BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was having issues with the car not turning over at startup.It might on the first,it might on the second try and it may take as many as 6 key-off key-on to get it to turn over.When it would it would start immediately.Everytime it would act up and the stealer couldn't see it for a few days so I thought that since it would still start I'd book it in and take it in when thay could see it because a loaner was "out of the question for 4 weeks"

Well at the golf course today after playing it would not start regardless of whatever I tried.Called roadside and had to get a ride home then return when they showed to open the car and load onto a flatdeck.

No I'm without wheels for who knows how long.

I'm pissed...everyone at the golf course watching my expensive BMW being hauled away...

Could it be a clutch or lockout switch of some type ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
GregC said:
I was having issues with the car not turning over at startup.It might on the first,it might on the second try and it may take as many as 6 key-off key-on to get it to turn over.When it would it would start immediately.Everytime it would act up and the stealer couldn't see it for a few days so I thought that since it would still start I'd book it in and take it in when thay could see it because a loaner was "out of the question for 4 weeks"

Well at the golf course today after playing it would not start regardless of whatever I tried.Called roadside and had to get a ride home then return when they showed to open the car and load onto a flatdeck.

No I'm without wheels for who knows how long.

I'm pissed...everyone at the golf course watching my expensive BMW being hauled away...

Could it be a clutch or lockout switch of some type ?
I think the clutch lockout switch could easily be the culpret. I'm sure the dealer will find the solution and get you back in your ride very soon.

I do have to admit that I'd feel similar embarassment about having the car towed. But, things happen...

Good luck

--Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my other cars due to a bad starter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,158 Posts
I had the same problem a while back. It turned out to be a very simple issue.


...are you ready?


Try using the spare key :)


It took several trips to the dealer before they figured out the key (coded driveaway) was defective.

Let us know how you make out. :byee55amg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Greg,

I had a similar problem with one of my 740's, and as blue max just indicated, it ended up being my key. Sure caused some grief at my dealership. :confused2 :eek: :grrrrr:

Regards,
T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Terk said:
Greg,

I had a similar problem with one of my 740's, and as blue max just indicated, it ended up being my key. Sure caused some grief at my dealership. :confused2 :eek: :grrrrr:

Regards,
T.
Thanks guys..If the dealer doesn't pick up on it I'll show them what you taught me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
If they total it, I got dibs on the birch trim :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
451 Posts
Look on the bright side- when was the last time you were golfing in Edmonton in April ( outside of the occasional Chinook blast)??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
El -Mono...Hah...ok :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
PCUT said:
Look on the bright side- when was the last time you were golfing in Edmonton in April ( outside of the occasional Chinook blast)??
You/re absolutely correct..weather is fantastic !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok..here's the lowdown,

BlueMax and Terk..You boys got it right...Bad key...but on your advice I brought in my never used spare key otherwise I doubt the dealer would have called it...

Check engine light was low voltage so I think the battery was/is also pooched.I'll pick the car up tomorrow..another note..the dealer also decided to take the opportunity to change the oil and brake fluid stating a service was overdue. Better not be any charges for these.....

Will advise
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Greg,

Glad to hear it was nothing serious. It's also a good idea to use the spare key periodically to keep it charged.

Regards,
T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Terk said:
Greg,

Glad to hear it was nothing serious. It's also a good idea to use the spare key periodically to keep it charged.

Regards,
T.
Good point..I don't think it's ever been in the car except for initializing it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Good point about the keys. The ignition switch actually charges the battery in the key while its running so you should use your spare key periodically to keep it charged up. I've also had to clean keys because they won't start the car. A little very fine steel wool does the trick.

Joe
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,376 Posts
Re: My car finally died today, Ignition Switch or Spare Key

Hello folks. It appears that I am experiencing the same problem you folks had. FYI, two weeks ago, I purchased a 2001 M5. Great car, my dream car. However, lately, I am having problems starting the car. It takes about 4 tries. I try opening & closing the door, pressing & letting go of the clutch a few times (to get it to reset), moving the stick shift to 1st gear and neutral back and forth, etc. and it would finally start after the 4th try.

Can you folks kindly tell me what you found to fix the problem?
Did you have to replace the remote key battery? (I dont have a spare key). The previous owner only had one key to the car. The rest of the keys was lost/misplaced.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.:wroom:

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
GregC said:
You/re absolutely correct..weather is fantastic !!
Now its October and I bet the weather is STILL fantastic - what a strange year!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Terk said:
Greg,

I had a similar problem with one of my 740's, and as blue max just indicated, it ended up being my key. Sure caused some grief at my dealership. :confused2 :eek: :grrrrr:

Regards,
T.
Same problem with our '01 530i, bad key!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Re: My car finally died today, Ignition Switch or Spare Key

whatheheck said:
Can you folks kindly tell me what you found to fix the problem?
Did you have to replace the remote key battery? (I dont have a spare key). The previous owner only had one key to the car. The rest of the keys was lost/misplaced.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.:wroom:

Dan
Dan:

I do not think the key has a battery. It "charges" each time it it in the car--probably a capacitor.

You have 1 choice if it is the key. See the dealer. Bring lots of proof this is your car, and it is actually you. DNA, dental records etc. Well in NY they want serious proof you own the car.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
8,376 Posts
Re: My car finally died today, Ignition Switch or Spare Key

Thanks for the info Joe.

But how do I know if it is the key? And what could be going bad with the key? The internal electronics?

Dan


jjc1843 said:
Dan:

I do not think the key has a battery. It "charges" each time it it in the car--probably a capacitor.

You have 1 choice if it is the key. See the dealer. Bring lots of proof this is your car, and it is actually you. DNA, dental records etc. Well in NY they want serious proof you own the car.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top