BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regulars to the board will recall that way back in June or so, I complained of a "whine" sound coming from somewhere in the drivetrain. Took it to the dealer, and they didn't fix it. Said to drive it. Not hurting anything. Well, it didn't fix itself, so I took the service manager out for a drive, and he heard the sound, and agreed it was probably the differential. Made the service appointment for TWO WEEKS after that. They got my car. Someone from BMWNA came up, heard the sound, and THEN they ordered the differential. Week and a half goes by. Diff arrives damaged in transit from Germany. Order another, and now another week and a half later, the new differential is in. I can hear the exhaust note, rather than the whine, and the M5 is back to normal. The "whine" sound could be heard under light acceleration. IE get up to ~80 in 6th. Let off throttle, and just tip it in again. It did it in all gears, but was most audible in 5th or 6th. Thanks to Wagner BMW in Boylston, MA for getting it right.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Couple notes about Wagner... now... this is to no offense to them. But it's some stuff I find interesting.

1) One of the guys that works at wagner has a Titan Silver 528i with the m5 body kit and rims...

2) That same guy drove my friends m5 at Limerock, and boiled up the brake fluid (i doubt it, but its what i heard).

-matt

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, but where do you mean when you speak of the drivetrain? I too, hear the whine noise with slight gas at hgihiway speeds in higher gears (all gears, actually). I assumed it was part of the car.

so should i actually get the new differential? is this going to be a big problem? just not sure if i want the car back in the shop for another 2 weeks.

--Dan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts