could not do this for the V10. It also goes to show that BMW must have left about 50hp on the table for the S85 if the S65 is getting 414hp.

#9 ·
The new M3 is a great car. Give it tome to push it, after three-four fuletanks I loved it:

I can begin with a 24 h report with the BMW M3 E92, a Stockholm to Oslo Roadtrip and a Supercar Shootout in Airfield with the BMW M3 E92 vs Porsche 997 Carrera S, Audi RS4 and more. All with a Alpina white manual BMW M3 E92.

Some of my YouTube BMW M3 E92 clips below:

<table class="tborder" style="margin: 10px 0pt;" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align: center;"> + YouTube Video </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/iuZRHpWM-bY" height="355" width="425">

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed. </object> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<table class="tborder" style="margin: 10px 0pt;" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align: center;"> + YouTube Video </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/sqtf2XES41A" height="355" width="425">

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed. </object> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

<table class="tborder" style="margin: 10px 0pt;" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="400"> <thead> <tr> <td class="tcat" colspan="2" style="text-align: center;"> + YouTube Video </td> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr> <td class="panelsurround" align="center"> <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://www.youtube.com/v/axb19DwhqUk" height="355" width="425">

From "24 hours with the BMW M3 E92".

#11 ·
Gustav, any chance of M3 vs Carrera S?

#13 ·
Cosmos,

I've got your "GFY" button right here, buddy! LOL

dave,

In addition to the M6. M6 now becomes weekend car. Are you kidding me? She would kill me if I tried to take away her 135!

M3G,

Paid MSRP - $1000.

$66.3K MSRP $65.3K +TTL Out the door.

#15 ·
Anthony, looks great. Did you load it up? Full black interior? Get a light/medium tint and orange side markers paint matched ASAP and you've got your M3 just the way I'd have it.
:cheers:

#16 ·
Anthony, looks great. Did you load it up? Full black interior? Get a light/medium tint and orange side markers paint matched ASAP and you've got your M3 just the way I'd have it.
:cheers:
Thanks! I got it all loaded up. :) The CF leather interior is simply beautiful! I wont be painting the orange markers but instead flushing them out completely. Other mods that have been ordered are 360 Forged 20's, CSL Vorsteiner boot lid, and CF mirror covers. After the wheels go on I will decide if it needs a drop. Obviously it will have an Eisenmann Race exhaust as well. Feels like Christmas in March!!! :2:

#17 ·
thats how they get you. Congrats on the car, cant wait to see pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.