BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd give you guys a look at the parts that came out of my 2008 M5 SMG for my clutch replacement. I outlined the parts replaced in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...403201-smg-clutch-replacement-parts-list.html

Anyway, now that I've had some time to go through the stock parts that came out I've learned 2 things. First, most everything was in good shape except for the expected abnormal wear that's been shown here before. The guide bushing and clutch release bearing were badly worn and is most likely the reason for the less than smooth shifting I was getting. The clutch was getting close to the end of its usable life but otherwise was not in bad shape (the material was close to the rivets on one side but had not gotten to the point of touching). The flywheel is pretty much perfect and could have been re-used (I will be selling it, if anyone is interested just PM me). The slave cylinder looked to be in good shape, hard to tell if could have been re-used. The SMG pump is another that's hard to tell if it was needed (though it definitely sounds different when priming with the new pump). The clutch position sensor also looked to be in good shape, the wires were surprisingly new feeling (I was expecting them to feel old or cracked).

When I replaced everything nothing was really "wrong" with the transmission, I mostly wanted to knock this out before the clutch wore out too badly, as I haven't seen many people pass 90k miles on the stock clutch. The only real issues was the typical "thunk" during shifting and getting a shudder when pulling away from a dead stop if the clutch was hot.

So overall I ended up spending $4,000 for the whole deal. Roughly $2600 in parts and $1400 in labor. Looking back I could have gotten away cheaper, but you don't know until you open it up what things will look like. In the end it's all good insurance and I'm sure my SMG will be in good shape for another 80k miles.

Pics:

Clutch Release Fork Lever

Clutch Release Bearing

Guide Bushing

Slave Cylinder

Flywheel

Clutch

·
Registered
362 Posts
I always replace the slave cylinder when doing S85 clutch jobs at work. It's cheap insurance (well moderately cheap compared to having to pull the tranny if it fails).

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thank you for this post, iv been looking for someone who was having same symptoms as me with the smg. i had a feeling it was the guide bushing binding up with the bearing. ill probably be doing this same replacement, i know one of the previous owners replaced the clutch already so i have to see if the clutch is still in good shape and maybe i can get away without redoing the clutch and fly wheel. how is your car driving now? does it still shudder from a stop? mines been getting worse and worse

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for this post, iv been looking for someone who was having same symptoms as me with the smg. i had a feeling it was the guide bushing binding up with the bearing. ill probably be doing this same replacement, i know one of the previous owners replaced the clutch already so i have to see if the clutch is still in good shape and maybe i can get away without redoing the clutch and fly wheel. how is your car driving now? does it still shudder from a stop? mines been getting worse and worse
It pulls away from a stop perfectly smooth now. The only issue I still have is a little bit of a thunk going from 1st to 2nd sometimes. I'm still in the break-in period (at 400 miles now} but once I hit 500 miles I'll go back to the indy and have them do another adaptation while the trans is warm. I'll update once I get that done.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I hit 500 miles I'll go back to the indy and have them do another adaptation while the trans is warm. I'll update once I get that done.
I'm still new to the S85 SMG scene, but can't you perform the adaptation by rolling between 40 - 90 mph, shifting into neutral, and then pulling the + and - paddles in for ~3 seconds?

·
Registered
991 Posts
I'm still new to the S85 SMG scene, but can't you perform the adaptation by rolling between 40 - 90 mph, shifting into neutral, and then pulling the + and - paddles in for ~3 seconds?

No, that adaptation is for when you reset tire pressures and/or change tires (change in rolling radius from hub to surface).

The clutch adaptation can only be done through DIS / GT1 and is done with the car running and teaches in the slip point for the clutch grab. Much like when you get into a strange car that is MT and you feel out the first engagement of the clutch.

·
2,149 Posts
OP, very nice job and choices.. Great to see a refresh of the trans done correctlty..

Btw, i am guesing your shop of course bled the smg hydraulics.. Sometimes it needs to be done twice.. This is pertaining to the clunks you still exhibit but fwiw, some clunking is normal with the smg, ive driven a few low mile smg's and my own 30K mile smg, clunking at times was always evident..

Interesting point about the flywheel. I have read that the dual mass flywheel cannot be re-surfaced.

So is it ok to use the old flywheel without resurfacing it. Or is it better to get a new flywheel.

Thanks
You are correct it cannot.. I believe bmw recommends a new flywheel with clutch.. I wouldn't waste the effort of dropping the trans for a clutch change without the flywheel, even tho the flywheel is expensive component..

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, that adaptation is for when you reset tire pressures and/or change tires (change in rolling radius from hub to surface).

The clutch adaptation can only be done through DIS / GT1 and is done with the car running and teaches in the slip point for the clutch grab. Much like when you get into a strange car that is MT and you feel out the first engagement of the clutch.
No he is correct. The 60 roll with the up and down shift lever adaptation is for calibrating the clutch engagement sensor between every 500 miles or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts