BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a MY 2000 M5, with about 80,000 miles. It's in fantastic shape visually, and driving it seems pretty solid. I'm having it fully looked over at the BMW dealer (doing a full CPO check, but just without the warranty) this Friday.

I don't really care about the angel eyes, rear lights, black gauges, newer steering wheel or half-nav screen. If they begin to bother me, I can always swap them out or upgrade later (some of it anyhow). I really don't want to spend the extra money on a newer model year if I don't have to.

What I am concerned about is obviously something going terribly wrong. Lots have said (I've searched and read lots) go for a 2001 if possible, but is the MY 2000 really THAT BAD???

I'd like some objective advice please, both from those that have been lucky enough to have had both (MY 2000 and MY 2001 - 2003), and some realistic feedback on it all.

This is a really great board and I hope to join you guys soon!!!!!! (until I get my E60 lovelove M5 of course!)

·
10,445 Posts
In general, you'd want to buy the best example of the breed that you can afford. Generally this would also mean the newest model, since that would generally have the various factory updates that inevidibly come along, less milage, and maybe a warranty.
That said, i've yet to see anything documented that implies an 00 is not as good of a car as an 01 or later. They are older, generally have more milage on them, so there is more potential for stuff to wear out.
My 00 has been pretty troublefree, after some initial stuff went wrong just after purchase (all repaired under warranty). I'm approacing 60k miles. I know of a few people in the 75k+ range who may be able to chime in with more advice.
These are not inexpensive cars, to buy, maintain or repair. I think you need to have some money budgeted for stuff in the future (besides mods!). If you can get the car cpo'd that'd be nice. I look at aftermarket warranties as insurance policies, and like insurance, the odds are against you making money on them.
I agree with you on the cosmetic stuff, i like the older style headlamps, didn't care about the led tail lamps, steering wheel, nav screen etc (although i did later upgrade the nav system). At the time I was shopping, for the money i wanted to spend, i could have a wide selection of 00's, or a less pristine 01. I went with the 00, with a cpo warranty, and have been really pleased overall.If the car in question passes the dealer's inspection (see if they'll do a compression test) and has a good service history, and the price is right, i'd go for it.
Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was in the same situation as Mottati when i was shopping for mine. Either go for a 00 and have a wider selection to choose from or go for a higher mile 01. I ended up going with 00 and have not regretted it. I have swapped out everything on mine and i havent had any of the problems some people seem to wanna pin on only 00 models. I say if you like the car and its been taken care of, go for it.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Just check my signature...no problems other than the norm for the breed. Still love it and I drive it virtually every day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2000 as well 75,000 miles still running strong, and on the original clutch. Just watch out for the MAFS and the clutch. Other than that I feel it still pulls as strong as an '03 would with half the miles. Like you stated you're not interested in the little visual goodies that the newer ones had. And I think if you ever feel like it in the future, you may make yours exactly like the newer ones, with exception of steering wheel.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I love mine, it was just as quick as another M5 i raced with a few Dinan goodies. The CPO covers almost an issues I've had. I got the angel eyes because they improve the looks of the car a whole lot, IMO.

-Drew

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I've got an '00 w/ 75K miles, and she runs as strong today as when I picked her up in Spartanburg--in fact stronger according to the local DynoJet.

I've had a number of things taken care of under factory warranty (VANOS solenoid, 02 sensors, MAFS, etc.) but those issues were not unique to the 2000 model year. Mine's an early (02/00) production, 10W60 model, and has NEVER consumed more than 1/2L oil between ~7K oil changes.

If you've got a good example and she checks out, then pull the trigger and enjoy!! I've had 4.5+ years of daily-driving bliss with my machine, and I don't foresee an end to this relationship.

Good luck!
-Dave

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the great comments!

of course if the car checks out I think I am going to pull the trigger. As I'm sure many of us know on this board, the hardest (or most fun) part of buying a car are the moments before.

Again, I hope the car will be a good one. Regardless, I look forward to any comments or anything else that you may have fixed as you get to this higher mileage.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
adelaide said:
I'm having it fully looked over at the BMW dealer (doing a full CPO check, but just without the warranty)
Wait a minute...

are you saying you will pay the dealer for the standard CPO check up but NOT get the extended cpo warranty?

That is worthless.

Sorry. but at best the cpo inspection is a cosmetic check with a fluid check, tire and brake pad check.

You need to get a complete service history.. have the MAFs and VANOS been looked at? Any other service? If you are buying a car with no warranty (extended or cpo) then you canget very burned. One major repair and you've paid for the differnece beween an "as is-no warranty" purchase and a 2001 with a warranty...

My 2 cents-

Ard

B

·
0 Posts
2000 models have no relevant differences that affect relaibility or performance. It is best to buy the cleanest, best documented, and lowest mileage example, no matter what the year.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the CPO rules in Canada are a little different than in the US. The max they certify up here is until 75,000 miles, and the dealer markup is HUGE.

As well, there are a lot less M5's to choose from and it's a bit of a pain to bring one from the US.

The dealer is doing a full test (he's a friend) including engine, suspension, leak test, etc., so it's definitely much more than a cosmetic test.

Anyhow, thanks for all the comments above, please keep them coming. Test is tomorrow morning at 9:00 am. Anything besides the above I should tell the technician about?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
You should familiarize yourself with M5s in general. Go visit a few more dealers and take M5s with low mileage for testdrives. This will give you a benchmark and feel for what the car should sound/feel/handle like. Unless you are familiar with M5s any M5 might appear to be performing super.

If the MY 2000 you are interested in is just like the best of the abovementioned cars, (except for perhaps unavoidable interior wear) buy it.

About MAFs, O2s, and cam sensors: it is more a question of when - not if.

Best Regs,

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in a similar boat - I am looking at a MY 2000 with 67,000Kms on it, CPO'd, with about 2 years left on the certified warranty. It seems to be in absolute mint condition cosmetically, and drives very strong. I'm in Victoria, British Columbia - but the car was originally from Toronto.

Unfortunately it is at my local (and only) BMW dealer here in Victoria. Is it wise to trust their CPO inspection process, as they are the ones selling the car?

I am a bit hesitant to be buying such an expensive car with a lot of mileage on the clock, outside of that I'm convincing myself more and more to go for it everytime I think about it. I still can't figure out how the car can be in MINT condition with that kind of mileage (interior and exterior). It's doesn't appear to have been repainted, and CARFAX shows nothing on accident claims.

Dealer is asking $59,900 - I'm thinking around $54,000. What types of numbers are you dealing with over there in the "center of the universe" :) :)

Good luck on your purchase and keep us posted,
Erik

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought it. The car checked out fine. It took 5 hours for them to complete all the tests they did, but aside from a few minor things, the tech said it was in wonderful shape.

I won't get it till next Wednesday (I'm travelling from Sunday till then) so I can't wait.

·
10,445 Posts
adelaide said:
I bought it. The car checked out fine. It took 5 hours for them to complete all the tests they did, but aside from a few minor things, the tech said it was in wonderful shape.

I won't get it till next Wednesday (I'm travelling from Sunday till then) so I can't wait.
Congratulations, post some pics when you can...
Mike

1 - 20 of 23 Posts