BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what a f£^%ing day! First I'll start off by thanking everyone at Evolve for the time and effort put in to this as whole, as well as today on my car. You have a great setup there at Evolve, and it is no surprise to hear you are busy!

Anyway, my day. Well actually, I'll start with last night! I got my road tax at last so was able to take it out for its first drive in 5 months. All was going well for about 7 miles, then all of a sudden I get a slight judder through the steering wheel. I'm thinking ok well maybe it’s the road surface so I'll carry on for a bit and see. Then it just gets worse and worse until I can see the whole front end begin to shake. I pulled up and get out to have a look, and as I suspected, the drivers side brake calliper is seized and the rotor is glowing with the heat!! I had repaired this calliper last year with the repair kit, but this happened a lot quicker this time. So I end up on the back of an AA Flatbed on the way home for the night. A sorry sight that was!

stuff 078.JPG

So this morning I try to make a go of limping to a BMW garage to get it done as my car was booked in for Alpha N at 11am. Got there, just, and asked how much for a calliper, HOLY ****E!! £392!!!! So he was told what to do with his calliper and I went to Eurocarparts. Whom the BMW parts guy said 'Would never stock such a thing'. Well how wrong he was. They ordered me one in from the dist. centre in Wembley, remanufactured one £165. Much better so that was arriving at 11.30. I rung Evolve and let them know and got re-booked in for 4pm.

So I nursed it back home, stripped the old calliper off then went and picked up the new one. Got that, went home and fitted it, fantastic! Let's go, I thought. Get back in the car, turn the key.... Click, click, click. F£$%ing dead battery! So I pulled my van around, jumped it then finally headed for Luton!

At last I arrived at Evolve for 3.40! Sal was working with an E46 that had been re-mapped before by another company, having a lotta fun doing it <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.m5board.com/ubb/wink.gif" src="file:///C:\Users\LEEZAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>So my car didn't get started until about 5ish. So he went to get the car and bring it in and..... click click click! Arggghghhhhh! Dead again(new battery time next).

He downloaded the map then took it inside to play around with it on the computer. He let me watch how its all done and showed me the comparisons between the stock map, the re-map that was on it, and Alpha N. The differences between stock and my map were utterly ridiculous! Far too much fuel going in. With throttle mapping I was on full throttle opening at about 70% travel, so that'll explain why I couldn't drive the thing slowly! I think up to about 4k rpm the openings on my map were double what Alpha N is. So that was nice to know, and as soon as he started looking at everything he tells me, 'you’re gonna get power!'.:biggrin: This was the grin on his face when he said it, lol.

He then started going through a lot of different map settings, and tbh, I lost myself in it all! He really knows what he is doing and it shows. Unfortunately due to me rushing to get there, and not thinking too hard on the situation, I didn't get any fuel on the way to Evolve and turned up with 40 miles showing on the range! So I couldn't put it on the Dyno so no printout for you all, sorry! Also my battery kept losing charge. That being said I don't need a Dyno to tell me I've gained power! The change is just incredible. So smooth to pull away, even when cold, and the improvement in torque and the way it now pulls harder to the redline is simply amazing. Even if the power increase is only slight, it just feels so much nicer to drive, and the power is much more usable. The only downside being the cost of new rear tyres once I've stopped playing! So I have less throttle mapping and I can still feel the engine has more power.

To all at Evolve and especially Sal, I thank you dearly for making my car and me very happy! That drive home tonight was phenomenal! Also a huge thank you for working until about 7pm!! Much appreciated and again it shows how dedicated you are.
:biggrin:;):blink::D:goldcup:cherrsagai

Reactions: Mike S. and wkd928

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Lee, nicely written post :) good work in sorting the brakes in such a short time. I can't wait to get my motor back and posts like yours keep me focused on how it's all worth while! Also I'm looking forward to going alpha-n as well.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for sharing Leezamonkey, sounds like you are one happy monkey with the upgrades! Reading stories like this make me feel like a kid before christmas, I WANT the AlphaN! :2: Too bad I think I haven't been quite nice enough :hihihi:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sounds like an eventful day ! Brilliant write up. Can't wait to get mine mapped at Evolve but my MAF's have only done about 5000 miles so won't be going Alpha N. Will have to wait though as alloys being refurbed next week & just spent a few quid on front discs/pads.

Are you now hanging onto the car a bit longer then Lee ? Thought you were selling it soon ?

Simon.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you now hanging onto the car a bit longer then Lee ? Thought you were selling it soon ?

Simon.
Yeah but don't tell the girlfriend! Shhhh! I will be selling mate but I've gotta enjoy another bit of warm sun with it, rude not to. :cool2:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Lee,

My car is in the garage at the moment also getting the front caliper changed (N/S) along with both belts and track rod end so not a happy bunny at the moment only had the car 2 weeks...!!! :mad:

Does the remap you had done give you better mpg or is it just a myth..?? What kind of power increase do they reckon it gives and was it expensive..??

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Lee,

My car is in the garage at the moment also getting the front caliper changed (N/S) along with both belts and track rod end so not a happy bunny at the moment only had the car 2 weeks...!!! :mad:

Does the remap you had done give you better mpg or is it just a myth..?? What kind of power increase do they reckon it gives and was it expensive..??

Cheers.
Thats not good news, although at least they're getting done now. Any kind of re-map, if it's done well, will give you better mpg if you drive it exactly the same as before, BUT... It is not a major amount, especially on these engines, its really not worth noting that it gives you better mpg as that is not what it designed to do, it is a by-product of getting more power for the same amount of fuel used. It is vastly different however on Turbo Diesel engines. They do get quite a bit more mpg.

Anyway, power increase on these engines is quite difficult as they are naturally aspirated and already quite highly tuned, but if you go here http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...gs/155248-e39-m5-ecu-upgrades-inc-alphan.html it tells you a bit about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Lee,

I will check it out thanks for that. Got the car back driving sweet now let's just hope that's the way it stays! Lol.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Alright Lee, sometimes you just get them days, although the end to your daysounds like it was worth the wait. What mileage is on the car? Mines done 110k and am wondering if I'd be better doing some future proofing (rod bearings) before spending any money on mod like what you have just had completed.

Regards

Mike

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright Lee, sometimes you just get them days, although the end to your daysounds like it was worth the wait. What mileage is on the car? Mines done 110k and am wondering if I'd be better doing some future proofing (rod bearings) before spending any money on mod like what you have just had completed.

Regards

Mike
Hi Mike

Mine is on 142k now and to my knowledge hasn't had them done, I should be worried but I'm not one for worrying about what could happen tbh. I forgot to mention also that my rev limit had been raised to 7200rpm on the old map, which has now been taken back down to 7000rpm. I'm not one for hitting the limiter too often either, at least I try not to ;)

Reactions: Mr.Devere
1 - 11 of 11 Posts