BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im always brining my car to bmw service because something is always broken on it. The biggest thing is the clutch and its beginging to be more of a pain then anything else. They replaced it at 14k miles and now its slipping again 11k miles later. I love the car but its lease is comming to and end. I was thinking of keeping it but now im having second thoughts. Anyone have any sugestions? Or any sugestions on a new car possible the M3 competition as my brother is getting one maybe well get a deal on 2. If anyone has any other suggestions on cars it would be apreciated. Thanks AFR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
phillym5 said:
UUC clutch package. nuff said.
Agreed...... they are awesome cruiser and the clutch will retain a very long service life is driven as an AutoBahn cruiser..... however if driven in a spirited manner as compared to an M3 or ????? then an alternate clutch is just the ticket.....

We offer the UUC clutch for these gals and they work awesome.

Takes care

Shadowman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Sell your car, its not worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,325 Posts
My m5 currently has 115,000kms (70,000 miles) on the original clutch and it seems ok. It does not appreciate upshifting and planting the foot before it has had a chance to bite properly. Other than that it is fine.

A UUC will probably be the best bet if you keep frying clutches in such a short period of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,346 Posts
aaronmiles said:
My m5 currently has 115,000kms (70,000 miles) on the original clutch and it seems ok. It does not appreciate upshifting and planting the foot before it has had a chance to bite properly. Other than that it is fine.

A UUC will probably be the best bet if you keep frying clutches in such a short period of time.

I agree, in my opinion the clutch is good enough. I can't imagine mine to start slipping all of a sudden.

Keep the car, don't sell her :wroom:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
AFRM5,
Believe you stated your lease is coming to an end. If you cannot get a BMW extended warranty then my recommendation would be to turn the M5 in and not to buy it. If you have been having problems in addition to the clutch, then it is not worth it to buy the car without the extended warranty (or CPO it if you can). May not be worth the stress even with the warranty or cpo if you continue to spend a lot of time in the shop.

Depending on your financial situation, the new E60 M5 might be a good option, especially because it has SMG III. Put the money you will spend on the E39 M5 to buy it off lease into the new model. The last of the M3's, perhaps with competition pkge, might also be a good choice if you like the way the M5's and M3's drive/handle. And there is SMG II available to ease the clutch problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
I hear ya bro - my car's engine is in pieces at Leith BMW in Raleigh, NC.

Bearing broke which messed up a rod which messed up the crankshaft which............

Oh screw it. I've about had with this car as well!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
seems our cars can be quite troublesome at times, about a month ago my car was in the shop 4 times just to get cats mafs, and a fuel filter, talk about spending way too much time at the stealership
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,083 Posts
Sorry to hear this guys.

I depend on reliable transportation; certainly my 528 and 530 provided this. I hope the M5 will as well; so far so good, but I am concerned by your experiences at higher mileage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
KevinM said:
Sorry to hear this guys.

I depend on reliable transportation; certainly my 528 and 530 provided this. I hope the M5 will as well; so far so good, but I am concerned by your experiences at higher mileage.
Its been great for 99% of the time, but then all in one months time the car had to go in for the following, engine cooling fan fell off, 1 day, car not running properly diagnosed as bad cats, 1 day, not in stock so had to come back for install, 2 days, SES light and not running right, 1 day, reccomend fuel filter not in stock, fuel filter, 1 day, SES light car still not running right, Diagnosed as MAFS car there 6 days, so in one monthe my car spent 12 days at the Bmw dealership, so that mont it really sucked owning a M5, but other then that month from hell everything has worked well, Josh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
bmwusa said:
car not running properly diagnosed as bad cats, 1 day, not in stock so had to come back for install, 2 days, SES light and not running right, 1 day, reccomend fuel filter not in stock, fuel filter, 1 day, SES light car still not running right, Diagnosed as MAFS car there 6 days, so in one monthe my car spent 12 days at the Bmw dealership, so that mont it really sucked owning a M5, but other then that month from hell everything has worked well, Josh
So in the end it sounds like all which needed to be changed was the MAFS? From other posts, it's alarming how often BMW mis-diagnoses a problem with the MAFS as a problem with something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,958 Posts
Experiences can vary widely with these cars. Some have no problems for years with the miles piling on (>>100,000), while others...

I suspect this is the case with every other sophisticated high performance car, irregardless of manufacturer. Can you imagine the maintenance costs associated with racking up high miles on an exotic? Mercedes has been struggling with all kinds of reliability issues. It may be tempting to think the grass is greener elsewhere, but let's face it, we didn't buy an M5 expecting to see econobox operating and maintenance costs, particularly if it sees hard service. Higher costs go with the territory. :)

Cheers,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
wilsodh said:
Experiences can vary widely with these cars. Some have no problems for years with the miles piling on (>>100,000), while others...

I suspect this is the case with every other sophisticated high performance car, irregardless of manufacturer. Can you imagine the maintenance costs associated with racking up high miles on an exotic? Mercedes has been struggling with all kinds of reliability issues. It may be tempting to think the grass is greener elsewhere, but let's face it, we didn't buy an M5 expecting to see econobox operating and maintenance costs, particularly if it sees hard service. Higher costs go with the territory. :)

Cheers,
I agree that we should some what expect this, however when it happens you are still frustrated with the situation, and time is still time and I hate wasting my time at the end of the day
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top