BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a dead stop, traffic light or whatever, not gunning it, when first gear engages there is a loud whack from the back and the car shudders. Doesn't happen all the time but often enough to bother me. First time it happened it scared the s***t out of me. I thought I got rear ended. I literally looked in my rear view expecting to see a Denali or something that size with steam coming out of it's smashed hood on my rear bumper. It's not always that severe. Most of the time it's much more mild but still unnerving. Complained to my dealer twice and twice they "reprogrammed" my SMG (whatever that means) and it got a little better but not gone. I was also told this is not an unusual condition for SMG M5's so I thought I'd check with the most reliable source, The Board.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
When stationary and in gear, DO NOT take your foot off the brakes!

Reactions: 06ggm5

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am actually stunned to find how prevalent this problem is and how many of us are living with it. Five years of E60 M5 production and BMW cant find a fix that works? I appreciate all the suggestions and its great to have the M5 Board to turn to but honestly, some of the posts on this clunk/bang issue make me think I'm on an Alfa board in the early 80's. Not cool BMW! Ive been driving BMW's since '92 and have encountered only one issue which really tested my loyalty to the Roundel: E46 M3 Nav issues. I won't go in to details buy I'll just say that BMW was still working on it after the warranty was up. To their credit, it was ultimately fixed. But this clunk/bang thing is rediculouse. Every time it happens I want to get out and give the car a hug and tell her everything will be alright. Not to mention that if there are passengers in the car I run the risk of claims to my insurance for whiplash related injuries. I knew the SMG wasn't the best work BMW has done before I got the car but this is nuts! Make it right, BMW.

P.S. I've come across this term; "PUMA tech". What is it?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am actually stunned to find how prevalent this problem is and how many of us are living with it. Five years of E60 M5 production and BMW cant find a fix that works? I appreciate all the suggestions and its great to have the M5 Board to turn to but honestly, some of the posts on this clunk/bang issue make me think I'm on an Alfa board in the early 80's. Not cool BMW! Ive been driving BMW's since '92 and have encountered only one issue which really tested my loyalty to the Roundel: E46 M3 Nav issues. I won't go in to details buy I'll just say that BMW was still working on it after the warranty was up. To their credit, it was ultimately fixed. But this clunk/bang thing is rediculouse. Every time it happens I want to get out and give the car a hug and tell her everything will be alright. Not to mention that if there are passengers in the car I run the risk of claims to my insurance for whiplash related injuries. I knew the SMG wasn't the best work BMW has done before I got the car but this is nuts! Make it right, BMW.

P.S. I've come across this term; "PUMA tech". What is it?
Wow, calm down. The solution is pretty simple, just make sure you keep your foot on the brake when the car is stopped and in gear. It's not so hard to get used to, just imagine you're driving an automatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts