BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out my 10 year old 740il and my latest baby, '01 M5. I just thought they looked awfully good in the garage together.

A note on the 740...when I bought it someone had taken a jigsaw and had cut horrible pass-through holes in the lower bodywork to put a couple of even more horrendous exhaust tips through the back....what you see now is simply damage control, I had my body shop recut and clean-up the holes, then I put new tips on there, I think it looks pretty good, especially with the white lower bumper. I'll put it this way, people in Houston know whether it's me or not!

I smile everytime I put the garage door up!

lovelove

Attachments

·
Registered
959 Posts
Very nice, John!

How does the exhaust sound on the 740?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Stoner said:

lovelove
Nice "stable" in your garage!!:thumbsup:

Referencing your smile comment... I think that is the sign of a great design. It still looks great years later. So many previous generations of BMWs fit this mold. The newer BMWs are not doing it for me.

I still smile every time I see my E-34 535i (which I get to "view" even more these days as my son is now driving her.)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DoctorV8 said:
Very nice, John!

How does the exhaust sound on the 740?
It sounds pretty good, especially when you put the gear selector in sport and really invite the throttle to take part in moving that big car off the line. She really puts some distance between you and the cars you just left at the light...that 4 liter sounds great.

I was just driving it yesterday and thinking to myself how nice the ride is in that car! What a yacht, and I can sit in the back and cross my legs, and I'm 6"3!

Alas, I have a cruiser AND a bruiser! hiha

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still smile every time I see my E-34 535i (which I get to "view" even more these days as my son is now driving her.)[/QUOTE]
Hey Stickman, I'll bet you're feeling pretty good about your Son being in such a safe and eye-catching car. Too many bland cars out there...I actually bought a 1980 280E my second year in college and while it was certainly the lower to mid level Mercedes, I could pile plenty of girls in it and drive something that nobody else had...oh, and I sold it when it had 310,000 miles on the odometer, having never touched the engine.

Best of luck with your cars!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Stoner said:
I still smile every time I see my E-34 535i (which I get to "view" even more these days as my son is now driving her.)
Hey Stickman, I'll bet you're feeling pretty good about your Son being in such a safe and eye-catching car. Too many bland cars out there...
Best of luck with your cars![/QUOTE]Hello Stoner,
Thank you! Yeah, it does make me feel good. It also gives me the "excuse" to get the Beast.:D What makes it a little easier to take, is that he just loves the car as much as I do (well maybe!) and really appreciates what he has (versus just being "transportation") The car just had the clutch replaced at 135K miles. Engine still hasn't had any problems (knock on wood!!).
Regards,
Alfred

Attachments

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Stoner said:
Check out my 10 year old 740il and my latest baby, '01 M5. I just thought they looked awfully good in the garage together.

Nice choice in stablemates, Stoner! Here are ours, caught outside grazing.

The arrival any day now of a third child has us perplexed as to which must go to make room for a larger people-hauler. Right now, I plan to run my Beast into the ground, but my wife was commenting how much she'll miss her 740i Sport....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek: Wow, both cars are just lovely! I should take a few pictures in the sun of the two (duh!). The wheels on your M5 are just great and I've always admired the color of your 7 (pretty rare sight). How nice, thanks for the photo!

We're planning on tearing down and rebuilding our house next year, I've already got plans in my mind for a lift in one car bay so that we can find another car to add to the stable....:haha2:. My wife loves her 740, but everytime she sees the 645 she just drools. Maybe now's not a good time to tell her I'm thinking about the M6 as the only car that could ever replace the M5!

Take care. (BTW, what's the interior color on the beast?)

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i saw another 740 in imola red last weekend at the san jose grand prix, what a great looking car! Quite rare, i'd imagine.
Mike

·
Registered
127 Posts
Beautiful cars indeed, can't go wrong with a E38 as a daily driver. I agree the M62 is a great sounding motor, and a '01 Imola Red sport is just icing on the cake!!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Stoner said:
(BTW, what's the interior color on the beast?)
Black interiors on both. Something I said at one point that I'd never do, but they wear like iron. With a good tint job, I've found black interiors to be quite livable. I've got nearly ~81K miles on my Beast's black sport interior, and aside from some slight bolster wear, it looks brand new.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I've only encountered one other Imola E38 when I lived in Atlanta, and the local dealership says we're now the only one they know of around here.

Funny story on finding it...I saw a photo ad in AutoWeek for a pretty pristine example for sale in Chicago. I told my brother about it, and he Googled 'imola + 740 + sport' and discovered there was another one for sale right in Atlanta. I went to see it, only to verify if it would be suitable for my wife to test-drive. It had fewer miles, it was the end of the month, yada-yada, and I had a sweet deal by the end of the drive.

The thing that blows me away about this machine is the usable pick-up. Between the impressive torque curve (something like 90% of the S62) and the bigger rear axle ratio, I was simply astonished when I took it for a spin. And every single time I've driven it since!

-Dave

·
Registered
366 Posts
I recognize the Houston car!
Too funny. I have been trying to talk my wife into an E38 sport forever and almost pulled the trigger on an Imola/Blk 2001 here in Dallas lasr spring. I went BEAST instead for $1K less! I do love the 7 in TitanSilber, Anthrazit, Imola......now I'm drooling. I would miss the power too much to change now though.

Anyone need a Tahoe? HAHAHAHAHA.

:haha2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts