BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Since January 2016 owner of M5 E61 Interlagos Blue. Bought mine M with 68k mls on clock.

Before owner of 530d e61. so e61 model in shape and some other aspects is known to me.

Impressed with with gearbox slamming through every gear change and proper kick in mine spine through every gear up to no 7 on the dash. Very nice ! :devil

In April , Throttle Actuator Bank 2 failed ( from this forum learned , what to do ) Found ppl who could revamp gears on actuator for me , and on the 230 mls trip to them clutch have started slipping between 3-4 gear :x
Re con TA 500£ - for both. Clutch Sachs flywheell LUK 850£ + fitting 500£ . Week after oil cooler , oil leak 279£.

TA - end up of buying new actuator 399£ VDO for Bank 2 as is been failing every 2 weeks - got fitted now for a week and is fine. Replaced my self - ( not that hard , just a lot of stripping needs to be done - recommended to all owners - do it your self to build up relationship with your beasts. adaptation - calibration after been fit is been done as well - many different opinions do the need or no , i have calibrated mines.

Clutch - break in process with few problems , as man who have installed for mee had problem with his GT1 and first 100 miles done without adaptation ( jerky like hell ) first 500 mls done with more care if fast drive , always foot of the accelerator , now done about 2k mls on this clutch and overall its fine , sometimes some clunks coming from diff when engaging to 1st , or down shifting it self on traffic lights from 3rd to second on low revs.

1. Something have changed aver all this - but unsure , is this the clutch - or actuators - M is not slamming through the gears like before with every gear change especially from 2nd to 3rd or from 3rd to 4th - they are smoother changes definitely then before like there is not that much power as it was before As anyone have experienced something similar ? No codes throwing out. Very strange. Is the clutch still breaking in ? Or what ?

2. What it should be coolant temp ? Mine is between 79C and 84C . Oil temp when hot is just before 100C sometimes when kicking just above 100C.

In July 2600 mls trip is awaiting for me in mine much loved M5 , dont want any surprises.

Thanks for your toughs.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Hi

TA calibration after been fit is been done as well - many different opinions do the need or no , i have calibrated mines.

Thanks for your thoughts
How did you calibrate the TAs? There is nothing in ISTA for this. There are tests, but no calibration. I believe that happens when you put the key in 2nd position without starting the car.

For your SMG: Did you reset adaptations? If so, it will be a while until the tranny learns how you want to drive and "slams" you with the shifts, no? I'm sure that there are experts here who can confirm or contradict this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TA- not sure as mine indy is got GT1 and he said there is option to tell that new one have been installed. No any magic just confirmation of new item is been installed. That pretty much his words.

Reset adaptations ?

After clutch is being fitted , adaptation is been required to tell car is got new clutch and there is new position of the clutch surface if i understand correctly. After this adaptation is been done now break in process and while this is like ZF model gearboxes which is learning style your driving ?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I think all he did was clear the fault codes. There is nothing to say new TAs are installed. Yes - like ZF. It learns your style of driving. Also, (I don't know where you are located), but the previous owner may have loaded the SMG Euro tune - which is generally smoother shifting, and the adaptation put back the old SMG software (? just guessing).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For fault codes i have mine Wi Fii Carista.

What is your coolant temp , to me mine seems quiet low :/

BTW - From UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts