BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After what seems like an age my car is back from the paintshop :biggrinbounce:
It looks great, just a few new trims to fit now and sort out the air-con. Then its going to the trimmers for some leather repairs etc.
I'll post some more pictures when its all done.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Dan,

Looks great - you'll have to pop over and bring it along once it's done - I'm local to you it seems.

How did they get such an even finish with the Aerosol can ? :cheers:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Great job because that is a very difficult colour to match.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Darren, yes it is a full repaint.
As I would have had to paint about a third of the car anyway after my unfortunate encounter with a post I decided to paint the whole car. It looks fantastic.
With the wheels refurbished and the interior sorted it should look like a new car - hopefully good for another 18 years.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jon, I'm getting the car back tommorow :)
Apart from the initial horror of the accident I'm glad it spurred me on to get all the work done I wanted.
On top of the respray I've replaced the windscreen, wiper mechanism arms and blades, fitted new washer jets, replaced all the exterior trims and door seals, refurbished the wheels and converted the air-con to R134a.
I'm very happy with the results although my wallet has taken a serious beating. If my other half ever finds the bill I'm a dead man.
I'll post some more pictures later on this week.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Dan,

I take it you are happy enough with your paint to recommend Robin to other board members? If so what his details?

I know that Peter Pan is looking for a good paint shop to do a full respray on his avus 5 sp.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dan,

I take it you are happy enough with your paint to recommend Robin to other board members? If so what his details?

I know that Peter Pan is looking for a good paint shop to do a full respray on his avus 5 sp.
Hi Jon,
I had all the work done through Autobahn Services in Rickmansworth http://www.autobahnservices.co.uk/
I am very happy with it, it looks pretty much as new to me, to be super critical there are a couple of tiny (and i mean tiny) imperfections. Why dont you drop by and have a look at it?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
The guys who seem to get most of the coverage for BMW's here in the SE are Townley (based in Dartford) on 01322 291020. Don't know them myself but have seen a stunning car they repainted. There are also some top classic car people in Beds and Bucks who do amazing work. Gary @ Autobahn I do know and am sure he will only use decent third party labour.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Your car looks great Dan ......

Have you decided what you are going to do in order to keep her that way ?

Have you considered the 3M armour fend type clear plastic protection ?

D

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi David,
I think I'm going to just try to keep it clean, waxed and garaged.
The inevitable stone chip is going to happen sometime or another unless I park it in my front room and just look at it.
I havent seen the 3M shields on a car - aren't they just clear plastic film stuck over the paint?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
VENTURESHIELD (3M) is a great product for new paint. Yes it is a film that is applied to the most vunerable parts of a car, but unlike old films this does not yellow over time, is virtually invisible and has a near indestructible tension to stop most stone chips and marks. It is not over expensive...hundreds not thousands of pounds and will keep the car looking wonderful across the front, the mirrors and lower door panels.

Reactions: davidoli
1 - 19 of 19 Posts