BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Finally finished photos!

Sorry for the delay! This is the first weekend I've had to give the beast a proper detail since I got it back a few weeks ago.

The guys at the panel shop have given it a light buff but want it back in the third week of September once the paint has cured when they will give it a final buff. As a result, there were a few areas where I can notice slight marks in full sunlight, but these are just where they have rubbed back small imperfections and will certainly be removed completely with the final buff.

Other than that, the paint is 100% perfect, and it would be almost impossible to pick that it's not original :applause:

I'm glad I replaced the headlight lenses (and cleaned & refurbed the internals - they are so much brighter now), and replaced all the black shadowline doorframe surrounds and bumper plastics. It looks incredible and the photos don't do it justice!

But it's highlighted that I need to replace the black door side moulds and re-tint the windows as both aren't perfect and are letting it down now that the rest is so good.

I've spent most of the day detailing it (it's now Sunday night here), including a coat of Turtle Wax Platinum Series (great stuff!) which has completely removed any buffings swirls. Yes - I'll have to do it again once they give it another going over! So a couple of photos are attached, and I'll get hold of a good camera and take some really nice shots once it's completely finished.

Nick

M5 painted 013.jpg
M5 painted 014.jpg
M5 painted 016.jpg
M5 painted 020.jpg
M5 painted 021.jpg
M5 painted 026.jpg
M5 painted 028.jpg
M5 painted 029.jpg
M5 painted 031.jpg
M5 painted 032.jpg
M5 painted 033.jpg
M5 painted 037.jpg
M5 painted 042.jpg

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Excellent news. Can't wait for the photos! Find some nice east coast back drops!!

Jay
Done for you, Jay :byebye:

Awesome stuff!

Have all the engine problems been sorted yet (mainly vanos) or is the saga still ongoing?
Hey Ben, it's running fantastic (I forgot how fast it was)! The problem was always intermittent and all that sitting around seems to have helped! But I've got all the gear I listed to do a lot of engine work and will do the vanos at the same time. It will have to be over Christmas when I've got some time off. Meanwhile I'm keen to catch up for a blast somewhere with you and the other Sydney guys...

Hi Nick

If the car is ready to roll ,great little drive to Newcastle foreshore for the car show below.Though our E39 M5 could put on the show.
SHOW AND SHINE
ALL GERMAN VEHICLES

Hi David, we're definiely keen for that!! But we will be coming back from a wedding at Coffs Harbour that day (probably not in the M5 until I know my vanos is 100% sorted). But we'll definitely come through for a look probably late morning. I'll give you a buzz!

Nick

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Way to represent the Carbon Black Beasts! A job very well done as she looks brand new. Of course you will post more pictures after the final buff and I can't wait.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Finally, fresh desktop wallpapers! :hihihi:

Wow, just wow....your car is a prime example of how I want mine to look one day...if I win the lottery most likely...:sad1:

Already figured it was a restoration, not just a respray...normally the doors don't come off, re-aligning them is a bit tedious,
not to mention the risk of damaging the new paint....

A joy to look at, great job, congrats! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the fantastic feedback - glad you all love the finished result as much as I do!

I'll definitely post more pics after the final buff and use a good camera to capture it as best I can. Thanks again for all the interest!

Nick

·
Registered
540 Posts
Amazing thread. Nick, your car is the most sparkling BMW i have ever seen in person.
The paint really captures the eye. It's an amazing piece of work.

I can't even imagine how much that respray would have cost you. But one thing's for sure, it's f*cking amazing.

What a beautiful car.

PS: Your exhaust is droolworthy mate. Please refer me to your fabricator!

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Changing the color is always tricky. I'd definitely go with the original color.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts