BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I made my 2nd visit to the BMW M GmbH to finally have a look a the M6. I was able to see exactly the same car that will be presented to the public at the Geneva Auto Show in March (Indianapolis Red, black full leather trim with Madeira wood).

Here's a short summary of what I have learnd and experienced:

The gentleman's agreement only allows a top speed of 250 km/h. There is no mention of a 3%, 5% or 10% tolerance as claimed in the M5 tread "Would you like a de-limited top speed option?". BMW M cars reach an effective speed of 256-264 km/h. At the moment BMW M GmbH is deperately asking the BMW AG's board of management for permission to remove the speed limiter for the M6. No decision has been made so far. The M6 is reaching a top speed of 330 km/h.

The M6 is delivered with either Continental Sport Contact 2 tyres or Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tyres. The customer is not free to choose between that two tyres; he must take what he gets. The M6 I saw was using the Continental tyres.

The production of M6 customer cars has already started, but no M5/M6 will be delivered before the German M5/M6 presentation on April, 8th–9th.

A manual tranny is planned only for the US market!!! You lucky guys.

I have seen a camouflaged M6-convertible!!! They denied that it is gonna be released, but there it was standing around.

Indianapolis Red is not an ugly but a beautiful colour; I am even tempted to choose Indianapolis Red for my M6. It is more elegant and less sporty than Silverstone II. It harmonizes perfectly with the stunning carbon fibre roof. Sorry, I am not able to describe the colour. The rims look also very good on the M6.

I took some pictures of the M5 (Interlagos blue and Silverstone II) standing around on the parking lot for visitors.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Thanks for posting - those M cars look very sad covered in snow :sad3:

A few comments:

- The more I see Madeira wood, the more I hate it. It just does not blend with the sport nature of the M6. I hope they offer Carbon interior trim.

- Customers never can choose tyres. It was the same with the E39 M5. BMW always have two suppliers in case there are supply problems with one (e.g. due to labour strikes).

- The speed limiter could be removed with the M3CSL subject to certain conditions (e.g. race license). I think they will do the same with the M6.

- M6 convertible will have to be very good to beat the SL55 but there is definitely a market if BMW can keep the weight down

- Indianapolis Red is not the best colour for this car; I'd like to see it in black mmmmmm

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
Today I made my 2nd visit to the BMW M GmbH to finally have a look a the M6.
Lucky man times two! This place m6board is indeed the best place to find out stuff way before the rest of world!

A couple of questions:-

1. Indi.Red: does it "change" colour in the way that some other new colours do under different shades of light, in particular under natural light? You probably saw it under cover so that's not a fair question.

2. What's the difference between the Continental and Michelin? Technical differences aside, any real advantage of either one? I guess it will depend on driving styles and road surfaces. (Can always try to "break" the dealer's arm to get whichever one is more suitable for us).

3. Did they say anything about allocation numbers? How many cars will be built for Germany this year etc.?

The M6 convertible is probably going to be heavier than the coupe, as per the standard 6 convertible. I imagine the coupe is the "optimal" version. (On a styling viewpoint, I think the convertible with roof up is not very nice but with roof down it is gorgeous).

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ashok Arora said:
- The more I see Madeira wood, the more I hate it. It just does not blend with the sport nature of the M6. I hope they offer Carbon interior trim.

- Indianapolis Red is not the best colour for this car; I'd like to see it in black mmmmmm
I've heard many people complain about the fact that wood is being offered for the M6. IMHO the M6 in not a thoroughbred sport car but a very sporty luxury coupe and therefore a black or dark-brown wood furnishing is not out of place. BMW recommends "Pianolack black" in combination with a Silverstone II paintwork, but that makes the interior look too cold and sterile for my taste. My current Silverstone E39 M5 has got a black full leather trim with red-brown Bruyere Club wood, and I have never regretted that decision. A black paintwork only looks good in combination with a two coloured leather interior (black/brown or black/white), but I don't like a 2nd leather colour being placed on the lower dash. A carbon fibre interior would look stunning, but unfortunately it's not available.:crying:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
M6 Forever said:
1. Indi.Red: does it "change" colour in the way that some other new colours do under different shades of light, in particular under natural light? You probably saw it under cover so that's not a fair question.

2. What's the difference between the Continental and Michelin? Technical differences aside, any real advantage of either one? I guess it will depend on driving styles and road surfaces. (Can always try to "break" the dealer's arm to get whichever one is more suitable for us).

3. Did they say anything about allocation numbers? How many cars will be built for Germany this year etc.?
1. I saw the M6 standing in an underground parking garage dimly lit by neon lights. I asked the BMW M employee that was attending me to drive the car out of the garage into the daylight and he did - he got scolded by a superior for doing so. It was high noon, but the weather wasn't fine and the colour changed only slightly. The employee told me that Indianapolis Red looks a bit brighter under good weather sunlight conditions. I've made the experience that cloudy, wintery daylight conditions prevent all the colours from sparkeling. Nevertheless – or maybe just because of it – Indianapolis Red looked very good.

2. I have heard that the Continental tyres are superior under wet driving conditions while the Michelin tyres are better on dry roads. The Continental Sport Contact 2 are good for speeds over 300 km/h. I don't know the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, but the Pilot Sport (1) can't handle speeds higher than 300 km/h.

3. I did not ask. Since I ordered my M6 at the biggest dealer (it belongs to the BMW AG) of the large German city Frankfurt am Main it is certain that I am among one of the first deliveries on April; at least that's what my dealer keeps telling me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
1. he got scolded by a superior for doing so.

– Indianapolis Red looked very good.

2. I have heard that the Continental tyres are superior under wet driving conditions while the Michelin tyres are better on dry roads. The Continental Sport Contact 2 are good for speeds over 300 km/h. I don't know the Michelin Pilot Sport 2, but the Pilot Sport (1) can't handle speeds higher than 300 km/h.

3. among one of the first deliveries on April;
Thanks.

1. Poor fellow, for doing us a good favour! I think Indi.Red will be OK/nice, but I won't be getting it, unless the Geneva car shows it to be absolutely stunning.

2. With the limited speed, we won't be going over 300km/h. I think the won't make material difference for most of us.

3. Congratulations. Can you query about DSC+? I've started a thread on DSC+ on the M6, not a big deal really, but would like to know the situation with that.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
It was high noon, but the weather wasn't fine and the colour changed only slightly. The employee told me that Indianapolis Red looks a bit brighter under good weather sunlight conditions. I've made the experience that cloudy, wintery daylight conditions prevent all the colours from sparkeling. Nevertheless – or maybe just because of it – Indianapolis Red looked very good.
This isn't a real surprise. Alot of the newer colors exhibit this same "flaw". Mystic Blue looks great on a clean car on a bright day. Titanium Grey looks great in the same conditions. Both look very dull when dirty or on cloudy/overcast days.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i used to drive a X5 just like that during the bmw fahrer-training:wroom:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts