BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
+1 to you CSBM5
My mods began on my 01 E39 M5 in 2008, rear wheels forward, then the whole Dinan S2 experience with JRZ suspension, bbk, and rims. After purchasing my E63 M6, my M5 went back to stock. No tramlining, no harshness, just a highway cruiser with predictable handling characteristics.
A previous mechanic with driving experience told me many years ago, the car is nothing more than a tool. Learn how to use the tool and you will appreciate it for its capabilities.

I drove my M5 and my 530 back to back this past week. I think the M5 picks up driver mistakes sooner than the 530, late braking and too aggressively turning the wheel leading to under steering ( front pushing). In 2008 that made me think that the M5 needed a wider foot print forward (I was such a noob lol). Instead, I just needed to respect the weight transfer capabilities, be more careful with trail braking and steering wheel turning....come in slightly slower to exit faster and net a faster corner time.
No doubt the car had the capability to handle better with the Dinan mods but I really couldn’t use it on public roads....and much better track options than an M5.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, it's a weird title but those here who have 525 / 528 / 530 know what I'm talking about.
Give or take, my 528 is roughly 400 lbs lighter, aluminum subframe vs steel, rack pinion vs recirculating ball and forged (lighter) M Pars vs M5 OEM wheels.
On some days I'll coincidentally drive one after another one and hit the same roads and it's amazing how more nimble 528 is.
Yes, it's lacking 200 HP + and it has 4 speed automatic but is a lot of fun in sport mode.
I love the M5 but getting that itch again to sell it, put some money in bank and do a S52 swap and 5 speed manual in 528.
That's probably one of the cleanest early 528s I've ever seen. How many miles on her?

·
Registered
38 Posts
My brother has a 530 manual sport and a 330 zhp. They are great for around the town commuting. However, on the highway the M5 has tons of torque and just feels so planted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought my M5 after my manual 530i became uneconomical to run. I had the 530i for 13 years and adored it.

Steering feel is one immediate difference I noticed.

Yes, the steering has marginally better feel in the 530i. But turn on the sport mode to get ride of the servotronic assistance at low speed and it's pretty damn close in my book.

The E39 as a whole was spot on from the start, and it actually surprises me how little the M5 differs from the rest of the range (higher up the ladder, of course, like 530i and 540i) in terms of suspension components and items specific to just the M5.

But for me, the M5 feels like a proper sports car or sports saloon rather than a 'sporty' car like the 530i.

The M5 is the best E39. And that makes it the best of arguably the best all-round car ever made.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
I bought my M5 after my manual 530i became uneconomical to run. I had the 530i for 13 years and adored it.

Steering feel is one immediate difference I noticed.

Yes, the steering has marginally better feel in the 530i. But turn on the sport mode to get ride of the servotronic assistance at low speed and it's pretty damn close in my book.

The E39 as a whole was spot on from the start, and it actually surprises me how little the M5 differs from the rest of the range (higher up the ladder, of course, like 530i and 540i) in terms of suspension components and items specific to just the M5.

But for me, the M5 feels like a proper sports car or sports saloon rather than a 'sporty' car like the 530i.

The M5 is the best E39. And that makes it the best of arguably the best all-round car ever made.
As a point of information, the servotronic assist can also be adjusted. I had that done when I had my car tuned by Frank Smith a few years ago. The weight is now very nice and you can tighten it up slightly by adjusting the steering box; there is a screw on top. Be careful, a little adjustment goes a long way!!

I have driven lots of cars, including race cars. The M5 steering feel is not quite up to R&P, but it really is otherwise quite good. When you firm up the servo assist and SLIGHTLY tighten the steering box to help with off center feel, the car communicates very well.

I have no issues with tramlining with my square setup, unless the road is really nasty. The extra tire patch in the front is a huge help with the cars tendency to understeer. I also use X5 thrust bushings as a compromise between stock and monoballs. Seems to work.

For street driving, the car is plenty agile and very planted. For track work, I would still probably leave the adjustable rear sway bar in the softest of its 3 settings, but it could be adjusted to compensate for different tracks and different driving styles. It is nice to be able to steer the car on track with either the steering wheel or the throttle.

I still find it to be a fantastic highway cruiser. Very comfortable, reasonable mpg's and torque everywhere. Can drive for hours at a time without fatigue.

While I appreciate the 528 for what it is, I don't think the M5 will be replaced by it. Of course, YMMV!

Regards,
Jerry

41 - 46 of 46 Posts