BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it my imagination or could my '03 have thinner paint than my '00 had?

Look at these mirrors..driven 2 summers (not winter driven) and all chipped to hell! It appears as the paint is only microns thick and very vulnerable.Luckily I applied 3M over the front of the car and rockers and I actually had put it on the mirrors but had it removed as it didn't take well to the curvature of the mirror.

I'm going to question my sealer on repainting them...( I know,I know..good luck)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
GregC said:
Is it my imagination or could my '03 have thinner paint than my '00 had?

Look at these mirrors..driven 2 summers (not winter driven) and all chipped to hell! It appears as the paint is only microns thick and very vulnerable.Luckily I applied 3M over the front of the car and rockers and I actually had put it on the mirrors but had it removed as it didn't take well to the curvature of the mirror.

I'm going to question my sealer on repainting them...( I know,I know..good luck)
I hate to say this out of fear of jinxing myself but my '00 with 19k on the clock has two stone chips on the front of it...TWO. So I'm pretty pleased. A rock hit and dented the roundel on the hood...I was happy about that because I replaced it with a new one for $20 bucks.

Of course the next time I drive it I'll get a nice big one right in the middle of the hood.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
e39m5nut said:
I hate to say this out of fear of jinxing myself but my '00 with 19k on the clock has two stone chips on the front of it...TWO. So I'm pretty pleased. A rock hit and dented the roundel on the hood...I was happy about that because I replaced it with a new one for $20 bucks.

Of course the next time I drive it I'll get a nice big one right in the middle of the hood.

I had a MY'00 and even winter drove it and I didn't get the chips like this one.The chips reveal a white primer ??? I gonna get the paint thickness tested.

·
Registered
116 Posts
GregC said:
I had a MY'00 and even winter drove it and I didn't get the chips like this one.The chips reveal a white primer ??? I gonna get the paint thickness tested.
I am not a paint expert by any means, but I think it is an easy job to repaint the mirrors.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
e39m5nut said:
I am not a paint expert by any means, but I think it is an easy job to repaint the mirrors.
Yeah I guess so..but I also have a couple on the side of the car too now..If the paint is deemed within normal tolerances then I guess I'll have to live with it but if not then I would like to see BMW address the issue.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Greg, I think you are just driving too fast :M5launch: :haha:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Terk said:
Greg, I think you are just driving too fast :M5launch: :haha:
Tony...how's your paint ??

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The paint is fine Greg, besides she's a garage queen...garage by day and night. But seriously Greg, I have had no trouble with the paint and I have been really lucky very few stone chips.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Terk said:
The paint is fine Greg, besides she's a garage queen...garage by day and night. But seriously Greg, I have had no trouble with the paint and I have been really lucky very few stone chips.
How many kms now on your car ?? I just gave mine some new booties this past weekend..$2300 large.. I still like the PS-1's.Took off the original crappy Dunlops 8080 with only 27000 kms..you could see the air in the backs :)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Greg, I just turned 15,000km last weekend and yes I still have the stock Dunnies. Now I have the X5 4.8is, I find myself leaving the beast in the garage more than I should. I only put about 6K on her last year so this year I have vowed to spend more quality time behind the wheel.

Regards,
T.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A 4.8is.........you lucky dog...all I could muster up is an Acura MDX (for wifey)...although I sure luv the space in the back !

Get that M out of the garage man :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts