BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Two things I thought I'd never see.

(1) Car and Driver just did an eight-sedan comparo, and the E50 530i came in sixth, only ahead of a Jag and a Caddy. I don't EVER remember the E39 5 series NOT winning a comparo, in almost any magazine. :crying: :crying: Here's the entire article. Read it and weep.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=9391&page_number=1

(2) I thought the Pontiac Solstice actually looked 'good'. As far as I can remember, I have always regarded the Pontiac as the doormat of automotive visual design. (think Aztek, Grand Am, Yucccck.) Now I see the Solstice, and I see the new BMW 7 series, the E60 5 series, and I'm saying (actually admitting it) that the Solstice looks good. (it may still be a crappy car mechanically) The BMWs are YUCCCCCK. :mad: :mad:

http://www.pontiac.com/apprentice/?cmp=appolaovwm&pl_code=MGMC9QNC3932P473522B473521S0
What have my world come to in terms of cars? :confused: :confused:

CP

·
Registered
857 Posts
BMW seems to be slowly falling apart in terms of design. It's really a crappy situation. But I have to admit, the 6 series in black looks stunning, and maybe the new 3 series will give us something to look forward to. But, up until now, I haven't been truly excited about what BMW has to offer and will have to offer

·
Registered
487 Posts
The E39 was/is perfect. Why not drop the V10 in that. Heck with the whole change the body style every few years. Especially if you are changing to the E60, what a terd.

grrrrrrr

B

·
0 Posts
Just buy a 2003 M5 (e39), and all will be well. Try to resist the urge to buy something different. You know inside that this is the most logical purchase from a safety, depreciation and driving enjoyment perspective.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Not a very fair comparison imo. They should have pitched the 545 against that bunch, and not the 530.

I've also heard some rumors that there will be, or is, an update to the SMG software. If that was for the e60 i'm not sure about.

Haven't tried the e60 yet, but from what I hear from those who has driven it, it's far from that bad.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Right on about the (mis)direction BMW is headed, and specifically the 5 series. I was actually considering replacing my M5 with a 530xi. But only briefly. It's overpriced at $69,000 properly equipped, and has no power! Now why didn't BMW "xi" the 545???? It's a sad situation, indeed.

Regarding styling, if a car isn't love at first sight, then you're just kidding yourself when you think "I've warmed up to the new styling". It's a matter of sensory acclimation. Like a dead skunk. After a while, you hardly even notice that it stinks. zzzzz

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Now why didn't BMW "xi" the 545???? zzzzz
My guess is that BMW does not have a compact, heavy duty transfer case and fwd unit capable of harnessing the V8 power.

They have light duty AWD units for the 6 cylinder and big SUV units that only fit under the X5. Maybe there's insufficient demand for a V8 5/7er AWD unit. If so, newer Mercedes AWD V8 sedan sales may change their mood soon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not that surprising given that it's over priced and under powered relative to most of the other cars in the comparison.

Winding Road (issue 1), on the other hand, ranked the 545i and 530i first and third respectively in a 9 car comparison, although the test was before the release of the Lexus and Infiniti. That comparison is worth a read regardless for the side bar entitled "Just How Good Was the M5?".

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree! I try so hard to like the 5 but it just is not happening.
I do think the 6 looks great. Though the styling looks familiar hmmm

Stole this idea from an episode of fifthgear.

If/When the M6 gets a manual that will be my ticket!
For now I bought a 03' M5. I feel this speaks volumes about where BMW is today in NA. IMHO they simply have nothing that is compelling.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Trans lux,

Great photo-shop work. If the 6s actually look like that in the back, I'd have considered. Unfortunately, the butt is a ton more ugly than your image above.

I have two friends that had bought the new 6. One a cab, and the other a coupe. Both have owned many BMWs and Porsches before, and both complained bitterly about the SMG in their cars. If the one in the M5 is not vastly improved, we're in real trouble.

Back to the new BMWs, we need a great plastic surgeon specializing in waist-line and butt reductions. :(

Nobody else likes the look of the Solstise?

CP

·
10,455 Posts
chunpng said:
Nobody else likes the look of the Solstise?

CP
I do! I think it's a good looking car. I do have a soft spot for pontiac down deep, my first car was a 67 pontiac gto (the brochures and ads for 1967 called it "the ultimate driving machine", hmm where else have i heard that!)

I'm not much for the 6 either, but all of this video of the e60 M5 i've been seeing on the internet has started to bring me around. I think the e60 m5 looks good in motion, but maybe it's the noise that it makes that really has me going. I can bear an ugly car if it really performs...
Mike

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Pong,

Surprisingly enough, I find the upcoming Saturn Sky which I believe is also based on the same platform as the Solistice, to be quite good looking! I never thought I'd find the day when I'd thought a Saturn looked good.

I'm not entirely sold on the looks of the Solistice myself. I think that the G6 looks better.

On the other hand, BMW seems to have confirmed that they WILL be offering a 6 speed manual tranny in the E60 M5 for 2007 so there's hope for them yet!

And I believe that the reason why C&D didn't include the 545i (soon to be 550i) is because that would have taken them over the $55,000 cap imposed on the comparo test. The irony is that they raised the cap for the RL I believe. Interesting read, though. I was truly stunned to find that the top three finishers were all from Japan! I never thought I'd see that day come! But looking at the bright side, C&D did say that the only reason why the 530i didn't finish higher was because of the power deficit which should soon be solved with the infusion of 30 some hp in the new inline-6 coming up soon. I'm due for a test drive in the new E90 3 series soon so I'll see how much of an improvement that makes.

Pong, have you decided on a replacement car? It seems like the E39 M5 is beginning to look like your ONLY choice at this point. Are you on the lookout still for one?

·
Registered
64 Posts
When you have a car that was as perfect (at least according to automotive journalists) as the E39 you should do a design UPDATE not a total REDESIGN. It will be 10 years before BMW recovers from this tactical mistake with the 5 series.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
atomic80 said:
Pong,

Pong, have you decided on a replacement car? It seems like the E39 M5 is beginning to look like your ONLY choice at this point. Are you on the lookout still for one?
Jason,

No decisions yet. The contenders are Lexus RX330, E39 M5 and or E39 530i (5 speed). If its an E39, it'd have to be an 03-CPO car. After the last 6 months of my M5, I have no stomach for an unwarranted BMW. grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

CP

·
10,455 Posts
chunpng said:
Jason,

No decisions yet. The contenders are Lexus RX330, E39 M5 and or E39 530i (5 speed). If its an E39, it'd have to be an 03-CPO car. After the last 6 months of my M5, I have no stomach for an unwarranted BMW. grrrrrrr grrrrrrr

CP
Even though you have the Ruf, i think you might be disappointed with a 530, knowing what you had. I originally kept my 528, thinking i'd use it as a daily driver and save the M5 for the weekends, but i just never wanted to drive the 528 after experiencing the M5. the 528 was a **** nice car too, but the power was just sooo nice, and i use it every day.
Mike

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
It is interesting that they tested the 530i just before the power upgrade. That's as unfair as excluding the 545i. Some other new mag tested the 745i just before the upgrade as well. Believe it or not they ranked it first.

I don't think BMWs problem is styling alone. Add to that i-drive that everyone hates, the artificial feel of active steering, the clunky-ness of SMG, the oddball features such as the turn signals, the lack of power compared to rivals (until the upgrades), and finally the high prices. The result is a car that may have great features and drives well but is hard for anyone to like.

It is a complete reversal from the e39. With it, there were few faults for anyone to find. Hence it mostly finished first. Now I think BMW says scr#w what anyone else thinks, we'll do it our way!

PS: If BMW would put in short cut buttons to the radio tune functions, they'd solve the biggest complaint from most and stop all the bad press on i-drive. I really liked the 540i non-nav radio. The buttons changed functions based on its mode. Just a handful of buttons did dozens of things.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
mottati said:
Even though you have the Ruf, i think you might be disappointed with a 530, knowing what you had. I originally kept my 528, thinking i'd use it as a daily driver and save the M5 for the weekends, but i just never wanted to drive the 528 after experiencing the M5. the 528 was a **** nice car too, but the power was just sooo nice, and i use it every day.
Mike
I just sold my 528i, but it gave me many good years. Compared to the 530, I barely felt the difference in power, but you get about 3 more mpg. I actually like the drive on my 528i more than the M5 sometimes because I don't have to deal with the clunky and notchy M5 shifter. The ride is more comfortable. It's just more relaxing. Obviously, the power and looks on the M5 is much better then the 528i.

The CD comparison wasn't fair, but even the 545 might have finished 2nd to the M45 on price alone. The M45 also has more hp/ltr. Their speed times are identical and they both have bad ergonomics. I think BMW now has more to worry than just their Bangle design.

·
Registered
63 Posts
chunpng said:
Hi,

Two things I thought I'd never see.

(1) Car and Driver just did an eight-sedan comparo, and the E50 530i came in sixth, only ahead of a Jag and a Caddy. I don't EVER remember the E39 5 series NOT winning a comparo, in almost any magazine. :crying: :crying: Here's the entire article. Read it and weep.

CP
In this order: Infinity, Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, and Audi in front of BMW. There must be a lot of auto executives, esp in Japan, happy about the fall of the E60 series compared to the E39!
P

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
CP,

So many good new cars out there these days, but none that really seem to fit the bill and offer the all around package as purely as the E39 M5 did. The Mercedes AMG cars are intriguing, but don't offer the driver involvment or handling characteristics. The Audi S and RS cars are great all around cars, but somewhat sedated with their automatic transmissions and Quattro. I will have my eye on the new S6, RS6, and RS4 however. The Porsche 997 is nice, but the mode desirable and possibly mandatory S car is way overpriced. Ofcourse, Ferrari is doing good things, but all their cars are 100K+, with the 550 Maranello being the most feasable. Can you beleive the 360 Modena is still fetching 130K for an early model ('99-'00), with the 430 just hitting streets!?

Ofcourse, the new BMW's are not something I have any desire in at all. I haved to force myself to check the E60 board and keep up on the M5 progress. The X5 with X-drive and last ('05) E46 M3's are the only models I would consider.

I'm interested to see what the market will look like in 2 years, after the new high power Audi's are on the streets, AMG has gone back to naturally aspirated, and BMW has released the M5 and hopefully E90 M3.

Whats a guy to do? Keep the M5, buy an S4, or look into a clean E36 M3 are the only options that appeal to me.

Travis

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If it was entirely up to myself, I have more candidates. But as my wife weights in heavily in the buying decision, I'm down to the above three (for the time being). She will only consider a 'safe' car, especially after the accident that totaled my M5.

Other cars that I'd consider seriousely: MazdaSpeed Miata, MB SLK350 6-speed (I'll add Kleemann charger and suspension), Acura RL, Pontiac Solstice (there I did it again :(). E30 M3, Subaru WRX Sti. However, this list will most likely fail the safety or reliability 'tests'. I tell you, the M5 and the RUF makes it really tough on the next car.

Mike, I hear you about the 530i. That'd be one factor to seriousely consider. My rationale is: It's no M5, but the 530i still gotta be more fun to drive than the Highlander.

CP

1 - 20 of 34 Posts