BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts
Discussion starter · #22 ·
Thanks. Maybe we could try to put em in the owen just like we did with e39 head lights?
Oven is usually best for warming permaseal and butyl on heads and tails and if I did another set of E6X tails I would probably go that route. A word of caution is some tail light lenses are quite thin and can easily become deformed with the heat.

Yesterday I was messing around with a pair of Silverado tails I bought to experiment on. 250F at 8mins warped the lens, 225F at 10mins wasn't hot enough, but 230F @8mins managed to deform the lens again. The silverado tail is much larger and thinner than that on the BMW but you always have to be careful. You can see the warping in the pics below.

When we will see a total blackout? High gloss black everywhere on the inside? :)
I have my hands full with other retrofits and projects at the moment but a full black-out is a bridge I would like to cross. Instead of gloss black I would probably use the high-temp Rustoleum paint I use for most projects (and is currently on the tails). I would categorize it as a flat black finish but has an interesting iridescent glisten to it which adds some depth. Also, if I go back in there I would likely frost the celis tubes and/or upgrade the LEDs. I noticed that the tubes only have LEDs mounted on one end of the tubes so adding some on the opposing side would really make the tubes uniform, not sure if it is worth all the work though.

Evan

Reactions: BadSeed
ucsbwsr, I just bought some European tail lights for my E61 as I prefer the amber signal lights to the red ones that we have in North America. The ones I got (left in photo) are clearly from a diesel model as they have spot on and in them, especially the exhaust side one from the left side. I cleaned their exterior and it looks just fine but I’m guessing there is no easy way to clean the inside. You can see it is darker in tint than the one still on the back of the car. I was curious if I could pour some solvent in and shake around and pour out but I imagine that would only make things worse or melt something. There are screws holding the LED circuit panel on but I’m afraid if I remove them I’ll never get the panel lined up again to reinstall, plus I still don’t see how I could get to the lens. I think the lenses need to be cut off. You've got experience that I don't, does that sound about right?

Attachments

21 - 23 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.