BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my M6 I knew lowering it was a must but even with the Hartge springs the drop was just not enough. I wanted to have the 255x30 and 305x25 (20's with 11's in the rear) setup for my wheels and I knew that I would drop about 1 inch in diameter creating fender gap even with lowering springs.

Harbor Motorsports in Santa Ana (714 265 0010) located these KW V3's direct from Germany and I gave them a shot. They carry the EDC electronic defeat modules for both the front and rear so I dont have any error messages. Whats really nice IMO is that I always loved EDC sport but felt that there was a bit of understeer associated with it versus the lighter feel of EDC comfort. Now with the springs I lose the electronic adjustment but gain the ability to use the steering feel of EDC comfort. The KW's are adjustable for height of course, compression, and rebound. I just got the drop done yesterday so I have to drive the car for a while and fine tune the setup. But my first 20 mile impressions are great, less body roll but actually better comfort than EDC sport. I recommend the 2400 dollar purchase (MSRP) for your M6 all day long and especially if you want the most aggressive stance with 20's the way mine are sized.

The pics attached are my rookie attempts and I apologize in advance. There is still another 20mm left in the drop if I choose but that will be too low with the Vorsteiner front lip. I will post a pic my bro Auktane took right after it was dropped. As you can see his photo skills are superior.

Attachments

Reactions: gasterus

·
Registered
192 Posts
very nice!!!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Vic you bastard!!! Sick sick Vic....you're prob. the first to get the coilovers for the M6.:M5thumbs:

So the coilovers override the EDC, but I assume you can adjust dampening effects with the coilovers - how do you control this (screws?)

In the 1st pic the car looks dumped...is this max lowered?
In the one pic of the front wheel there is a slight gap where you can see the coilovers...that's with 20 mm to go?

Either way that's an uber super mod! Let us know how it rides, and how easy the adjustments are to make.
(btw, that one thread on MB about EF is funny as s***)

·
Registered
124 Posts
love it, great looking car!!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the comps, I have tried to keep it clean yet aggressive without being over the top.

Vic you bastard!!! Sick sick Vic....you're prob. the first to get the coilovers for the M6.:M5thumbs:

So the coilovers override the EDC, but I assume you can adjust dampening effects with the coilovers - how do you control this (screws?)

In the 1st pic the car looks dumped...is this max lowered?
In the one pic of the front wheel there is a slight gap where you can see the coilovers...that's with 20 mm to go?

Either way that's an uber super mod! Let us know how it rides, and how easy the adjustments are to make.
(btw, that one thread on MB about EF is funny as s***)
Hey bro, the way you adjust the coils is via a tool (wrench) provided for height and a small mini Allen style wrench for the compression and rebound.

The first pic is the same level as the rest, I have at least 20mm left maybe more :)

The adjustments require the car to be on a lift so the coils are not compressed (for lowering)- the rebound and compression I think can be adjusted from the perch but I have to check the directions again.

Nice ride man, I m curious where did you get your spoiler doesn't look like the ac schnitzer one.

m6cn
Thanks, its an RD Sport rear deck lid spoiler.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
speechless!!!!!!! looks mean with all the right combinations! Wins my vote as the coolest M6 on this board!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Great looking Alpine bro

·
Registered
47 Posts
speechless!!!!!!! looks mean with all the right combinations! Wins my vote as the coolest M6 on this board!
I agree, well done. Great choice of wheels also, the combination is very classy. Imo you have to dump the m6 to get the look you want with 20s since the wheel wells are so big.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Car looks sick bro as I told you before. How is the ride with the KW's as I am getting mine next week.

Thanks

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Car looks sick bro as I told you before. How is the ride with the KW's as I am getting mine next week.

Thanks
So far so good, I took the car up to 155 mph for a quick run and its very stable, better than with EDC Sport. The undulations that I have in my neighborhood feel the same too.

I need to take it up to 190 or a little higher to get more perspective. Oh you will need spacers in the front unless you dont want to drop it too low. It also depends on your offset of the fronts. On mine the when we tried to drop it down real low, the coils hit the inside of the tire so we got some 12mm H&R spacers and that pushed out the wheel just enough. In fact the front looks even better with the wheel right inside the fender now.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thanks for sharing Vic I actually just putt the H&R 12mm spacers on yesterday and I want to drop it as low as possible. The only thing I cant figure out my car was driving pretty smooth on my new 20" wheels but right after I had the spacers put on I feel more vibration on my stering wheel and also ride seems to be more bumpy now. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Can you describe were and what rpm or is it on acceleration or just under braking? ... Alot of things can cause vibration (wheel bend, separated tires and etc.), I would start with your wheels and tires first and check the spacers if they have a snug fit on the wheel, btw are they hub centric spacers?...

Thanks for sharing Vic I actually just putt the H&R 12mm spacers on yesterday and I want to drop it as low as possible. The only thing I cant figure out my car was driving pretty smooth on my new 20" wheels but right after I had the spacers put on I feel more vibration on my stering wheel and also ride seems to be more bumpy now. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have the same issue when I put on my 20's with hubcentric spacers....my vibration is right at around 40 - 60 mph range....I've had the wheels rebalanced and remounted...but still slight steering wheel vibration...don't know why....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts