BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went into perillo bmw here in downtown to pick up some TWS for a long overdue oil change. The guy in the parts department asked me what car it was for, e39 m5 i responded. He said its the wrong oil for that car thats why they stopped using it and asked whos changing my oil. I said i am. he rolled his eyes and basically said ok good luck.. :eek7: What the heck.?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
One word, Dealer......

Dont worry about it, oil opinions are a dime a dozen. Quite frankly, based on my interactions with local dealers, they dont know SH--!!, outside of most of the techs. In cooler/colder climate, I prefer and use a lighter weight oil (10-40).

Steve

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Think about it... he is a high school graduate (maybe) working at a parts counter.

Most of the folks you interact with at the dealership are not technically competent... CAs, SAs, Parts...even their jr. mechanics. Furthermore they tend to believe the drivel they hear from blowhards in the shop.

plus, it's Perillo (aka Puerile)

A

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
You are saying it wrong, its pronounced STEALER

Reactions: havasusteve03Beast

·
Registered
991 Posts
Actually, to be honest it all depends on your vin what oil to use. If he didn't look up your vin before he told you you were using the wrong stuff, then he's an idiot. If he ran the vin, and told you to use 5w30, its plausable.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Actually, to be honest it all depends on your vin what oil to use. If he didn't look up your vin before he told you you were using the wrong stuff, then he's an idiot. If he ran the vin, and told you to use 5w30, its plausable.

Dude, read 100 of the first 500 threads you get with a search for "What oil should I use".... then youll understand why the old vin look up does not define what oil should or should not be used....

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
There's a debate on what oil is right? What did I miss?

:)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
About time! I was having oil thread withdrawal..

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Thank GOD you guys put this thread onto the right track!

Rule: Every oil thread MUST be turned into a goof on oil threads....

(the applause gif is perfect...)

A

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
the more oil threads I reed the more confused I get. ugh........

I was looking through the service records the PO gave me and they used the 5W30 oil in it. The BMW sticker under the hood says to use the 5W30 oil.

I keep reading about the 10W60 oil and how that should be used.

I don't know what to do keep putting 5W30 in or switch to the 10W60.

·
Registered
624 Posts
no no God please no oh no why

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Given that all S62s have NASA developed teflon coated engine internals,it is not necessary to run ANY oil in them!!!!!!!!

So no idea what you guys are talking about:biggrinbounce:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts