BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Went down tonight for a look. The crank sensor came out before the gear box so there's no issue with that, it registers engine speed on cracking.

The flywheel part number matches up on Euro car parts to for the S62B50 so that looks OK.

DIS diagnosis just mentions engine codes 120001 and 120002 no engine start possible and general engine malfunction. It was mentioned it could potentially be the immobiliser. If this was preventing start would it even attempt to start? It tries to fire but sounds very rough.

The one enlarged hole on the flywheel was located at the dowel, so this looked as though there's only one way to install. There are no codes in INPA for any sensors. Any more insight?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
At long last I'll be picking the car up on Friday after there was a problem getting it started after a clutch/flywheel change.

The flywheel was bolted back on the wrong hole so engine timing was off. Anyone doing this job beware to bolt back up using the two half moon castings around the inner lip of the flywheel! Gearbox back in tomorrow and straight to paint on Friday morning

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The flywheel should not be able to be installed incorrectly as it has a location dowel on the rear of it which will only fit into one of the holes on the crank as its ever so slightly larger. The reality of course is that it can be, it just crushes the dowel, so if this is the case be prepared to solve the issue of a mangled dowel too.
:|.

Thought you said they knew about the dowel?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
:|.

Thought you said they knew about the dowel?
They did but apparently there were two holes this dowel could fit in and they bolted back up incorrectly. I was under the impression there was only one hole this aluminium dowel would fit in, so am equally puzzled

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dropped the car off at paint this morning, so will probably be a couple of weeks or so until I get the car back. Will update with plenty of after pics! I am certainly looking forward to getting it back being off the road for over 2 months

·
Registered
524 Posts
Where's it going for paint Jon?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
It's gone to Auto Renew in Speke Mike, should be back in a couple of weeks so will arrange a meet up to have a look

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
At long last I picked up my M5 from the painters. It's fantastic and I've missed it! I'll post pics of the work as soon as I can clean it up properly

41 - 49 of 49 Posts