BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just arrived home tonight and my car decided to die on me. I have no power to the i-drive screen, the door locks don't work and the car won't start. I also have a red icon on the dash telling me to stick it on a ramp as well as a yellow cog showing!

I'll update you tomorrow on what's wrong with it once I have spoken to BMW...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Best of luck, keep us posted, Josh

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
:eek: Hope this is nothing serious. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Sounds like the infamous CIP software faults and/or the failing transmission pump.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Filthy Monkey said:
Just arrived home tonight and my car decided to die on me. I have no power to the i-drive screen, the door locks don't work and the car won't start. I also have a red icon on the dash telling me to stick it on a ramp as well as a yellow cog showing!

I'll update you tomorrow on what's wrong with it once I have spoken to BMW...
Sorry to hear about that, Filthy Monkey. Like the others said, keep us posted. And after the car is fixed, we should arrange to meet up. Good luck with it!

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pud said:
Sorry to hear about that, Filthy Monkey. Like the others said, keep us posted. And after the car is fixed, we should arrange to meet up. Good luck with it!
Will do! Send me a pm with your mobile number so we can keep in touch. I'm taking my M5 back up to Glasgow in a few weeks so we need to meet up before then. On the bright side, I pick up my new M6 at the end of the month so I'll bring that down to London instead...

Update on the problem with the car - I can start it now, but I am still getting various warnings and have no power to most of the onboard functions. I'm going to call BMW assistance when I finish work in the hope that it is just a fuse or something simple, so I'll update again afterwards.

Thanks for your concern, folks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry about your problem.Please advise on the problem,so we can be on the look out.We could be the next victims:crying:

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Filthy Monkey said:
Will do! Send me a pm with your mobile number so we can keep in touch. I'm taking my M5 back up to Glasgow in a few weeks so we need to meet up before then. On the bright side, I pick up my new M6 at the end of the month so I'll bring that down to London instead...

Update on the problem with the car - I can start it now, but I am still getting various warnings and have no power to most of the onboard functions. I'm going to call BMW assistance when I finish work in the hope that it is just a fuse or something simple, so I'll update again afterwards.

Thanks for your concern, folks!
Well, things got worse tonight... I finally arranged with BMW Assistance to have a technician come to check out the problem. He was due to meet me at home at 5.20, so I got a taxi from work to make sure I was back on time and when I got here... No technician! It turns out he was 40 miles away on the other side of London. He blamed it on the sat nav - in his BMW!!!

I had arranged to meet member Scorpio and his brother, over from the US so I could take them for their first M5 experience... At this point I could still drive the car, even though a lot of the functionality was missing, including M mode, so I drove towards the train station to pick them up. I stopped off at a car wash on the way so they would see it looking its best, but when I went to start the car again after the wash it wouldn't go! All sorts of strange things were happening including the controls for the electric seats getting mixed up - The controls on the drivers seat moved the passenger seat, and vice-versa. Weird!!

At this point I was still waiting on BMW sending out somebody out... Anyway, I met up with the guys and took them down to see my (now immobilised!) car. Finally I got a call from BMW telling me that a technician was just around the corner. Now, being an M5, the most technologically advanced car on the planet, you would assume that they would send, as requested, a BMW trained technician with full diagnostics kit. Nope! They sent Joe Bloggs. With his breakdown truck!!!! grrrrrrr Oh, how we laughed as he stood pressing the button on the key trying to make it work...

Despite reservations about ground clearence, he finally decided to tow the car back to my flat. In fairness to the mechanic, he agreed that he should never have been sent out and was very apologetic. When we got back to my flat he unhooked it from the breakdown truck and helped push it into position at the side of the road as I couldn't get it into my underground parking space. BMW had agreed to send out a proper technican at 8am so I needed to make sure it was accessible. As he was leaving the mechanic joked that, after all this hassle, it would probably start if I put the key in now. And do you know what? He was absolutely right!! All of a sudden everything was working again, as if there had been nothing wrong with it...!!! :confused2

I'm going to go take it for a spin just now to make sure it is still okay, but all going well Scorpio and his brother will be scared sh*tless tomorrow morning :1:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
:7: It just like a computer :confused2 Great of you to meet up fellow m5board.com Members!

Filthy Monkey said:
As he was leaving the mechanic joked that, after all this hassle, it would probably start if I put the key in now. And do you know what? He was absolutely right!! All of a sudden everything was working again, as if there had been nothing wrong with it...!!! :confused2

·
Registered
992 Posts
Oh well! Unfortunately we had a late night out in London and wasn't able to meet up with Filthy Monkey! :cheers:

But I did get to see the car (gorgeous) and got to see the hazards working ;)

Very bummed that we weren't able to get our hungover butts out of bed in time to meet up with Filthy Monkey this morning, but it is a great looking car and I can't wait to get mine.

We were able to take some snaps of the whole event but I can't post them until I get back to the States - I have to admit that FM handled it very well and the bloke that came out was very apologetic and knew that he wasn't the right person, but they have to send Joe Bloggs out first before they can get the right person on the job.

The car is very "muscular" in it's stance and very nice on the inside...looking at the tires, FM has been having a lot of fun with the car! :wroom:

Anyways, I feel lucky just to have been able to meet up with someone from the board - I told my friends about it at dinner and they were astonished - so basically, you posted on a board for about a year and then asked someone for a ride in there car ouich ...they were amazed.

I feel blessed by such a community!

Thanks FM - it was great meeting you and best of luck on the M6 - keep us posted on the final resolution on the M5.....

Cheers!

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Guys, it was really great to meet you. I'm just so annoyed that, the only day in 3 months of owning the car that I couldn't drive is the day you came over. Not to worry, you'll just have to take my word on how good it is until the day you stop salivating and your car arrives!! :1:

On the plus side, the BMW technician turned up at 7.30 this morning and had a look at the car. He said that whatever the fault was last night, it would probably have been solved by a software reboot so if the right person had been sent to do the job then things would have turned out rather differently...

I took it for a spin to Southend (South East coast of England) to sort out the paperwork on a new car for my Dad this morning and, being rather pushed for time as I had a flight back to Glasgow at lunchtime, drove somewhat spiritedly... I had been advised by the dealer that it would take me about an hour to get from my house to their premises, but (and I hope no traffic police are reading this!!) I managed to get it down to 23 minutes. Let's just say the car is no stranger to the speed limiter... :wroom:

The more I drive my car, the more impressed I am with it. Even last night's farce hasn't put me off it... I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he has confirmed that my M6 is now in production so I am hoping to have it in about 2-3 weeks. Expect a comparison between the two sometime soon! :M5launch:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts