BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stage 3 of my garage build (Stage 1 was the garage itself, Stage 2 was the floor which I posted about earlier) is now complete. More stages coming soon.

After much research, I finally decided on a Challenger VS-10. I laid out the columns using Rhino Ramps which closely approximate the column size. My garage is 25'3" deep and the ceiling height is 13'0" at the center, and my goal was to put the columns as far back as possible while still allowing room to park (small) cars between them and the overhead door, even if it was "tight." While I never plan to own 5 cars, it doesn't hurt to plan. I also needed to ensure enough room behind them to lift any vehicle up to a large SUV (I don't own one, but friends do).

I had it professionally installed by a skilled local shop. They took their time and did a great job. The lower stops aren't adjusted quite right (from the factory), so they have to come out and re-shim the carriages, but the lift works and I can at least get working on cars now. No comments about the electrical wire - I obviously only set that up as a "quickie" to get the lift running and will re-do it this weekend properly :)

Next up I need to finish electrical, compressor lines, and then get HVAC and insulation installed.

Pictures are not modified or cleaned up - this is just how they came out of the camera so please forgive any bad lighting or contrast, etc.

Want to know a cool but unexpected benefit of having a lift? For those of us with bad knees and/or backs (I'm not that old yet, but it's happening already!) it helps with washing/polishing and detailing. You can get the wheels, rockers, and lower door areas right up to eye level.

Such as:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Wow, very cool. Congrats.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome. Looks like it's coming together really nicely. Have you thought about one of these to finish it off?
Bryan, I have a ton more to do before I get to that point, but funny enough, I don't like or drink beer (not man enough? or more than man enough for admitting it in public? LOL) so I plan to get a minifridge at some point.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the $$ damage so far? haha
Ooh, I don't think that's post-able. It's not as much as you think, but its more than I wanted it to cost. LOL

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha...how many E30's could you of bought? :tonquesmilie:
Depends on what year, model, mileage, and condition. I would say probably at least two, but not 20.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Depends on what year, model, mileage, and condition. I would say probably at least two, but not 20.
haha, garage looks great man, i am sure a lot of members are writing their vows to santa now! Any plans to do something about the walls on the inside? or gonna leave them like that?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love the lift, I can only dream of one day having one of my own. I know from using the ones at the local AFB hobby shop how much easier they make any task.

Also I love how you have an Imola Red and a Lemans blue, They make an awesome contrast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nice garage man, function meets pleasing design... Lift + air lines + tool carts... and to top everything off a huge window for lots of natural light. This will be something for all aspiring garagebuilders to look up to - hard to match though.

Kudos on all the hard work, hve fun in your new playground :grinyes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
that is pretty cool!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts