BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm look at upgrading my non-angel eyes headlights to angel eyes. My main concern is the special plugs needed for 1999 and earlier MY's.

My car is a 2000, but it was built in 1999, will I need the special plugs (are they called transformers) or wil it be plug and play with my car?

Thanks (as usual) for any help.

billrM5

·
Registered
116 Posts
billrM5 said:
I'm look at upgrading my non-angel eyes headlights to angel eyes. My main concern is the special plugs needed for 1999 and earlier MY's.

My car is a 2000, but it was built in 1999, will I need the special plugs (are they called transformers) or wil it be plug and play with my car?

Thanks (as usual) for any help.

billrM5
Bill, I added AE's to my '00 model. The turn signal sockets need to be replaced (they changed the socket design so that the old sockets don't fit into the new AE style headlight assemblies.

In addition, you have to splice into the wiring harness to get power to the AE's power socket.

I had a friend of mine that's also a BMW technician do the install. Basically he ordered two '01+ turn signal bulb sockets and 2 AE bulb sockets and spliced them into the new headlights.

I hope this info helps...

--Mike

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I just did my upgrade over the weekend. Fairly easy job, about an hour for the first one, and only 15 minutes for the second.

I have an 00 MY as well, but built in early 2000, so not sure if there may be a slight difference. My new headlights came with all the bulbs (and extra AY harness) so didn't need to retrofit anything, but I did notice that the turn signal sockets are different.

Also, not sure if you bought the Euro clear corner lenses, if so, you will notice that the turn signal bulbs are diffierent - not only are they single filament, but they have the 150 degree pins, not the US-standard 180 degree pins. Even so, you just sand out the extra pin (you are OK with just one).

As far as getting the Y-adapter for the extra AE bulb, you can either splice your existing one, or simply buy it. I was lucky that mine came with them, but they are not an expensive part even if you go through the dealer (I recon about $15 a side). If you decide to go your own way (splice), there are some threads that detail exatclty what and how to do it.

Hope this helps

·
10,458 Posts
There are instructions for making the harnesses at www.bmwtips.com. the transformers are for the xenons, which M5's have, so that is not an issue.
If you do a search, you will see some other info and install instructions on this board.
Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am interested in the AE kit as well. Any suggestions on where or what to buy? I am assuming they keep the stock xenons as they are?

·
10,458 Posts
Spdfreak said:
I am interested in the AE kit as well. Any suggestions on where or what to buy? I am assuming they keep the stock xenons as they are?
While i do think there are kits that just add the halos to the stock 00 lamps, i think we're talking about the hella kit, completely new housings, which look like an 01> bmw part.
The best price i found for the hella's was www.germanstuff4you.com which came in at just a bit under $1k shipped from berlin. I got them in just under a week from placing my order.
Mike

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
There are definitely upgade kits to put extra halo rings on the non-angel eye lights (from 2000 MY and before), however it is messy and one can definitely tell there are not the OEM Hellas but rather DIY. Also, I know people who have began getting water and condensation issues, since one needs to open up the lenses and related parts and even if you put it back together again in the same order, there is a risk of water leaking through.

I just upgraded mine to the European Clear Corner OEM Hella AEs and the look is really awesome (especially on dark cars such as the Carbon Black). I got mone from Bekkers for under a grand in only 2 days - excellent service, packaging, the whole deal. You can get the US DOT approved (with Amber side reflectors) for a $100 less, but the look is not as clean in my opinion. These came with all the necessary harnesses which alows for a very easy and quick instal (no splicing or mods necessary). Also, be aware when you are buying from some other places, because sometimes Xenon bulbs may not be included (even though you can use your existing ones, I found the newer ones to be clearer/stronger [perhaps the new scratch free lenses had something to do with that as well]).

Lastly, there are some sites selling the Demon Eyes setup - same as Angel Eyes, except much much brighter halos (they are almost a headlight in itself, perhaps using xenon-type bulbs!). Two major drawbacks: they are not OEM (not Hella but rather made in China/Korea/Taiwan), and you will loose the auto-leveling feature. There are a few Beast owners on the Board that have posted pics, look really good, but for me the 2 negative factors I mentioned outwieghted the one benefit.

Good Luck! You will be happy either way you go.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had mine done by a shop and ordered from Bekkers Imports. Be careful as some of the upgrades will no longer allow the autoleveling lights to function.

TripleD

·
Registered
328 Posts
I did OEM and did the bmwtips.com, I bought

02 angel eyes, without the ballasts, as I had them
in my 2000 already. It was one of the better upgrades
on this car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts