BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My experience was slightly different than others have reported. They (Peter Pan - San Mateo, CA) did NOT change the oil, though they topped it up - however they did change ther transmission and differential oil. They also checked for any diagnostic codes and found none.

And they washed it for me.

I had a Seville STS with Northstar engine for a rental - it actually didn't suck as much as I expected. But it was sure nice to get back into my M5!

·
Registered
22 Posts
How much oil are you using? I just got a message to check engine oil level today.
I have 1025 miles on my car. I put in a liter
and will check it in the morning.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I needed a quart after 1st 1000 miles. 1200 mi service was actually at about 1500 miles - they topped it up but it wasn't down a full quart. They said they are seeing a range of 600 miles to 1500 miles per quart - so I'm right in the middle of that range.

I'd be interested to hear from people with more than 10,000 miles on their cars - did consumption go down? When? Does it still burn some? How much?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have tacked this on to the earlier "1200 mi service" thread. Looks like many of our non-U.S. brothers (and sisters?) DID get their oil changed at the 1200 mi / 2000km service.

Anyone in the U.S. had the dealer change engine oil at 1200 mi. service?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Greg

I would be worried if they have not changed your oil at the initial service. The whole idea of the first 1500km is to run the beast in - it is a well known fact that small particles of matter are sure to be flushed out in the first change.

It is in the BMW service book for the oil to be changed at first service.

Andrew E

·
Registered
23 Posts
In the USA service booklet, no oil change is called for at 1200 miles -- only tranny and diff. fluids. I paid my dealer to do an oil and filter change -- perhaps overkill with modern synthetics, but it puts my mind at ease with all those metal shavings from break-in floating around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts