BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You hit the nail on the head!!

Funny this is probably one of the rarest M5 tuner cars out there. In the States Dinan is equal to say AMG. It is probably as per Dinan's estimate 1 of 1 or 1 of 5 ever made in this configuration. Heck just a plain red on black M5 is fairly rare. That engine would cost about $15k to replicate.

You see people buying $10k cars with zero Dianan stuff and so so paint that needs more attention just the issues are smaller. If a panel has a scratch or it has dead paint it needs refinishing. I know there might be an hour or so more prep but you get the idea, it still needs paint.

Then add all the maintenance work done to the car. Big one is lower bearings down by F Fahey. I have looked at the so called $25k dolled up cars when I was looking for one. Honestly they looked awesome, then you realize the ding here, scuff there and the a/c kind of cold, the minor shake, the spotty records and I just couldn't justify buying one.

Here is a car with a Dinan 3.9 stroker with fresh bearings. Then add the suspension and big brakes and I am lost how this car isn't sold. I think I should have priced it higher as the bulk of the emails I get are questioning what is wrong with it.

Car needs paint and lets say $500 or even a $1000 reserve for clips or whatever will be needed. In the end you are still 10x better off then the $25k cars out there and have saved a good $7-8k with an estimate of $5k for paint which i have.

I have a couple solid offers and I am car shopping this weekend. I am just looking for a good home and someone who understands what the car is and what it will need. I don't want any problems or issues and I think my honesty scares people off.

Oh well, where can you buy a car this capable on the street or track for $12k that you can drive daily??? All I ask is the new owner close their eyes to dismiss the cosmetics, get in and take for a hard drive. By the way the interior is in incredible shape for it's age. Then you can report back to the crowd who spent money elsewhere.

I do not get it???

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buyer picked up today. Polite young guy with his friend. This is his first car!! I told him not sure this is greatest first car giving him an out but he wanted it. Didn't want to go over anything and neither wanted to drive. He was in a rush to leave. Hope it works out for him.

I have to say I think the audience for these cars is a much younger generation then mine. Thanks for all the help and maybe I will be back one day.

Honestly car was a great buy. I know paint was deal breaker for most but 25 year old cars need cosmetic attention even if buffed out pretty for auction pics. Heck, mine looked awesome and I was honest enough to say it needed paint.

I hope it gets treated well and wish enthusiast would have gotten it. I still don't get why others bought lesser cars for more cash.

Thanks and it was a great ride. Now onto a new BMW with more electronics then I need.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts