BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello board members and greetings from Bulgaria!

I would like to share my experience with you for building custom made Brembo BBK with two-component brake discs, custom made aluminium hats for the discs, armed brake lines and custom made adapters for Brembo calipers. Firstly I should found what Brembo calipers I could use for my project. The calipers had to use pads with the exact pad depth just like the rotors which I would use. Rotors were Reyland, english production with parameters:

Fronts - 362mm x 32 mm, pad depth 62 mm, J-hook type
Rears - 343mm x 28 mm, pad depth 52 mm, J-hook type

So the only ones calipers which I found that could be fitted with these rotors were:

Fronts - 6 pot fronts from Mercedes CLK63 AMG. I bought them brand new from ECS Tuning.
Rears - 4 pot rears from Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. I bought them second hand from ebay but these were in pristine condition.

So far so good. About the fronts AMG logo had to be deleted and I just repaint the front side of the caliper and made Brembo logo. Rears were repainted entirely.

I bought EBC Yellow pads.

Most difficult of all the work was making of the hats. To save functional hand brake and prevent hand brake pads to be digged in the soft aluminium we warming up the aluminium to high temperature and then put stainless steel ring. When aluminium was cold aluminium ring was very strong caught to the hat. Hats are anodized to prevent oxidation.

For gripping the discs and hats we used AP Racing bolts

Adapters are 3D moddeled and then made with CNC machine. After that these are powder painted.

Brake lines are HEL Performance:

And finally everything is mounted:

The plan was to fit brakes under 18'' wheels so with Style 65 everything is very close. With M-Parallels there is far more space. With these I think could be fitted even 370 mm rotors.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Very nice. Does this setup require 19" wheels? Any concerns with heat transfer from the rotors to the hats with them being rigidly mounted? I guess I am used to normally seeing a floating type connection.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks. Total cost with included work, parts and shipping is around $4500. Around $500 only for shipping.

Very nice. Does this setup require 19" wheels? Any concerns with heat transfer from the rotors to the hats with them being rigidly mounted? I guess I am used to normally seeing a floating type connection.
No, it doesn't require 19'' I think as Style 65 fits, every 18'' wheel will fit.

We considered the following option:

Unfortunately AP Racing or Reyland doesn't offer rotors S/Boobin type with necessary parameters for us. So we used only AP Racing bolts, so that discs could be floating far thermal expansion of the material of bolts allows.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Seeing those brakes under M parallels is down right sexy! Fantastic work.

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
You just made a lot of people VERY happy!

What was the final cost on these, and is it easily replicable for us US guys and gals?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Wow, very nice work and thanks for posting
You just made a lot of people VERY happy!

What was the final cost on these, and is it easily replicable for us US guys and gals?

Thank you!
I am glad to hear that you appreciate the project. I was made the same thread in our Bulgarian forum and most of the comments are similar to "Why you spent so much money and not buy E60 M5?"

The price for everything is about $4500-4600 but I spent a lot for shipping. I think shipping for you would be cheaper, but the cost of work in the US is more expensive. For sure if you find used CLK63 calipers would be much more cheaper.

Best regards,
Alexander

·
Registered
551 Posts
Absolutely fantastic!!...

Several questions come to mind:

1. The mounting brackets you made, front and rear, will you be making them available (that's hard part, for me anyway)?? That would be great!! $$$??
2. What is the minimum/maximum rotor diameter that can be used with this setup?? Likely the configuration of the mounting brakets controles this. Or does the size of the caliper control this? Fitting 362mm under a 18" wheel is great.
3. the center line of the rotor (the off set from the mating surface) relative to stock?? more? less? the same???
4. When you tried the Style 65's, was that with or without spacers?? If with, how thick??

·
Registered
294 Posts
Great work.

As above, is this replicable by someone without access to CNC equipment? If not, would you make available the CAD drawings you used?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
looks great.. always nice to see someone wiling to do custom work to fit their desire parts on the car. '

I did a similar upgrade with a set of Endless brakes for the front.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Absolutely fantastic!!...

1. The mounting brackets you made, front and rear, will you be making them available (that's hard part, for me anyway)?? That would be great!! $$$??
2. What is the minimum/maximum rotor diameter that can be used with this setup?? Likely the configuration of the mounting brakets controles this. Or does the size of the caliper control this? Fitting 362mm under a 18" wheel is great.
3. the center line of the rotor (the off set from the mating surface) relative to stock?? more? less? the same???
4. When you tried the Style 65's, was that with or without spacers?? If with, how thick??
1. I'm not sure for that, but I will do my best to take 3D models from the guy who made it.
2. Stock CLK63 uses 360 mm rotors. In my opinion with these calipers 370 mm rotors would be great. 375 mm would be absolutely maximum. Minimum would be 355 I think. About the rears stock Cayenne uses 350 mm rotors, so minimum is 343 (which I used) and maximum around 355-360 I think.
3. The offset of the fronts and rears is 1 mm less than stock with these hats.
4. On the front Style 65's could be fitted without spacers, but the core of the wheel is very close to the caliper - around 1 mm. Rears require minimum 5 mm spacers to fit.

Great work.

As above, is this replicable by someone without access to CNC equipment? If not, would you make available the CAD drawings you used?
It's not imposible but would be hard definately. I will do my best.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

About this point we could make few sets of mounting brackets but would be necessary to be done group buy from you and 3-4 more guys. You want only brackets and would use another discs with hats or custom made hats too? Hats like mine could be used on Reyland and AP Racing discs.

One more thing let you know. Rear calipers from Cayenne are very big and there is very little free space for mounting. It was necessary to be done some rasp around the mointing hole of the calipers. Unfortunately I do not have photos of this at the moment. About the fronts isn't needed such intervention. So the entire set is really customized and not so Plug&Play like Brembo GT kit.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am very interested in these for my touring project. Please let us know if we can purchase some of these parts or get access to the CAD drawings. I am looking to do BBK's in early spring and would love to use those OEM Brembo's.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If there are at least 4-5 enthusiast I could ask for a price and group buy.

Another thing which I've just remembered about the rear brakes - on the Cayenne rear calipers is located to the front of the car. On the M5 rear calipers is located to the rear of the car. The smaller piston should meet first the rotating disk, the bigger piston is second, so the following modification is needed:

Cayenne's calipers are simmetric up and down. The only difference is on the one side there is tube for a brake fluid. Under that tube there is a small channel. So it is necessary to do the same channel on the other side of the caliper and move the tube there. Please look at the marked areas:

With this small modification calipers intended to be mounted to the front of the Cayenne could be mounted to the rear of the M5.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Those rear calipers looks very similar to the OEM Brembos on my STI, and those used calipers are cheap. And if the front/back is reversed, you can go with the EVO which is the reversed STI caliper.

From a quick google, it looks like the STI's brakes might be a bit smaller than the Cayenne, but that may be desirable if people need a bit more front bias.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Those rear calipers looks very similar to the OEM Brembos on my STI, and those used calipers are cheap. And if the front/back is reversed, you can go with the EVO which is the reversed STI caliper.

From a quick google, it looks like the STI's brakes might be a bit smaller than the Cayenne, but that may be desirable if people need a bit more front bias.
Good point of view. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts