BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Not sure what's going on but my new 08' M5 doesnt feel half as fast as my 2006 M5 which I just got rid of.

In S6, P500sport, DSC off, etc.. everything's on but it just doesnt feel the same. My last M5 had neck snapping shifts into all gears, this one just feels like M mode isnt even on. The shifting is soooooo slow in all gears while floored.

Someone please remind me of something Im doing wrong lol. Something's not right. :confused:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
my friend has an 06 and he said after they updated his software he felt it was a bit slower... I love mine... Its a beast

·
Registered
120 Posts
I almost feel the same way about my '08 M6 vs. my '6 M5. The '06 M5 after 25K miles or so just seemed much more snappy than the new M6 (before I added ESS software on the M6, '06 M5 was stock).

But then I remembered the '06 M5 from the beginning and it definitely "loosened" up as the miles were put on and it was run harder and harder. The new M6 has under 2k miles on it so far so I figured it wasn't fair to compare them just yet. A few thousand more miles on the M6, running it harder and harder and I am sure it will be get a lot snappier.

The SMG shifting between my '06 and '08 is night and day, even before adding the ESS software. Overall much smoother and even "D" modes are at least drivable and bearable (but still unthinkable).

So for now I am going to reserve any judgment comparing the two.

-David

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I think the later versions feels more solidly built, more composed and therefore not as "fast" as the earlier models (while it is).
Hello,

Not sure what's going on but my new 08' M5 doesnt feel half as fast as my 2006 M5 which I just got rid of.

In S6, P500sport, DSC off, etc.. everything's on but it just doesnt feel the same. My last M5 had neck snapping shifts into all gears, this one just feels like M mode isnt even on. The shifting is soooooo slow in all gears while floored.

Someone please remind me of something Im doing wrong lol. Something's not right. :confused:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you take the charcoal filter out?
no, i have not removed the charcoal filters.

I havent done anything to it, it's barely broken in. My last 06' would snap into gear in a split second, this one shifts as if it's in D. Sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the later versions feels more solidly built, more composed and therefore not as "fast" as the earlier models (while it is).
the acceleration feels normal, but when it shifts, it really lagggs, as if it were in S4 mode. Cant be right. Im taking it over to the dealership today to see what's up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Please post the results after the dealer looks at it. I am interested to hear what they say about it...

DB

·
Registered
831 Posts
the acceleration feels normal, but when it shifts, it really lagggs, as if it were in S4 mode. Cant be right. Im taking it over to the dealership today to see what's up.
I understand you can "reset" the paddles.
I've never done that, but wonder if that might be the issue...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not true....each year got better. Trust me, I know!
I wish that were the case in my situation. Maybe I got a lemon, who knows... All I know is that my 06' used to chirp into gear in full throttle and this one has hesitation in the shifting. Sucks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
after talking to my service guy... i do slightly remember my last m5 getting more aggressive with age. Apparently, the car adapts to my driving patterns and since it's barely broken in, it still thinks it's being driven by an old lady and feels sluggish. He told me to drive it hard and it will get more aggressive. We'll see...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,

NBM5,

How many miles does your 08 have? I was about to give my M6 until it reached 2300 miles as it was extremely slow... from 2300 miles onwards it just started to get faster and faster.

I've been told that the software ads power every 350 miles until 3,000 miles is reached.

From day one to now, (just above 3000 miles) the cars power has increased by at least by 20%.

·
Registered
649 Posts
NBM5,

How many miles does your 08 have? I was about to give my M6 until it reached 2300 miles as it was extremely slow... from 2300 miles onwards it just started to get faster and faster.

I've been told that the software ads power every 350 miles until 3,000 miles is reached.

From day one to now, (just above 3000 miles) the cars power has increased by at least by 20%.
I HAVE NEVER HEARD THAT?? do you have anything to support this therory?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
NBM5,

This has to be a joke.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Just more of a theme that the break-in is computer limited. Those in the know have disproven this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There are 06 for sale

no, i have not removed the charcoal filters.

I havent done anything to it, it's barely broken in. My last 06' would snap into gear in a split second, this one shifts as if it's in D. Sucks.
If 08 model does not deliver expected performance: The good news is thare are cheap 06 for sale, so you may want to consider an upgrade...
:cheers:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Must be something odd with your car. My 08 shifts violently fast on S6

1 - 20 of 28 Posts