BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Burton,

Brake calipers on racecars get cleaned and rebuilt several times a year, because brake dust, disc scrapings and general grime will get between the caliper-body and the piston. Since the piston moves in and out this grime will eventually ruin the seals and the caliper will leak. If left untouched long enough the grime will scratch the piston and render it useless. That's why street calipers have dust-boots on the outside of the body, attached to a piece of piston that sticks out, so keeping all grime awy from the piston and it's bore. Even AP makes an e46 6-pot street kit with dust boots, for that exact reason. It's fine to use the race-calipers on a street car, you just have to clean and reseal them regularly.

Best Regards,

Steve

BURTON said:
These are a racing kit. How do you mean dust covers?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I asked them that also and even in manual from AP they state to go that way Its so that the discs cut better with the pad.

·
Registered
868 Posts
BURTON said:
I asked them that also and even in manual from AP they state to go that way Its so that the discs cut better with the pad.

Yes that is the correct way round. I have discs that are drilled and slotted on my track car and they are brilliant. Just wish you could get them for the M5.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
BURTON said:
These are a racing kit. How do you mean dust covers?
Hi Burton
Very nice setup you have there.
I hope you have lots of fun with it.

Those comments already made about using calipers without dust seals for road use are spot on.(Unfortunately)
They get fouled up pretty quick. Sticking pistons & consequent reduction in braking performance follow not to mention warped discs if preventative maintenance is not done regularly.
I had an AP setup on my Skyline which I got a huge discount on as they supplied the company I worked for.They did not have seals & I was stripping the calipers 3 times a year which is a shi**y job after a bad winter.

I was prepared to put with it for the performance...oh, the 35% discount helped as well.

Good luck.

Farrell

·
Registered
687 Posts
Can you share some info on this kit?
Diameter front/rear, disc width front/rear?

What are you going to do with your old discs?
(im looking for a set of worn-out rears).

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Not wise to mention it now, I threw away my old (but still in spec.) vented rear discs about a week ago......

Donati said:
Can you share some info on this kit?
Diameter front/rear, disc width front/rear?

What are you going to do with your old discs?
(im looking for a set of worn-out rears).

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many Thanks for the replies everyone.

Ok I have only gone with fronts for now and see how things are after the track day on the 25th. The discs are 343mm and as you can see quite thick compare to a 2 pound coin. The Calipers are 6 pots and these work very well.

They are alot lighter than the standard units. I think and this is just what I think that a car like this, when driven to the max needs a setup like this. My old setup was abit hairy sometimes. Also having the non floating discs setup, I thought that this setup was a good value for the price of going to floating. So now my mind under braking at ease.

With the tyre pressures also set correctly now Iam truely loving this car even more!!

Heres to the E35 M5!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts