BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MY AUSSIE M5 IS HERE

Picked up my new Sepang Bronze on perforated black full leather yesterday afternoon, unbelievable.

Will post some better pictures and first impressions soon, I am off out to drive it now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Re: MY AUSSIE M5 IS HERE

Beautiful! That interior combo really works with the Sepang Bronze.

Looks like you have to be careful not to scratch the tailpipes or diffuser in the rear! Th

·
Registered
520 Posts

Congrats. I don't expect we'll see much of you on the board this weekend! :byee55amg

·
Registered
213 Posts

fantastic mate, bloody brilliant! Have a ton of fun out there ay!

Hrm making me wonder whether I'll need get my driveway redone now...

·
Registered
3 Posts

hi! im from south africa. live in a town called warmbaths. my father is getting his E60 m5 within this week! we've ordered it more than a year ago, finally its here! colour is interlagos blue. anyone received their m5 yet that you know of in south africa? where can we buy a product to make the tv in the m5 work while driving?

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

Looks great! Congratulations. Must be one of the first on the road in Oz :cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts

Looks great, classy colour combo. enjoy. still a 4 month wait for me.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Car looks sensational mate... congrats...

You need to do something about that gutter tho... And stick some Euro Plates on it...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Just back from my first short run through Kuringah Nat. Park down to Bobbin Head then up the old Pacific Hwy to past Hawksbury. Just unbelievable, the M5 is better than I imagined on the road.

I was a tiny bit concerned after my Eastern Creek Raceway morning as I thought the M3 Sport I also drove was a more focused car on the day, as I said in an earlier post, I felt it was better suited for the track than the M5.

My concerns have been totally negated after my run today, the M5 is such a total package, it is everthing my E46 M3 was on the road but infinitely more refined. It handles as well on the road, has brilliant brakes, enormous power reserves, which I can't wait to explore and totally masks the speed you are doing, it does it all so effortlessly.

I have not found I Drive the pain I feared and Journo's winge about, I have in the main mastered it already.

The SMGIII is much better than SMGII, once again more refined, gear changes can be made smoother with less concentration, it just seems easier to make perfect lovely changes compared to my SMGII, not that that was hard IMO it is just a little more fluid now.

The auto or D mode really surprised me, it is infinitly better than SMGII, that said unless you are needing another hand for something else I always prefer to change my own gears. I love to use paddles and found the new Stick much nicer in feel than my M3, infact I found myself often changing with the stick as well, when I wasn't in the real twisty stuff.

The engine note inside the cabin is just glorious, it is sooo goooood, you just want to keep revving up and down and with those magic double clutch downshifts, almost seventh heaven.

I didn't get that much chance yet to experiment with the damper settings although the car really hardens up on sport. I look forward to being able to really test the 3 options with more kms and different roads.

Seats are beautiful, very comfortable and I love the shoulder adjustment, the side adjustment is same really as my M3 but I do not like the active component to this in the M5, very disconcerting IMO when it keeps hugging and releasing, hope I can just set that where ever I wish, when you push the M Drive button it seems that makes it active. Need more study of the manual.

After I turned around just past the Hawkesbury and started back to Sydney heading uphill through tight beautiful flowing well cambered corners came upon a big cafe racer style bike who started to really go for it, I was keeping up with him easily whilst still limiting revvs to 5.5k, amazing, car felt so well balanced and I was dying to just give it it's head, I would have blasted the bike away I'm sure. These moments are priceless and just reinforced how refined and fast the M5 is.

There are no longer any doubts in my mind with the M3 verses the M5. Sitting at home writing this post with the kids now in bed , whilst my wife is out on a birthday dinner with her sister, instead of me being back out there on a quiet night road going for it, anyhow writing this post is bringing it all back again.

I have attached some better photos I took today and thanks for the few nice comments from others, my garage and driveway look worse than it is, I have had some much lower cars in & out.

Will post again with further impressions after more kms.

Attachments

·
Registered
943 Posts

Congrats and enjoy. It never stops being fun to drive the M5! :happybirt

·
Registered
40 Posts

I think I know how you will spend today(sunday) DRIVING OF COURSE
I hope you get up 5000kms by November 5/6 for our drive to Bathurst
and will be joining us
Happy Driving you lucky thing
Are you in the lighting business by any chance?????
Like the number plate!

·
Registered
68 Posts

Gidday Pete,

Fantastic report, I just can't wait to get mine and go for a drive up through Wollombi to the Hunter.

In fact I already have an excuse to drive out to Orange for a day straight after taking delivery around 12th Sept.

I'll give you a call tomorrow morning, are you still up for a latte at my office before I head off to London (Ashok? are you able to catch up?).

Cheers mate,

Dave

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

1.NEON -

Seeing your colors made me change my colors! Absolutely beautiful!

Sepang/Black it is! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 143 Posts