BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may be aware I recently cut open my oem lci headlights to modify the oem Hella projector, add another set of projectors, and paint the housing. The performance and looks of the tail lights never really bothered me but I figured it best to paint the tail lights to complete the look of the wagon.

I am not a fan of chrome, amber, or bright red tail lights. All of my cars have had amber deletes and tinted tail lights (only the red, not the clear parts). I liked the look of the tail lights Republic Wraps was producing, blacking out the housings darkened the overall look while adding contrast to the celis led tubes, win-win IMO. I wanted to utilize the same paint scheme as my headlights (flat black and aluminum) since I didn't want the light output to be completely shot for the brake lights I painted those aluminum along with the trim that surrounds the led turn signals at the top.

To further aid the brake light performance with the new light-absorbing paint, I have 2 sets of Cree xb-d led bulbs (red LEDs) in the mail. I am familiar with the bulbs as I ordered a set of white and 2 sets of ambers for my girlfriends Prius and they perform exceptionally well, especially considering the price, see below. Cutting open the housings was a little tricky at first but straight forward after you get the hang of it, being patient is key. I will post some final pictures once the led bulbs arrive.

I really wish they made white-line tail lights for the E61, I think these would look SICK without the red lens, and since the running and brake lights are red themselves everything would function properly. I modified my girlfriends headlights/tail lights with the same color scheme and they look great with a 100% clear cover. Her Prius looks pretty good (for a Prius).

:cheers:
Evan

Removed the "light smoke" tint from my inner housing, main housing still has tint installed.

Inner housing modified, main housing stock (not tint).

Both inner housings completed.

Chrome Fiesta.

My style.

Comparison

Main housing before and after.

Inner housing B&A

Testing the lights before resealing

Cree xb-d bulbs (these are amber and white but are the same size/power/make of the red ones I have arriving shortly.

Amber light output for reference.

White light output is fantastic.

I now wish I had a clear lens on my tail lights.

Black/Aluminum color scheme runs rampant.

My headlights for reference.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
excellent work. Can you link me to the LED bulbs you are using? Are they canbus/any errors?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent work. Can you link me to the LED bulbs you are using? Are they canbus/any errors?
Thanks. Here is the link for the seller I bought the bulbs from. Guangzhou Riley Auto Technology Co.,Ltd - Small Orders Online Store, Hot Selling light star,light card,bulb stand and more on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

They throw errors but all you need to do is code them out with NCS Expert. A resistor would also work but coding is the best way to go about eliminating bulb errors.

Evan

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: torun

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some better pics of the lights installed. Excuse the dirty wagon (#dailydriven) it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I didn't feel like washing it, the rain will also allow me to test how well the tails are sealed.

I am very happy the way they turned out but still wish the lenses were 100% clear, the lights would look gangster! Maybe look into a one-off set of E61 "White Lines." :2:

Evan

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The F10 white lines are my favorite especially on a frozen exterior color. Turner Motorsport have them on their Frozen Gray F10 M5 and I think it looks awesome.

Reactions: umichchris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tail lights look great!

Quick question, what are the specs of your forgestars? I am about to order myself a set of f14's, just not sure what sizes to get. I'm looking for flush fitment like yours.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tail lights look great!

Quick question, what are the specs of your forgestars? I am about to order myself a set of f14's, just not sure what sizes to get. I'm looking for flush fitment like yours.
I have a 535xi and xi cars have REALLY high offsets, in addition I have M5 hubs in the rear so my offsets are fairly unique and I don't know how helpful my specs will be. I recommend getting in touch with Anzafin as he has an E60 M5 and his fitment with 20" F14s is on point. In addition to that Google and Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit are your friends for fine tunining the fitment.

Since I am running oem M5 front fenders and fender liners with KW V3 at their lowest recommended setting I can tell you that with a 245/40/19 on a 19x9.5 there is no room to run a taller tire. Hopefully that is of interest to you.

Evan

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My LED brake light bulbs arrived, well 2 of the 4 I ordered, the seller forgot to send the 2nd pair. Light output is fantastic as I anticipated. Here are some pics showing their performance along with additional tail light pictures.

Evan

Oem vs LED

4 rear-firing LEDs with projector lens

Running Lights

Running Lights + Turn Signal

Running + Turn Signal + Brake

Close Up

Side View

LED Left vs. OEM Right

At ~40yards

Reactions: torun

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hey did you have to cut open the lights for both tails and head lights for the BMW's or is there a cleaner way to open them up?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hey did you have to cut open the lights for both tails and head lights for the BMW's or is there a cleaner way to open them up?
Unfortunately both oem headlights and tails are perma-sealed so cutting is necessary. Not going to lie, it sucks!

Evan

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any pictures of the disassembly/cutting please?
No sorry. The technique involves a heat gun, a thin razor, and patience. The biggest tip I can give is to cut/separate the lens between the housing and the permaseal, as opposed to between the lens and permaseal. This allows the finished product to appear more oem and less "hacked up."

Evan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts