BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused2 Hi guys, thanks for all the hellos and help so far! I have a quick question. Today I went to my beast (Which has just had inspection 2 a fresh paint job,and new brakes) and my drivers door won't open. I used the keyless and every other door opened, but the driver's door stayed locked, the lock latch pin doesn't even come up. I entered thru the passenger door, and tried just opening the door, and when I try the interior door handle, the lock latch pin goes almost all the way up, but not all the way, I can't pull it all the way up, it feels like it's connected to the interior door handle only.. Has anyone else here had this? Is there another way to open the door so at least I could open up the door and see what's going on?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help guys, I apreciate it!:cheers:

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
:confused2 Hi guys, thanks for all the hellos and help so far! I have a quick question. Today I went to my beast (Which has just had inspection 2 a fresh paint job,and new brakes) and my drivers door won't open. I used the keyless and every other door opened, but the driver's door stayed locked, the lock latch pin doesn't even come up. I entered thru the passenger door, and tried just opening the door, and when I try the interior door handle, the lock latch pin goes almost all the way up, but not all the way, I can't pull it all the way up, it feels like it's connected to the interior door handle only.. Has anyone else here had this? Is there another way to open the door so at least I could open up the door and see what's going on?

Thanks so much in advance for all your help guys, I apreciate it!:cheers:
Did anyone work on your door recently? Most doors have a cable system to operate the release levers. Don't know on BMW. If so, either one of the cables has come unlatched, or the door still thinks it is "locked" and is not reading the unlocked position. I assume the key will not open the door manually. Prob need to take inner panel off and see what is going on. Might want a tech to do it unless you have time and are reasonably handy.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
That same problem has been happening to me over and over again on my rear left passenger door.

Everytime it happened, the technician would manually fiddle with the locking mechanism and that would fix it. So its definitely something mechanical.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
This happened to me on my M3. Could not open the drivers door from the inside. I took it in and the Stealer replaced the door latch mechanism. It worked, but they screwed a bunch of other stuff up that resulted in a drivers side window replacement, window regulator and motor replacement, etc. (all covered by warranty of course).

Since you mentioned that you had the car repainted, I'm guessing that they removed the inside door panel for some reason and did not connect everything back correctly. Take it back to the the dealer and they should fix it at no cost since this happened only after Insp. 2 (I'm assuming this wasn't happening before)

:cheers:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, going to take it in, have no clue how they'll do it, the door won't open, so how do you remove the door panel??? AHHHH. Oh well, everyone is laughing at the kid getting out of his M5 thru the passenger door!

·
Registered
630 Posts
ttboyvanc said:
Thanks guys, going to take it in, have no clue how they'll do it, the door won't open, so how do you remove the door panel??? AHHHH. Oh well, everyone is laughing at the kid getting out of his M5 thru the passenger door!
Exactly the same occured on my passenger door ; unfortunately no warranty and cost a big bucket of cash.

It ended up with the dealer not being able to get in to the door without damaging the panel as all of the electrics in the door had failed (Window and also the mirror). So before they did that they had to order a new one from Germany. (3 weeks to arrive).

They replaced a Pulse Generator, the door rod and the control module in the door. That little lot cost £212 plus tax and the replacement door panel was a further £714 plus tax !!!! Labour was a further £200 plus tax. A nice little bill of £1306 just before Xmas, with also having both kids birthdays in December it was a pricey month :sad2:

Thankfully as it was the passenger door it didn't cause me too much hassle whilst awaiting the door panel to arrive as 99% of the time it's only me in there, but it wasn't until I had the first passenger in after the fix that I spotted that the door couldn't be opened from the inside and the window button was upside down. At least those 2 issues were sorted free of charge.

Good luck and I hope you don't have to go through the bank balance as I had to....

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay starting to tear up.... the mirror still works, but have no clue how they can open the door, unless they can jimmy it, or use some other manual way of opening it???:crying:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys, funny how the small things can make us so sad/happy. Door was fixed, it was the door lock actuator, all in all, cost me $120 US to fix!

Thanks!

Phil...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts