BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would post a short piece on my experience of AlphaN and Evolve for anyone who is interested.

I had been following a lot of the threads on here and bmw5.co.uk about AlphaN and was interested as I had previously used it on a non BMW car.
When I had a MAF fail I decided, instead of throwing away £££/$$$ on another MAF that I now see as more of a consumable, I might as well invest the money in a permanent fix.
I spoke with Sal and booked the car in for a Saturday afternoon.

On the day, I made my way over and met Sal and his colleagues at their clean workshop, Sal had a look over the car and answered many of the questions I had. The required data was downloaded from the ECU and then we went inside to his computer where the work begins.

What I was not expecting was the openness of the whole operation, Sal was quite happy to explain everything that he did which was brilliant for me as I always like to try and understand the details of how something works.
First we took a look at the current map, it had been tweaked with before and appeared quite interesting to Sal. He confirmed that it had been mapped to run rich, which explains all the unburnt fuel I get over the back of the car.
Sal corrected the over-fuelling, and worked his magic in other areas of the map, it was then time to apply the map and dyno the car :biggrin:

Unfortunately as the car already had one bust MAF a 'before' dyno reading would be pointless. As the car did its runs you could see the ECU learning which was pretty cool, in the end we ended up with a very respectable figure. Sal commented it was higher than expected for a 150k car with just backboxes, panel filters and no IAT relocation. I have recently had a brand new fuel pump and filter put in, perhaps older cars are lacking the fuel pressure, who knows? :dunno:

It is important to note here, I went for the AlphaN as a solution to fix the MAF issue and also improve the drive-ability of the car. The increased power was a bonus ;)

We took the car out for a test drive and it was so smooth, what made it for me was the pulling off in 1st and the shift to 2nd. I used to expect jerky starts because of the way you press the throttle and a little time after the power turns up. This was now not the case, it drove superbly and very smoothly. The car was so smooth it was quite deceptive, almost hiding the rawness of 400bhp from you.

To summarise, I have now had the AlphaN for a week and have noticed the following:
1. Perfect throttle response
2. No more soot on the rear
3. Better MPG
4. More power
5. Silky smooth power delivery
6. Cold idle and drive-ability is actually better than before

The only downside I have seen is the balance on my credit card, but then buying another pair of MAFs would cost about the same and is a temporary repair.

Wheel HP

Flywheel HP

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Intresting that its been fiddled with before but I guess that does explain those black marks.

Whats the difference in your MPG as for me, thats the only thing the M5 does 'badly'

Oh do you recall you said that one of my lights had the adjusters broken? It failed the MOT because of them :( fixed it thought and it passed 2nd time.

·
Registered
991 Posts
First we took a look at the current map, it had been tweaked with before and appeared quite interesting to Sal. He confirmed that it had been mapped to run rich, which explains all the unburnt fuel I get over the back of the car.
Did you have an aftermarket reflash?

Unfortunately as the car already had one bust MAF a 'before' dyno reading would be pointless. The increased power was a bonus ;)
What increase in power?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guys, if you need more power, AlphaN is not the solution but with powermapping and another mods what Evolve can offer, there you go. You wont be dissapointed. Mpg with AlphaN, atleast in my case is exactly the same as with the mafs. I've been driving with the AlphaN approx 5-6000km without problems, including the coldstars 0c degree and at the moment in Finland it's the warmest summer in 50 years so 30c +

ps. Mailman (member of the board) just passed emission tests without the problems.

Reactions: Mike S. and Frye

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Thanks for the write-up!

Very nice meeting you and very good figures at the end of it. It's shame we did not have good MAF's start with but looks like the vanos mapping is working especially considering the difference is felt on the road at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Intresting that its been fiddled with before but I guess that does explain those black marks.

Whats the difference in your MPG as for me, thats the only thing the M5 does 'badly'

Oh do you recall you said that one of my lights had the adjusters broken? It failed the MOT because of them :( fixed it thought and it passed 2nd time.
The MPG is more varied, if I push it hard then it will certainly use more fuel. But when taking it easy or on a motorway cruise I find it is easier to get higher average mpgs. Its an improvement, but I couldn't tell you by how much as I am often enjoying the engine ;) :M5rev:

Frye, It did already have an aftermarket reflash. I have zero information on who did it, there were not even notes inside the data pulled from the DME.
The power increase provided on my car was more to do with ensuring good consistent performance rather than out and out power. I have no idea what it put out before but as the only obvious alteration is the backboxes and panel filters I would have expected it to be no better than a stock car.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but the Evolve AlphaN flash eliminates the need for MAFs? Should I have went with the AlphaN tuning instead of Powerchip - note my MAFs are working fine as far as I know (up to 130 Lph reading at WOT).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pardon my ignorance but the Evolve AlphaN flash eliminates the need for MAFs? Should I have went with the AlphaN tuning instead of Powerchip - note my MAFs are working fine as far as I know (up to 130 Lph reading at WOT).
Yes the MAFs are no longer required, you only need the temperature sensor so the DME can know the temperature of the incoming air.
I would have gone with Evolve AlphaN over Powerchip, certainly seems to have more benefits.

·
Banned
233 Posts
Thanks for the write-up!

Very nice meeting you and very good figures at the end of it. It's shame we did not have good MAF's start with but looks like the vanos mapping is working especially considering the difference is felt on the road at higher rpm's.
Thanks for sharing Bono. And to Evolve Auto., what are the benefits vs. downsides compard to chip tuning OBD1? I have a supercharged 1995 540i with a fully built M62 (S62 crankshaft/JE pistons/Arrow rods/port-n-polish heads) and supercharged. Thanks, and please pm if needed.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Nice write-up. I'm glad you're pleased with the tuning. I continue to be very happy with my Alpha-N setup as well. MPG has remained consistent with stock, and the drive-ability is very nice.

Don't go looking to this specifically for power gains, though. It's not designed for that. However, you may find a few stray HP lurking around... ;-)

Cheers,
Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts