BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bare metal?!?!

I've always read that that is a bad idea as the bonding agents they apply at the factory via dipping and electro-plating far surpassed spray on/solvent primers...
Hi Ard,
That may be true and I guess you can never beat factory paint. But in my case there were microscopic blisters in the paint that you could see in certain light, and the guys at the panel shop tell me that the only way to be 100% sure of the new paint quality and longevity was to completely strip off the old base. Otherwise any problems in the paint underneath can come through. That's why they decided to take off all the old paint despite the extra labour involved.

keep it coming. nice thread. was the 1st page what it used to look like?
Thanks! Yes - the first photos were the "before" shots.

I also grabbed a few more photos today below. They tell me it will be painted next week and assembled the following week - so two more weeks to go!

M5 Primer 001.jpg
M5 Primer 002.jpg
M5 Primer 003.jpg
M5 Primer 005.jpg
M5 Primer 006.jpg

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Hi Ard,
That may be true and I guess you can never beat factory paint. But in my case there were microscopic blisters in the paint that you could see in certain light, and the guys at the panel shop tell me that the only way to be 100% sure of the new paint quality and longevity was to completely strip off the old base. Otherwise any problems in the paint underneath can come through. That's why they decided to take off all the old paint despite the extra labour involved.

]
My reason for bringing this up is that some readers may erroneously think that a 'bare metal respray' is the pinnacle of repaints. It is not, IMO. This is not just 'factory paint', but factory passivisation, factory bonding layers and then factory paint....If there was some kind of defect in your paint, under all the primer layers, that is a VERY unusual situation. I'd want two or three opinions before such an undertaking.

Here, just FYI:

Paint Shop | Production Process | BMW US Factory

Having said that (sorry for being Debbie Downer) it looks like the shop is taking their time and doing a careful job-

A

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My reason for bringing this up is that some readers may erroneously think that a 'bare metal respray' is the pinnacle of repaints. It is not, IMO. This is not just 'factory paint', but factory passivisation, factory bonding layers and then factory paint....If there was some kind of defect in your paint, under all the primer layers, that is a VERY unusual situation. I'd want two or three opinions before such an undertaking.

Here, just FYI:

Paint Shop | Production Process | BMW US Factory

Having said that (sorry for being Debbie Downer) it looks like the shop is taking their time and doing a careful job-

A
It is true the EDP coatings from the factory and on replacement parts are awesome and in general should not be removed (just scuffed and shot), butI would not worry about it in this case given that:

a.) any EDP style coating from the factory is still in the seems, nooks and crannies, on the backside, etc. These are the common starting areas for rust.

b.) the shop is hopefully using all 2K products (can't imagine they aren't) and preferably a 2K epoxy primer as the base. These "paints" are practically plastics these days and are pretty dang good at sealing the metal.

c.) corrosion can attack any car in any climate, but in general constant exposure to snow, ice, and rain are items that cause big problems. Where the OP is located he probably doesn't have to worry too much about this. Again, see item "a".

d.) If the car is stored inside (not sure if this one is or isn't) any corrosion concerns are GREATLY reduced.

My .02...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Epic, can't wait to see the end result, hope you own a good camera..............

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OK, finally I can see some carbon black! They took the front guards off so that they can properly paint where they meet the "A" Pillar. I'm just in the process of ordering all the black trim that goes around the window frames - geez that's expensive!

The panel shop just sent me these photos today, I'll go and take some better ones and post soon.

Panel 1 photo 6.JPG

Panel 1 photo 7.JPG

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
i would love to do something like this to my car
KA-Ching! I sure hope the OP has the balls to tell us how much the total bill, parts and labor, comes to when he's finished.

And by balls, I mean the courage to stand up to possible ridicule. "You spent how much on a twelve year old car?!?!?!?!" Nah, never mind, that's what his wife will be screaming. Anything we say will be tame in comparison.

Hmmmm... maybe a new thread, a survey, guessing the total bill.

I'm going to say 5700 AUD.

M

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Should look great when it is all done! I'd love to have mine totally redone but it is generally pretty good and only the front needs doing desperately due to stone chips!

cheers and keep the photos coming!

·
1,900 Posts
That's a truly inspirational story. personally I don't care about the economics, it's just great to see someone lavishing so much care an attention on a very special car. And the first E39 M5 in Australia is a very special car indeed.

But if we're having a sweepstake I'll go for 9000 AUD. Still great value based on the stupid prices that I understand M5s go for out there...

YG

·
Registered
492 Posts
Once she's done polish the headlights! Noticed yours are tarnished exactly like mine were.. I polished them and it makes a world of difference. Makes the whole car look new.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
WOW! Just saw the car. It's tucked in tightly between cars, so it's hard to get good photos. But the paint finish looks amazing! The depth of colour and amount of blue in the paint blew me away. They've gone around with some 2000 grade wet & dry and taken out any minor imperfections, and will then polish it. Currently preparing the doors, and will then do all other parts such as mirrors and door handles etc. I'm so glad I did the turret now, I very nearly didn't!

Meanwhile I've pretty much finalised my parts order that I will post later - it includes two new headlight covers (I spend the weekend cleaning mine up with wet & dry and polishing them and they were 80% better, but ended up deciding to replace. I found new ones from turnermotorsport.com for $200 USD for the pair. I've also got 4 broken adjusters that I'm fixing at the same time.

Cost? Well remember that insurance covered both sides, and I didn't pay to strip the whole car back. The panel shop have also done a stack of extra work for me free of charge - all I have paid to strip was the front guards and bonnet. Having said that, cost is just over $7,000 AUD (including an OEM new front bumper bar as mine was cracked) plus whatever my parts bill ends up - I'll post later. But I was in one of those situations where the sides were being painted anyway and the rest of the car was not perfect, so it was "now or never" to do the whole lot once and for all. Also consider the car's now probably worth $50,000 AUD. I have no intention of selling it, and it's no longer a daily driver.

I figure I'll have forgotten the cost in 12 months - but will now always have a perfect carbonblack M5!

Nick

M5 Painted.jpg

M5 Painted 2.jpg

M5 Painted 3.jpg

M5 Painted 4.jpg

M5 Painted 5.jpg

M5 Painted 6.jpg

M5 Painted 7.jpg

M5 Painted 8.jpg

·
Registered
523 Posts
Seriously, I'd get a proffesional photo shoot lined up for when she's done, looks amazing, can't help notice the other cars the shop are working on..........guess your car was always in safe hands............

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Looks great. Can't wait to see the final product!

cheers

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ive always wondered how they could possibly remember where all the pieces go back.. especially when working with so many cars at once!

21 - 40 of 81 Posts