BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Based on the areas of damage, I believe an SUV hit me. I don't think the impact was very hard but it was enough to crack the bumper, dent and push in the hood, crack the grill and the plastic piece behind the grill under the hood. There doesn't appear to be damage to the frame.

Question: I have a factory alarm. Any idea if this hit would have set off the alarm? Thanks in advance as this will help narrow down when/where it happened. :crying2:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
It would have set off the alarm if it moved the hood enough to trigger the hood sensor, I imagine. Also the movement of the car being hit should have set it off. But one also must consider BMW can adjust the sensitivity so maybe one of your previous owners got pissed when his neighbor's construction kept setting his alarm off...

I do not think there is an alarm sensor in the front bumper or anything. Hood, trunk, doors and the motion sensors are all I am aware of. Then again its 2am christmas eve maybe I dont know what I am talking about! :confused3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.

If the sensor wasn't adjusted by the previous owner, I would guess that the damage to the hood was enough that it would have triggered the alarm. Would you know if the car gives you any type of notification once you unlock or start it - indicating that the alarm was triggered? If so, I don't remember hearing/seeing anything. Also, do you know how long the alarm will sound for once triggered?

I just bought the car, am a newbie to the board, have not yet touched the manual and I am devastated about the damage... hence the reason for my research and postings at 4:30AM EST. :eek:h::santasmile2::crying:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
The lights should blink an extra 1-2 times when you unlock the car, signalling the alarm had gone of. It also might make a different noise when you lock it. I know it SHOULD behave differently after the alarm was set off.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My car alarm went off while I was on a ferry boat. Yes, for sure, if someone hit you hard enough to crack the bumper, the alarm went off. As stated previously, the lights would have blinked a few extra times. Were there any camera's in the area? You may get lucky and find the bast**ds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The lights should blink an extra 1-2 times when you unlock the car, signalling the alarm had gone of. It also might make a different noise when you lock it. I know it SHOULD behave differently after the alarm was set off.
Thanks, great to know to look out for that going forward. If I was aware of hit I would have paid closer attention when disarming the alarm but...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car alarm went off while I was on a ferry boat. Yes, for sure, if someone hit you hard enough to crack the bumper, the alarm went off. As stated previously, the lights would have blinked a few extra times. Were there any camera's in the area? You may get lucky and find the bast**ds.
Thanks, that would be ideal. There were cameras. I went back to the parking lot as soon as the sun came up yesterday morning and noticed one camera that probably isn't functioning and another that would not have covered the area of the parking lot where the hit took place. Checked with local PD who doesn't think there's camera coverage either. The businesses have been closed due to the holiday so won't be able to confirm until tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion, I would LOVE to find bast**d! ouich

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Someone hit my driver side front fender and left a softball-sized dent in it just above the body line/crease while it was parked outside my work. Still not sure how that could have happened, no paint chipped, no scratch, just a dent. Gotta get a PDR guy on it soon, it's bothering me in the worst way. Sounds like yours is a bit worse though, I'm sorry :(

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was hit and run last summer. I was in the apartment upstairs. The hit took out my mirror and did a job on my door. Alarm didn't go off though. No cameras either. Never found the motherf***er. GL

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts