BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh boy!

Here's the deal.... my ECU got flashed by the dealer and now my car is running on stock software.

Now here's the story, when I first sent out my ECU to Shadowman, it was through RMS that my ECU was going to be remapped and sent back to me. Although something was done to my ECU, the power was definitely there, the fuel timing was definitely more advanced. But.. i had problems left right and center.

First off, everytime i started the car from cold, the RPM would shoot up to 3000, and then drop and "engine failsafe prog." would appear on my display. (i have it on video) Which meant the car was in limp mode, it wouldnt even rev. I would switch off and restart the car, it was fine.

Then limp mode would kick in while driving and reving to certain RPM's. The car would then stutter, retard and misfire... you name it, it was happening.

Now remember guys, this was RMS job we're talking about. When I took the matter up with Bill, he did his utmost to help me out and the guys at PC did a fantastic job responding to my problems.... Joel and Wayne went out of their way and did almost everything in their power to help out. They even sent out the cable and software to me so that i could do it at home. They even tried to remove my speed limiter which wasnt removed in the first place. (Never tested it cause the car never ran right after that!)

But still, problems were there. I reached a point where i couldnt drive the car because of its unreliability. It would break down often and most of the time, it wouldnt even start and would misfire. You could literally smell the re=ich fuel from the exhaust as the car idled rough!

On several occasions, PC had asked me to have the ECU flashed so they could start from scratch, but unfortunately the delaer would come back to me and say "we cant do it, we dont have the tool"!!!!

Anyways, on my last visit to the dealers, i made a big fuss about me paying for their attempts at resolving my faults and they finally lost their patience with me! They flashed my ECu and proved to me that all my problems were from the software. Oh well, i have been driving the car for a few days now and so far so good. Feels like a 540 now compared to what it was before, but atleast it runs properly! Thank God.

The good news is that i have the stock software now. The question here is, should i have the ECU done again this time by PC knowing that the stock software is there in case anything goes wrong? Or shall i just stay away from having it done? I mean, is it advisable to have PC remap my ECU although my car is EURO spec?

Shadowman is coming over to Bahrain in a couple of weeks i think, i can ask him to bring along the equipment needed to make the changes at home. We will also have a dyno up and running shortly so i am sure Bill can do it all himself here!

Just wanted your thoughts on this one guys? And if Bill is reading this... "what are your suggestions bro?"

Thank

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ahmed,

I would not settle for second best, now that you have the ECU at a good baseline to start over from. PC is all about customer satisfaction... I had my ECU re-programed, they sent me the laptop and cable, so I could download and less than twenty four hours had the new software back. About a year later after I did my mods and had dyno results, it appeared that I was running rich. I sent the dyno print out and my ECU (PC sent me a special box) to PC and in less than a week (including shipping time) I had my ECU back. PC is great! and I feel better knowing that I am running as best that my Beast can do. No what if's....

I say go for it :thumbsup: LOL to you!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Ahmed, how long has it been since the dealer flashed your ecu? I would give it a couple of weeks, of testing, making sure no SES/check lights come up, and that the car is running pretty much as normal as could be. Try and drive the same as you were before, putting the car though alittle more though.

Once your happy with it, go for the PC update, I believe they automatically store your original ecu map, and infact make a copy.. edit that and then upload that copy into your DME.

Either that, or go to someone like Kelleners, who can pretty much do everything to the ecu/dme at their facilities in dinslakin.

B

·
0 Posts
Just remove your ECU, FedEx it to shadowman, and you will have it back before the end of the week.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys,

I am not sure if it would be advisable to push the car as i am afraid that i might be running a little lean! But that shouldnt be a problem with these high tech cars should it?

Anyways, like Tin said, i'm gonnna drive a bit more and make sure all is fine before pointing the finger completely at the ECU.

However, after having an aggressive software on my car, driving the beast now is no longer exciting! I can no longer take on cars like vette C6's off the line, and porshce 996TT's! Its just no fun anymore and its depressing!

About sending out my ECU have way across the world, i dont think so. Too much customs issues to deal with. Our custom guys here arent well known for their competence and intelligence!

Ask Shadowman, he will tell you! There was a major mess up sending the cable and box back to PC cause of customs issues first, and then beleive it or not, some idiot in my office put the wrong address and phone no. on the bill and teh shipment literally went and came back!!!!

Anyways, i really wanna go for the software again! Its a must!

B

·
0 Posts
Ahmed said:
Thanks Guys,

I am not sure if it would be advisable to push the car as i am afraid that i might be running a little lean! But that shouldnt be a problem with these high tech cars should it?

Anyways, like Tin said, i'm gonnna drive a bit more and make sure all is fine before pointing the finger completely at the ECU.

However, after having an aggressive software on my car, driving the beast now is no longer exciting! I can no longer take on cars like vette C6's off the line, and porshce 996TT's! Its just no fun anymore and its depressing!

About sending out my ECU have way across the world, i dont think so. Too much customs issues to deal with. Our custom guys here arent well known for their competence and intelligence!

Ask Shadowman, he will tell you! There was a major mess up sending the cable and box back to PC cause of customs issues first, and then beleive it or not, some idiot in my office put the wrong address and phone no. on the bill and teh shipment literally went and came back!!!!

Anyways, i really wanna go for the software again! Its a must!
I hear you on the customs and shipping issues. However, no duty should be due, as you can register the serial number of your ECU prior to exportation. We ship to the Middle East all the time, with no problems.

Cheers, Daniel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts