BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, fellow petrol heads,

Last year I bought a 2002 Alpina B3 3.3 to use as a daily driver.
It's a facelift E46 4-door model, manual 6 speed, spec'd with these option:
- Alpina Blau II
- 16:9 Satnav (MKIII) CD
- 6-CD changer
- white indicators
(and some other I can't remember right now)

No leather, but I don't miss it.

Some technical background info:

The engine is based on the E36 M3 US 3.2 litre straight-6 (S52B32). Power is up from 240bhp standard to 280bhp by fitting bespoke intake and
exhaust manifolds and Mahle pistons. The single VANOS cylinder head is the same as in the E36 328i.
The exhaust system is built by Boysen, and the springs and shocks are uprated with Sachs and Eibach parts.

A total 591 E46 Alpina B3 3.3 Limousines were built. Mine is #588. Only about 80 are facelift models.

Over the last year, I've only had to replace the front discs and pads (front left twice, because it seized) and repair/respray of the front bumper.
I've swapped the 6-CD changer with an Intravee II unit + Alpine iPod adapter.

Average fuel consumption over the last year is 10.2 l/100km, 23.0 MPG(US), 27.6 MPG(Imp).

Last week I ordered an OEM E46 M-option steering wheel, because I found the original steering wheel to be too thin and worn. I did not go for the OEM M3,
because it has the M-colored stitching. This weekend I will transplant the MF keys, Alpina-badged airbag and Alpina lower cover.

To do (in order of importance):

- Refurbish Alpina rims (paint flaking, especially on the inside of the spokes) + new Alpina center badges
- Sand down and varnish the all-wood gear knob. I would buy a replacement, but can't seem to find one. Only leather/wood combo ones...
- Rear bumper seems to have been pushed about 1cm to the front. Remove + check/replace clips. At the same time, detail the exhaust tips.
- Replace scratched ashtray cover
- Front bumper Alpina striping (still hesitating) << yes or no?
- K&N CAI (more power, better sound?) << pls comment
- Suspension refresh (Bilstein, KW, Kone, ...), but this could prove a problem. I would have to go through
the entire certification procedure. OEM Alpina is easier, but a lot more expensive. F#[email protected]!! Belgian bureaucracy!

I'm all out of things to write for the moment, so it's time for some... pictures!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Very nice looking car , lovely condition .

Have you some piccies from inside too pls ??

Is the Intravee any good ??

For me , striping = YES

K&N not sure about more power , but prob sounds lounder . It did in my old Sierra XR4x4 !!

Suspension , Lux bureaucraZy is more like it . They failed my old ACS3 because the rear springs
were not the same colour as on the TuV document , despite being able to read the part number
clearly !! However , if you can get it through , a lot of people rave about KW's , but I think they're
aimed more at 'trackers' . A Bilstein sport package might be more applicable for the road .

Hope to see the car for real soon . Maybe a visit to the Intl Motorsport Show in Lux this w/e ??

Cheers , Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Intravee II is superb! Browsing through artists and albums is a little slow, but I've got nothing to compare it to.
A slight problem is that Apple changed the wiring on their iPods a while ago, so my iPod won't charge in the car.

I can't go anywhere this weekend as I'm working. Looks like a great show.

I've only got one picture of the interior. I plan to make some more when I swap the steering wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
Very nice , and clean .
Don't think I've seen an all wood gear-knob on an E46 . Mind you most I've seen are
Switchtronics which makes a difference I think !!

Chris

·
Registered
554 Posts
And wood on steering wheel too , not seen that either .

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Shame Alpina did not produce a manual version of the E46 for the UK market :sad3:, the combination of the S engine and the manual box in my Roadster is brilliant :wroom:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts