BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My usual disclaimer:

I am posting this for sharing. In case you want to do this mod too, here's info you'll need to make it easier for you.

I am not seeking for comments or asking for your approval.
I do these things to my car because I can and because I want to.
If you dont like it, that's OK, but please keep criticisms to yourself.

Now that we got that out of the way, here you go:

<LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDan%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml" rel=File-List><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDan%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_themedata.thmx" rel=themeData><LINK href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDan%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_colorschememapping.xml" rel=colorSchemeMapping><STYLE> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Arial","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} a:link, span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-unhide:no; color:blue; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; mso-themecolor:followedhyperlink; text-decoration:underline; text-underline:single;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:2904473; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:-2006262658 -1119580536 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715 67698703 67698713 67698715;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-text:"%1\)"; mso-level-tab-stop:.5in; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-.25in; mso-ansi-font-size:12.0pt; color:windowtext; mso-ansi-font-weight:normal;} ol {margin-bottom:0in;} ul {margin-bottom:0in;} --> </STYLE>Back up camera installation for E63 M6.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
Here you go for sharing:
<o:p></o:p>
First and foremost – disconnect battery power.

1)I used Alpine HCE-C105 Rear View Camera System.
Excellent picture quality both day and night.
You can find these at Amazon for a good price, click here, or check good old eBay.<o:p></o:p>

2) I ran the cable right beside the back up lights. See photo.
Then ran through cable run behind back seat, through the door sills, to the center console where my Video Interface Module is located.<o:p></o:p>

3)I mounted the video power unit on the left side of the trunk. See photo.<o:p></o:p>

4) You will need a video interface module to feed the rear view camera video output.
I used a multi media interface module I purchased from eBay.
I suggest you spend the additional $100.00 and buy a plug and play kit. We have a M5board sponsor ModmyNav that has a plug and play kit.<o:p></o:p>

5) On my non plug and play kit video module, I had to run a power wire from the back up lights to power the rear view camera.
I understand the plug and play kit from modmynav automatically senses the back up command from CAN BUS so this is better as you wont have to run a power wire from the reverse lights.
If you do have to run a power wire from the reverse lights like I did. The connector you want is X14256, pin 1 (+12V).
See attached PDC upgrade pdf file, page 18 for location of this connector.<o:p></o:p>

6) Once you’ve made your connections, reconnect battery, put your car in reverse and test the system.
If you have video present on your screen, then your connections are correct.
Aim camera for best viewing angle when backing the car up.<o:p></o:p>

7) Once you’re all done – enjoy your work!

See attached photos and video.

YouTube - 2006 BMW M6 Back Up Camera mod

Dan L.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Good , i have some idiot questions Dan :
1. How's the quality ?
2. Does it work only when Reverse ?
3. Does it work with the Idrive and how ?

Thank you and have a nice day .

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great questions Abdullah.

Here you go:

1. How's the quality?

Video quality of the Alpine back up camera is awesome. Both daytime and night time picture quality is great, almost HD quality.

For now, the back up camera only works when you put the gear in reverse as it is powered by the back up lights.

In order for a back up camera system to display on your iDrive monitor, you will need to install a video input module.
Contact ModmyNav, they are a board sponsor here and they sell a plug and play video input module.

FYI, my next mod is to install a power switch to the back up camera so that I can leave the power on when I want to and see the rear view of my car on the iDrive monitor when I am driving. I think that would be cool.

I hope to do this sometime this month.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I love all the mods that you are doing and especially when you do the "How-To" to go along with them. They have made my modding so much easier. Thanks.

Alright................back to work

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey Dan!

I agree with our fellow board members - thank you much for taking the time to document your work, and share the pics with us. I may be doing this mod myself soon... I've already got a rear view camera (Kenwood CCD-2000) that I bought for my G35 - but never put it in, so I would just need to get the VIM kit! When you have a moment, can you please take a pic or two of the Alpine camera from a few feet away looking down (~45 degrees or so) and straight on? Your camera looks remarkably similar to mine, so I am trying to gauge approximately how much it sits over the top of the license plate, and how visible/noticeable it is.

Thanks again!
Brian

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Great questions Abdullah.

Here you go:

1. How's the quality?

Video quality of the Alpine back up camera is awesome. Both daytime and night time picture quality is great, almost HD quality.

For now, the back up camera only works when you put the gear in reverse as it is powered by the back up lights.

In order for a back up camera system to display on your iDrive monitor, you will need to install a video input module.
Contact ModmyNav, they are a board sponsor here and they sell a plug and play video input module.

FYI, my next mod is to install a power switch to the back up camera so that I can leave the power on when I want to and see the rear view of my car on the iDrive monitor when I am driving. I think that would be cool.

Thank you for helping us in this useful threads that you post Dan keep up the good work my friend :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts

WARNING - Police cars are closer than they appear!

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Brian, thanks for the kind compliments.

I'm happy to hear that my DIY posts have helped you and others. Feedback is always appreciated.

Per your request, see photos below.

Note: If you want a more stealth look, you can simply mount the camera a little more forward towards front of the vehicle

Hey Dan!

I agree with our fellow board members - thank you much for taking the time to document your work, and share the pics with us. I may be doing this mod myself soon... I've already got a rear view camera (Kenwood CCD-2000) that I bought for my G35 - but never put it in, so I would just need to get the VIM kit! When you have a moment, can you please take a pic or two of the Alpine camera from a few feet away looking down (~45 degrees or so) and straight on? Your camera looks remarkably similar to mine, so I am trying to gauge approximately how much it sits over the top of the license plate, and how visible/noticeable it is.

Thanks again!
Brian

Attachments

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's an install tip:

1) It is much easier to install the camera mount and laser jammer heads properly by using industrial grade weather resistant double back tape.

Apply the tape to the mounting bracket. Then very lightly push the mounting bracket towards your choice location for the camera mounting bracket.

If the camera is off center, or crooked, or you want to move the bracket more forward or more towards the left or right side of the bumper - simply remove the bracket and reposition.

Once you are satisfied with the camera position, push the bracket hard towards the bumper to make the tape adhere to both the bumper & the camera bracket. Then install your screws.

This method prevents multiple holes drilled thru the bumper due to positioning trial and error.
This method also allows you to stick the camera first to the bumper, take a back step and look to see if camera is centered.

Again, once satisfied with the location of camera, then drill the pilot holes and permanently attached the bracket using the supplied camera screws.

The double back tape not only helps during bracket installation but also prevents the bracket from rattling.

Another note: DO NOT overtighten the screws. The bumper is plastic / made of composite material and not metal so overtightening the screws will just strip the thread and screws will continue to just rotate.

The tap will hold the bracket in place and the screw prevents the tape from coming off.

Hope that helps.

See tape I used below. I ordered mine from Amazon.

Attachments

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Subject: Video noise.

Just for sharing in case you come across the same problem I did.

My back up camera video would display static noise and hum bars once in a while on the LCD Nav screen.
Most likely due to ground loops.

I tried fixing the ground loop issue but it is too dang difficult.
Many ground points used on BMW wiring.

1st fix was installation of ferrite core, see here:
That reduced the video noise but the hum bars were still there.

2nd fix is the same we use here at Boeing (as a last resort) to eliminate video noise, an easy fix.
An installation of Video Isolation Transformer.

Result:
Back up camera video output is now clean as a whistle!
Super clean video.

Issue solved!

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not smart, just lucky I guess!

Let me know if you need help hardwiring your radar detector and I will help you. This is very easy to do.

Thanks for the kind words.

Wow, you are so much smarter than me when it comes to these cars and wiring and mods...etc. lol I can't even wire my Radar Detector, much less something like this haha. Fantastic job!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Question

I'm in the process of doing this Mod on my 2006 M6. I'm using the Alpine HCE-C105 with the Alpine KTX-C10LP accessory license plate/camera mount.

For now I have the camera video feed tucked up into my bumper (the same way you ran your wiring - behind the license plate illlumination light) but I'm not sure how to run the wiring from there back to the left corner of the trunk! lol.

I have my trunk disassembled at the moment and I'm poking around seeing what I can see - trying to get the wire through any way I can.
am I going to have to take off my bumper for this?

·
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm still in meetings here at work (multi tasking).

I will eMail you the info you need tonight when I get home.

1. For now:
  2. No need to remove rear bumper.
  3. Feed the wire up and above the rear bumper frame and let the cables drop to the ground.
  4. Protect laser jammer or back up camera wires with split tubing.
  5. Run the wires to the left of the bumper up and above the left most rear frame.
  6. There is a rubber seal where the parking sensor wiring goes through from the bumper.
  7. This is where you want to feed your wires through.
  8. Pull the rubber seal, enlarge the hole, feed the back up camera wires through the rubber seal.
  9. Reinsert rubber seal to the frame,
  10. To make reinsertion of rubber seal easy - apply hand soap to the rubber seal surround.
I will eMail you photos tonight when I get home.

If you're stuck, you may call me at 425-280-7399.
Tonight is my wife's bday so we will be out to dinner.
But leave me a message and I will call you back.

The power to your back up camera will be tapped from back up light.
See attachment on post number 1. The wires and connector is highlighted in yellow.

The power to your license plate frame light will be tapped from BMW license plate lights.
Use good butt splice like AMP 320559 splice.
DO NOT Use tap splice. THose are crappy and will actually cut the wires during crimping process.

MOre tonight.

I'm in the process of doing this Mod on my 2006 M6. I'm using the Alpine HCE-C105 with the Alpine KTX-C10LP accessory license plate/camera mount.

For now I have the camera video feed tucked up into my bumper (the same way you ran your wiring - behind the license plate illlumination light) but I'm not sure how to run the wiring from there back to the left corner of the trunk! lol.

I have my trunk disassembled at the moment and I'm poking around seeing what I can see - trying to get the wire through any way I can.
am I going to have to take off my bumper for this?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts