BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I go down to my dealer yesterday to pick up an X5 I had worked out over the phone. This little silverstone beauty is sitting there looking terrific. While I'm waiting for the paperwork to be done (why does it take half a day??) my salesman gives me the keys to an M3 demo. Next thing you know I'm explaning to my wife why I need an M6 and an M3.
Since I only have a total of 7 miles on it (plus the demo car) I only have a few initial thoughts in no particular order:

1) I forgot how much fun it is to drive a manual;
2) Shifting as fast as I can, I'm no where near S5 or S6 on the M6;
3) The M3 feels more "tossable". Kind of like a new puppy- always wants to play;
4) I keep finding myself looking for a displayed number (windshield, dash, anywhere) telling me what gear I'm in;
5) More room in the back of the M3;
6) Dang, another stupid break-in period.

As I get more miles on her I'll post a more elaborate comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice cars and nice pad. Let us know how the new SMG on the M3 feels. :1:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Congrats!

That is a great line up of cars! Did you go through with the X5 as well?

My impressions on the E92 were the same in regard to its “tossability.” It feels a lot like the E39 M5. Love the throttle response, and sound of new M3.

Enjoy the new toy(s)!

-Audio

·
Registered
192 Posts
congrats!! nice cars... did you get a good deal on an M3??

·
Registered
330 Posts
Congrats they look beautiful together...good choice...but did you nix the X5 deal completely?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats they look beautiful together...good choice...but did you nix the X5 deal completely?
Oh, I still got the X5. That would not have set well with the significant other. V8 of course!

I just couldn't bring myself to trade in the M6. I really like the car.

Speaking of V8, you can definitely tell there are 8 cylinders attached to the other end of the M3's tail pipes. Has a great soundtrack.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Awesome! Car looks like fun, I rode in a new 3 series for the first time yesterday. As soon as I got in the front seat I looked in the back and said "hey this car has way more room in the back than mine!"

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Excellent taste!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Congrats -- you must have made you salesman's MONTH! Great taste. Were you able to get the M3 at sticker, or did you have to pay over...?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice cars and nice pad. Let us know how the new SMG on the M3 feels. :1:
All the new M3's are coming with manuals. I have about 45 miles on the car and I have a sneaky feeling this clutch is going to get a workout. :7:

congrats!! nice cars... did you get a good deal on an M3??
A couple of questions on price. I paid MSRP - $67,800.

Nice cars ! Just wondering if its possible to order a US spec BMW with the speedo in KM/H ?
Not sure about ordering these out of the US, but the US car comes in both mph and kph.

Looking good....I have the same garage doors...what part of Atl you at?
The garage doors are kind of cool. When closed, they look like a pair of double leaf doors like you would maybe see on a large barn. I live on the northside.

Of your initial thoughts I loved #3.

"..... kind of like a new puppy-always wants to play "

Smooth, I'll have to remember that one for future use.
Guess you could interpret that a couple of ways!:7:

nice little beasty! Does the bulge on the hood interfere with road in front of you?
That bulge is fairly large and definitely noticable. Gives the car a distinct and aggressive look. You notice it when you drive but I wouldn't say it interfers.

Congrats -- you must have made you salesman's MONTH! Great taste. Were you able to get the M3 at sticker, or did you have to pay over...?
Yeah, he was happy. While I was in the dealership, there were lots of people coming in to specifically see the car, take pictures, etc. It really got a lot of attention.

BTW, I got my first "challenge" yesterday from a Maserati Gran Sport. That didn't take long. Not really into street racing particularly in a car with 18 miles on it. Also, while at a traffic light guy next to me in a minivan just couldn't stop starring. Guess he was hating his ride.

I also have learned that if you are going to have one of those .5 liter water bottles in the cup holder make dang sure the lid is screwed on tight because that thing will flop around like crazy.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
1) I forgot how much fun it is to drive a manual;
2) Shifting as fast as I can, I'm no where near S5 or S6 on the M6;
3) The M3 feels more "tossable". Kind of like a new puppy- always wants to play;
4) I keep finding myself looking for a displayed number (windshield, dash, anywhere) telling me what gear I'm in;
5) More room in the back of the M3;
6) Dang, another stupid break-in period.

As I get more miles on her I'll post a more elaborate comparison.
7) After 100 mph....keep wanting to shift into 7th

1 - 20 of 24 Posts